Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dietary Menthol as Cold Thermogenesis / Cold Adaptation Supplement? page

gambolputty is offline Junior Member

Dietary Menthol as Cold Thermogenesis / Cold Adaptation Supplement?

Primal Fuel
    I came across this study and found it quite interesting so I thought I would share it here. I am presently at the face dunking stage of the CT protocol. I would love to think that adding menthol to my diet could help speed the CT process.

I would love to hear feed back from more knowledgeable members.

Activation of the cold-sensing TRPM8 channel triggers UCP1-dependent thermogenesis and prevents obesity

Abstract

Brown adipose tissue (BAT) is an energy-expending organ that produces heat. Expansion or activation of BAT prevents obesity and diabetes. Chronic cold exposure enhances thermogenesis in BAT through uncoupling protein 1 (UCP1) activation triggered via a β-adrenergic pathway. Here, we report that the cold-sensing transient receptor potential melastatin 8 (TRPM8) is functionally present in mouse BAT. Challenging brown adipocytes with menthol, a TRPM8 agonist, up-regulates UCP1 expression and requires protein kinase A activation. Upon mimicking long-term cold exposure with chronic dietary menthol application, menthol significantly increased the core temperatures and locomotor activity in wild-type mice; these effects were absent in both TRPM8−/− and UCP1−/− mice. Dietary obesity and glucose abnormalities were also prevented by menthol treatment. Our results reveal a previously unrecognized role for TRPM8, suggesting that stimulation of this channel mediates BAT thermogenesis, which could constitute a promising way to treat obesity.

Link:

Activation of the cold-sensing TRPM8 channel triggers UCP1-dependent thermogenesis and prevents obesity

A note on safety: While menthol is GRAS for human consumption, there are limits. Please note: Ingested pure menthol can be poisonous - as little as a teaspoonful (1 gram per kilogram of body weight) can be fatal (http://www.rx.com/reference/natural/Peppermint.jhtml). The estimated acceptable daily intake is up to 200 micrograms per kilogram of body weight (Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 1993). Dr. James Duke at the USDA Agricultural Research Center estimates that the LD50 (dose at which half the animals die) for menthol is higher than coffee, oral LD50 in rats of 192 mg/kg (CRC Handbook of Medicinal Herbs, 1987).
    Last edited by gambolputty; 03-31-2012 at 09:59 AM.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    when you're at the face dunking stage of any process, it's gone too far! no seriously, doesn't this feel stupid?

and no, menthol will have no effect on body temp.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    You think it would feel stupid. Like sheep following the Quilt.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Putting the rudeness aside, this kind of research seems to be much in the same vein as that which has gotten us into our current health crises. Discover how a small part of the metabolism works, to some degree, find a stimulant or antagonist for it, prescribe that agent, fuck people up with the unstudied/unwelcome/swept-under-the-carpet consequences.

CT seems to be a real phenomenon of uncertain value. If you want to pursue it, I'd suggest exposing yourself to cold rather than risk poisoning yourself with menthol. Why take risks when the potential for gain is not clearly defined or undisputed?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

jakey is offline Senior Member
    rudeness, whatever... ask yourself if dunking your face into cold water in order to lose weight feels stupid. just ask yourself. if you can't answer 'yes' honestly... houston, we have a problem.

otzi Guest
    gambolputty - Sad to see your first post get shot down so violently! I say, if you can incorporate the cold into your fitness routine, you will be the better for it. Whether you are a wild-eyed follower of the magical Dr. Kruse, as they are often portrayed, or you have read Ray Cronise or Time Ferris' ideas on CT, or maybe you heard about Wim Hof ("Becoming the Iceman"), cold is a way to boost metabolism and garner long-term rewards. You found a good study with menthol and mice, there are some gems of info in this study that people should take note of. BAT and UCP-1 are the biggies. You don't need menthol to get there. Green tea and resveratrol are safer alternatives and also linked to BAT and UCP-1.

Where I suspect this study is headed, is to find a way to speed up CT and make something marketable for growing BAT without subjecting oneself to the cold.

I guarantee if they come out with a pill to grow BAT and increase metabolism by XX%, it will make people very rich and it will fly off the shelves.

Keep learning and keep on with the face dunks, as dumb as they may seem. Graduate to cold showers and cold swims and report back here what you find.

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    Amgen is working to develop a menthol like drug as we speak....So jakey is a the real joker.

gambolputty is offline Junior Member
    Thanks otzi. I was surprised that my post attracted a Troll in less than an hour. Is that the norm for this forum?

Anyway, I have long thought that our bodies seem to be most robust when they are challenged by tough conditions. If we are perpetually conditioned for 72F, wouldn't our bodies benefit from having to endure cold?

We certainly benefit from activities that challenge our muscles and skeleton (weight and resistance training) our vascular system (cardio, sprinting, etc) and our minds (creative activities, education, etc). Why would thermal challenges be any different?

My post was more to investigate whether menthol might provide the same benefit for supporting CT that isolated protein supplementation offers folks doing resistance training. Not essential to achieving benefits, but magnifies the effect of training efforts.

otzi Guest
    I fell in love with the cold this Winter! How could it NOT make you tougher? There may well be a way to use menthol, I have a feeling this CT stuff is going to explode in the next few years as Dr. Oz and others jump on the bandwagon.

Did you notice the post above from DigitalSurgeon? That is Dr. Jack Kruse. He has a website/blog/forum and talks a lot about CT. I'm AKMan on Home | JackKruse.com - Jack Kruse

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I fell in love with the cold this Winter! How could it NOT make you tougher? There may well be a way to use menthol, I have a feeling this CT stuff is going to explode in the next few years as Dr. Oz and others jump on the bandwagon.

Did you notice the post above from DigitalSurgeon? That is Dr. Jack Kruse. He has a website/blog/forum and talks a lot about CT. I'm AKMan on Home | JackKruse.com - Jack Kruse
    Ok...if that nutball idiot promotes it I'm pretty sure it's BUNK. He also promotes veganism, heavily... even a "Primal/Paleo" type vegan diet.

That said, I do enjoy my peppermint tea... but that's as far as that is going.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast