Thread: The Prodigal Son - A Primal Reinvention in London page

ChrisJ is offline Member

A Primal Reinvention in London

Primal Fuel
    Dear MDA Community,

It's been a while.

I've been on some crazy adventures for the last couple of years. I've strayed back and forth from the primal way of living, not by my own will, but by my own mistakes.

I've just moved back to the UK, after a long time spent in a dark place where I should not have stayed so long. I'm here to move forward with my life.

I'm here to get primal!

Over the coming months, and possibly years, I'm going to share with you how a person can allow themselves to fall into the deepest, darkest holes of human existence.

And I'd like you all to be a part of my journey back.

Current goals:
    Units The Beginning By the end of April The Goal
    exercise daily hours 0 1 2
    fun daily hours 1 3 5
    sleep daily hours 4.5 6 ?
    work daily hours 14 10 8
    weight kg 63 65 75
    pushups max reps 35 60 200
    max deadlift kg ? ? ?
    run a mile mins 9 8 5
    Last edited by ChrisJ; 03-31-2012 at 05:22 PM.

ChrisJ is offline Member
    I'm 24 years old. I've never been overweight. I've never been sick. I've also never been completely happy.

What has depression got to do with Primal Living? If you're asking yourself that question, you probably haven't been around here much.

I've been through waves of depression through most of my life. The most recent phase culminated in the end of 6 year relationship with a girl I wanted to marry.

I graduated from university in 2009. When I say graduated, I crawled out the door with a piece of paper that said I'd done just well enough to not fail utterly. I had worked 80 hour weeks for three years to get that piece of paper.

This is clearly an indication that something was wrong with my working methods, my lifestyle, everything. At the time I was vaguely aware of this, but felt powerless to do anything to change it, but that's not important now. What's important is that after 3 years of trying so hard and failing over and over to succeed, I was tired. I was really, really tired.

And for three months or so, I couldn't even pick up the self confidence to write a job application with any conviction that I could actually do the job - whatever that job was. It took me until about 5 months after my graduation to start working... and when I started working, I started to find my feet again.

And it was a few months into this job that I discovered Mark's Daily Apple, and primal living, and it was great. It took me a while, but I learned to make better choices about how I ate, I built an appetite for exercise, and I was making just enough time to pursue my own interests that I was really excited about life. And then everything changed...

Jumping forward to now. I've just moved to London, and I'm doing an internship that should soon turn into the first job of a career I know will make me happy. I'm also technically homeless, but that's ok, because the world is full of wonderful people who are supporting me through this time.

But it's a knife edge, and I know what happens if I don't change the way I live. The best I have ever felt is when I follow my own set of primal rules

These are my initial goals:
    Work in a job where I have enough play-time to learn to love life again.
    Eat only the food that I know makes me feel great.
    Find the desire to exercise again
    Find a martial arts class and remember how much fun it can be.
    And most importantly, make real connections with people who want the same kind of life as me.

And I'm going to need a little advice.

What should I do first?

Oh yeah. All the above goals must be accomplished while homeless, with no income, and I know nobody in the city.

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member