Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salt in Stuff page

GrokON is offline Senior Member

Salt in Stuff

Primal Fuel
    Do you let the salt bother you in stuff like tuna, salmon, canned mackerel, or prosciutto that otherwise have "clean" ingredient lists?

I am eating more fish than I ever have before, partially in canned form. I stick to good salt at home in my cooking, and I know the salt in these products isn't my good salt... But should I be concerned?

Thanks!
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Only be concerned if it has negative effects on you. I retain water easily, so I watch my sodium intake and feel it right away when I overdo it. Potassium-rich foods will help balance it out; be sure your potassium intake is at least double your sodium intake.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Only be concerned if it has negative effects on you. I retain water easily, so I watch my sodium intake and feel it right away when I overdo it. Potassium-rich foods will help balance it out; be sure your potassium intake is at least double your sodium intake.
    Second this. I myself am quite sensitive to sodium, too much and everything I drink just stays with me for days. If you're eating this stuff and not having any negative side effects, I say keep with it.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Well, how many canned fish products are you consuming? Like, are they staples? From purely a sodium intake point of view, it's probably not a problem. For the average american, huge salt intakes are coming from sodium in breads and crackers. Depending on your diet, I'd argue it's nearly impossible to overdue salt. When I ate strictly Atkins for several years, I used table salt liberally and never had a problem with sodium levels.

My understanding is that the difference between table salt and sea salt is that table salt (which I assume is what canned foods is packed in) lacks minerals that sea salts have. At the same time, not all sea salts are created equal. Some sea salts have more sodium by weight than table salts and some have less. If you're concerned about sodium levels, you could probably give the contents of those canned products a good rinse and eliminate some of the salt content.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    For me, no~ but then I take unprocessed sea salt as a supplement, otherwise, I perspire 'too much' and end up dehydrated. Just one of those bothersome details that happens when you live in the (but it's a dry heat) desert. Suggestion, just make sure your other trace minerals (electrolytes) are up and your body will throw off any excess sodium chloride. B-6 helps to keep things in balance too.

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    ...be sure your potassium intake is at least double your sodium intake.
    That sounds pretty tough to do. I get potassium from sweet potatoes and coconut water but still have to supplement or I get crampy. Do you have any suggestions for upping potassium intake?

Yes! "No-Salt" contains potassium chloride and seems to be the easiest way to supplement potassium that I have found. Only 1/4 teasoon contains 650mg of potassium! Any potassium pill on the market are regulated at only 90mg each. (Pitiful, really!)
    Heaviest: 1-22-2012 = 203 lbs, of being skinny fat, beginning PB
    Current: = 182 lbs. 14% body fat.
    Goal: 175 lbs. was made in April 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
    Yes! "No-Salt" contains potassium chloride and seems to be the easiest way to supplement potassium that I have found.
    I think I remember the Drs. Eades recommending this as well. I'll have to take a look at it. Thanks for the recommendation.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Yep, NoSalt... it tastes like BUTT, but it does the job. I like dissolve it in water and shoot it... with a really good chaser to wash the flavor outa my mouth! LOL
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Yep, NoSalt... it tastes like BUTT, but it does the job. I like dissolve it in water and shoot it... with a really good chaser to wash the flavor outa my mouth! LOL
    Do you think it is strong enough to negatively affect the flavor of bone broth or marinara? Can I get away with using it on eggs without gagging?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast