Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb cravings after a fever page

Avalon is offline Junior Member

Carb cravings after a fever

Shop Now
    This is my first time being sick since I began PB almost four months ago, and during the season change from winter to spring that's kind of a record for me. However, yesterday and today I got knocked on my ass by some kind of nasty, and my fever's only recently broken. Still, only 24 hours to break a fever? Not bad, not bat at all.

One weird thing - I've been over my carb cravings since three months ago. I'll crave a really good sandwich on pumpernickel bread every now and then, but it's NOTHING like what it used to be, and I've had no problems finding substitutes when they crop up. But after my fever broke, I felt like I might honestly KILL SOMEONE for a slice of thick, sugary chocolate cake. I haven't been able to shake the craving, and it's been almost 12 hours.

This is my first time having an issue like this while living primal. Is my body talking to me? Could the fever have burnt out my glycogen stores and it's time for a refeed (I tend to stay under 50g of carbs a day)? Or is this the last of the sickness just trying to screw with me? Anyone else experience anything similar?

Thanks in advance guys, here's to feeling better and grok-ing on.
    If you want to reach the end of the trail, first you must find the beginning.
    If you want to be strong enough to walk the trail, trust your feet.
    If you want to go fast, go alone - if you want to go far, go together.

6'0" white female, age 24
    Pre-paleo: 247.8 lbs
    Current weight: 212.8
    Goal: 199.9 (and to rock a two piece bathing suit surfing in Costa Rica this November!)

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    I have found that I got carb cravings after I had food poisoning and a fever. Also in the last part of my cycle they get kind of bad when they were quiet before...
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I've had cravings bad recently. Then again, I've spent about 14 hours vomiting from a stomach virus, so any food sounds amazing right now. Too bad I'm only able to keep water down at the moment.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    I've had cravings bad recently. Then again, I've spent about 14 hours vomiting from a stomach virus, so any food sounds amazing right now. Too bad I'm only able to keep water down at the moment.
    Aw @lex, hope you feel better soon. Get yourself some bone or chicken broth, that at least has SOME calories in it. Hope you feel better soon.

Goal: 199.9 (and to rock a two piece bathing suit surfing in Costa Rica this November!)

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    Aw @lex, hope you feel better soon. Get yourself some bone or chicken broth, that at least has SOME calories in it. Hope you feel better soon.
    I managed to choke down some cod, a bit of mashed potatoes, and a few grapes tonight

This is the third day I've had this, and while I'm not exactly doing great, I'm better than I was when I was uncontrollably vomiting on an hourly basis.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    I say listen to your body- it might be a sign it needs some glucose. Especially since you've been sick, your body may be energy depleted and is calling for some quick energy source. It takes a lot of energy for your body to fight off an infection or virus in your system- thus the need for a quick source of energy. Don't give in to the sugar cravings, have some healthy carbs instead. Once you are feeling 100% better, you can go back to eating 50g of carbs a day if that is optimal for you. I always find that my body is waaaay smarter than I am in terms of knowing what it needs. It's best to give it what it wants and not get in its way of healing.

In asian cultures, they always serve congee (rice porridge) for sick people and people recuperating from surgery and illnesses. I think this is because it is easily digested by the body so it provides quick energy while taking less energy for digestion. You can make it more nutritious by cooking it with some meat broth and some meat and vegetables. This is the asian version of mom's chicken soup.

Here's one recipe:

Chicken Juk | Aeri's Kitchen | Cooking Korean Recipes & Food

Hope you both feel better soon.

PS: @lex- some fresh ginger root boiled in water is great for a stomach virus. You can add some honey to it as well.
    Last edited by Fiji; 03-31-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
    I say listen to your body- it might be a sign it needs some glucose. Especially since you've been sick, your body may be energy depleted and is calling for some quick energy source. It takes a lot of energy for your body to fight off an infection or virus in your system- thus the need for a quick source of energy. Don't give in to the sugar cravings, have some healthy carbs instead. Once you are feeling 100% better, you can go back to eating 50g of carbs a day if that is optimal for you. I always find that my body is waaaay smarter than I am in terms of knowing what it needs. It's best to give it what it wants and not get in its way of healing.
    Thank you for the much needed validation, Fiji - I completely agree that our bodies are definitely smarter than we are when it comes to sickness. Time to break out the sweet potato noodles and chicken broth and see if that doesn't help some, but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just the fever screwing with my mind.

And that 죽 recipe does look very Korean. Five cloves of garlic!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You're not alone in the sick and craving carbs boat. I am currently recovering from a bad cold myself and was very recently suffering from ulcers. The last 3 days found me eating sweet potatoes like you wouldn't believe. And a chocolate bar...or 3...or 5. I lost track, the cough medicine made my mind fuzzy. Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    And a chocolate bar...or 3...or 5. I lost track, the cough medicine made my mind fuzzy. Yep.
    It was the cough medicine. Yup. All the cough medicine, that's what did it. **nods sagaciously**

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    You're body often requires extra protein and glucose in response to a fever or illness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast