Thread: Type 2 Diabetes help please. page

shirlmidd is offline Junior Member

Question Type 2 Diabetes help please.

Shop Now
    Hi I'm Shirley from NE England
    I'm reading The Primal Blueprint which I find very interesting. Having been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year I was advised to eat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI) in order that the blood glucose levels do not rise too much. These foods will also maintain fullness for longer. Low GI foods include pulses, porridge (oatmeal), wholemeal bread etc which in the Primal diet are excluded. Can anyone who has type 2 diabetes tell me what changes they made to their diets to become "Primal?" Do you eat any carbs at all? If so how do you measure the amount you have-is there a reference I can access to measure carbs? It's a lot to take in but seems like good sound sense to me & want to prevent diabetic complications & lose weight.
    Looking forward to replies & any advice.
    Thank you
    Shirl

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I had a client who reversed his T2D with just by-the-book primal eating and resistance training, yoga and walking as exercise.

He was T2D for 25 years, reversed it in a couple months.

mrsallaway is offline Junior Member
    Hi Shirley,

I'm T2 and use only my diet to control it (so no meds). I personally cut out all grains because they just don't work well for me, both glucose wise and I really disliked the foggy brain and achy joints. I think what's most important is to test a lot and see what your body can handle and what it can't.

I get almost all of my carbs from veggies and have to really watch my protein intake. I try to stay at about 25 total carbs right now, but hope that as my body heals, I can have more. I had started to add low carb processed foods (Atkins bars and low-carb tortillas) and work my way up the (Atkins) ladder, but I started getting higher readings and I gained weight. I find the fewer processed foods I consume, the better I do and feel. I still have higher glucose than I would like (ie fasting and non-fasting has been consistently in the 120s, but I need to get going on some exercise.

Also, I really do think exercise is so important. Even a 30 minute walk can do wonders.

Best of luck to you.

Just follow what Mark has laid out in the book and your type 2 diabetes very well may be gone in a few months.
    Heaviest: 1-22-2012 = 203 lbs, of being skinny fat, beginning PB
    Current: = 182 lbs. 14% body fat.
    Goal: 175 lbs. was made in April 2013.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsallaway View Post

Also, I really do think exercise is so important. Even a 30 minute walk can do wonders.

Best of luck to you.
    Agreed. Exercise is not optional here. I'd say the minimum is 5/hr/wk(can be worked up to) walking and 2 resistance training sessions/wk. If you don't sensitize your muscles to insulin, the process really slows down.