Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Reheating Coconut Oil... How many times? page

  1. #1
    GrokON's Avatar
    GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    315

    Reheating Coconut Oil... How many times?

    Hubby and I just got a compact deep fryer. We would like to use it with coconut oil (refined, so it is more neutral tasting and more stable... We save the virgin stuff for other things!)

    How many times can I reheat the oil safely?

    Thanks!
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

    "Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

  2. #2
    Nady's Avatar
    Nady is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,263
    Tips and Warnings
    Cover the fryer after use with a lid or large plate to keep the oil fresher. Change the oil if it turns an amber color, smells foul and gets thick after much use.


    Read more: How To Deep Fry With Coconut Oil | LIVESTRONG.COM
    I think you're good to go~

  3. #3
    Darz's Avatar
    Darz is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Observable Universe
    Posts
    270
    I wouldn't use the refined stuff ever and If I were I'd use it probably once

  4. #4
    john_e_turner_ii's Avatar
    john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Posts
    2,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    I wouldn't use the refined stuff ever and If I were I'd use it probably once
    For what reason would you not used refined coconut oil?

  5. #5
    Darz's Avatar
    Darz is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Observable Universe
    Posts
    270
    bleached, deodorized and could be partially or fully hydrogenated

  6. #6
    john_e_turner_ii's Avatar
    john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Posts
    2,105
    I use Spectrum Refined Organic coconut oil for my frying. I think it's safe. If not, oh well. I only use it once in a while.

  7. #7
    GrokON's Avatar
    GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    bleached, deodorized and could be partially or fully hydrogenated
    As refined goes, it's the good stuff. It is from Omega Nutrition and it is "Organic, naturally saturated, expeller pressed, non-hydrogenated, and free of trans fats".

    Obviously virgin is excellent. From a smoke point perspective, though, it is not better than refined. Refined is more stable (I don't think anyone argues that) so what logical reason would there be to only use it once?
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

    "Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

  8. #8
    MudLily's Avatar
    MudLily is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    bleached, deodorized and could be partially or fully hydrogenated
    I bought the wrong coconut oil, and I'd like to understand the possible consequences of using it. Can anyone explain how my body's reaction to/use of refined will be different from virgin?

  9. #9
    john_e_turner_ii's Avatar
    john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Posts
    2,105
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    As refined goes, it's the good stuff. It is from Omega Nutrition and it is "Organic, naturally saturated, expeller pressed, non-hydrogenated, and free of trans fats".

    Obviously virgin is excellent. From a smoke point perspective, though, it is not better than refined. Refined is more stable (I don't think anyone argues that) so what logical reason would there be to only use it once?
    That's good to know. I used unrefined for a while, but it would turn brown and burn quickly. The refined stays a nice golden color when cooking, and lasts a long time. I also think it fries food to a better crisp than unrefined.

  10. #10
    GrokON's Avatar
    GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    315
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    That's good to know. I used unrefined for a while, but it would turn brown and burn quickly. The refined stays a nice golden color when cooking, and lasts a long time. I also think it fries food to a better crisp than unrefined.
    How many times do you reuse it before dumping, on average? I'm trying to decide if it'll need to be replaced from a health/safety perspective before we are just grossed out by it and want to change it anyway. LOL
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

    "Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •