Thread: Q - Coconut flour page

Darz is offline Senior Member

Q - Coconut flour

Primal Fuel
    Is the texture of coconut flour exactly like wheat flour (fine) or is it more coarse like sand?

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I just happened to buy some this morning and it is like flour - finely ground. The store where I bought it had three other brands too and they all seemed similarly textured. I haven't used it yet...

interesting, cause I've been trying to make my own and as much as I grind it, it just won't get near the texture to that of wheat flour.
    Last edited by Darz; 03-31-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    The brand I buy is very fine textured, like wheat flour. If you make it into dough, it won't have structure like wheat dough does; it won't pull or stretch or be very good for pastry-like things, it just sorta falls apart. I use it to make pancakes (mix banana, coconut flour, egg, stir, cook it in a skillet) and sometimes my mom has me make her a vanilla "pound cake" out of it.

you reckon it can be used as the base of a cheesecake, by mixing it with butter - cause the final product (base) should be consistent yet crumbly?

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I love the stuff, but it is very dry and VERY thirsty. I'm not sure if mixing it with butter alone would yield a decent cheesecake crust, but I'm hoping you'll report back if you try it!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    If you eat nuts like almonds, they make a nice crust for cheesecakey things.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

I might try it this month for the sake of it - it was meant to be used in a coconut bread recipe but I got plenty of time. Will certainly try the nuts base in the future as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    I love the stuff, but it is very dry and VERY thirsty. I'm not sure if mixing it with butter alone would yield a decent cheesecake crust, but I'm hoping you'll report back if you try it!
    Well I've tweaked my mother's wonderful cheesecake recipe to a primal version, and for the crust I've used homemade near-ground coconut flour - tomorrow I'll let you know how it turned out!

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    Well I've tweaked my mother's wonderful cheesecake recipe to a primal version, and for the crust I've used homemade near-ground coconut flour - tomorrow I'll let you know how it turned out!
    Well, today I tried my half a recipe trial cheesecake and it was very good but it still needs to be perfected in some aspects; the coconut as crust went really well, it has the same texture as if I had used crackers, and it gives a flavour to the cake that I'm still not sure what to make of it.