Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's not sugar making Australian's fat.... page 2

peril is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    A bit more digging. Brand-Miller popularised the concept of Glycaemic Index and makes a fortune out of selling the low GI mark in Australia. So she has a commercial interest. She is also a zealot:

Talking Heads - Jennie Brand-Miller

So this paper is no surprise. Full of confirmation bias
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    "Professor Brand-Miller told the Herald the emphasis on sugar in diets was ''overblown'' and not enough attention was given to the role of refined starches in obesity."

She has a point. Especially all the refined carb junk food, which are mostly cooked in sunflower oil. Although it's kind of irresponsible to downplay the role of soft drinks which are like poison for the sedentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post

What exactly is meant by "refined sugar"? If they just mean white sugar while leaving out HFCS and other sweeteners well...then...that's a problem with the study.
    HFCS isn't really used in Australia. Refined sugar refers to cane sugar.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    '''This is not about commercial interests,'' Professor Brand-Miller says.
    More on commercial interests and the food supply --

Dr. Jay Wortman has just posted a new blog entry:

it struck me that he[an economist] is describing a situation very similar to what we see in the nutritional science and agri-food sector. The way that the influence of monied industry interests has distorted the process in their favour at the expense of the general public is eerily similar in both cases, IMHO. We go on clinging to an obviously discredited paradigm in the face of compelling evidence to the contrary while chronic disease rates rise and health status goes into decline. Why?

I shall be blogging more on this topic soon.
    Dr. Jay's Blog: Jay Wortman, M.D. on the science & clinical experience related to low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets & traditional First Nations style diets

My advice to Australians, were they to ask me (which is admitted unlikely), would be to read what Professor Brand-Miller says by all means, but to also to take a look at Dr. Wortman's forthcoming series. Also, I think people could usefully be aware of the issues raised by people like Eric Schlosser and Joel Salatin. It's a matter of getting informed and becoming aware of many different matters and how they appear to fit together -- and ultimately of people working things out for themselves and forming their own opinions. I think the days of Prof. So-and-so of Such-and-such a university saying "this is about ..." or "this is not about ..." and our taking that at face value are, or should be, gone.

JeffreyS is offline Junior Member
    Refined sugar has fallen steadily in the States since the 70's. It has more than been replaced by HFCS!! We certainly are not as thin as we were in the 70's.

ckck1234 is offline Senior Member
    i want to move there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12