Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHY don't my old favorites taste good anymore? page

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member

WHY don't my old favorites taste good anymore?

Shop Now
    I decided to indulge myself in a "bad" meal and eat one of my favorite meals at a favorite restaurant, sort of a farewell meal. It wasn't really that bad, a chicken tostada salad. The "bad" parts were black beans and a corn tortilla shell. It wasn't as if I were eating something really junky like fast food burger and fries. But I was surprised it did not taste good at all. The beans in particular had a bland taste and terrible texture to me. It used to be so delicious. But, as I was eating it, I found myself wishing for some savory home-made vegetable beef soup instead. I'm curious why, after just a few weeks eating primal, my taste buds would reject my old favorite foods? What's going on physiologically to make what use to taste so good now taste bad?

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    It kind of flipped for me: I found what I used to loathe - as a kid - and began liking them, EVEN CARROTS!
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    It's been happening to me more and more too. My non-primal splurge that I loved, I can't stand anymore. And stuff I'd never eat in the past I totally love now!

Rearden is offline Junior Member
    I'm not sure what a physiological cause would be, but it's happening with us, too. And ugh, when we splurge on a treat made with flour and sugar? Not only does it not taste like it used to, but our hearts start pounding and we feel all wiggly. Yuck. How did I not notice before??

Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    It kind of flipped for me: I found what I used to loathe - as a kid - and began liking them, EVEN CARROTS!
    Yes, that too. I'm eating things like parsnips, turnips, cabbage, and other vegetables I never would have eaten before.
    Still can't do kale though. Yuck!

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnivara View Post
    Yes, that too. I'm eating things like parsnips, turnips, cabbage, and other vegetables I never would have eaten before.
    Still can't do kale though. Yuck!
    Oh, KALE CHIPS are yummy! If you don't like kale, try them. Hubby hates kale in every other form but requests kale chips all the time.

For me, I knew when crappy restaurant pasta stopped being tempting I had become fully primal. I had to get over the physical wheat addiction, but then it was like the fog lifted and I realized pasta that I don't make at home is disgusting. I make excellent meat sauces now, and enjoy them over veggie/kelp "noodles".
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    we took the kids for frozen yogurt tonight and I got the tiniest serving (maybe an ounce) of the tart "natural" yogurt and a scoop of fresh blueberries and some almonds. I was so looking forward to my treat and the yogurt was too damn sweet! I ate the berries and nuts and ended up tossing the yogurt and wishing I had just had my dark chocolate instead. Oh and raw spinach is my new favorite veg. I used to eat it drenched in dressing or cooked only because I thought it flavorless otherwise. SO NOT TRUE! I also cannot believe how I crave meat now when I am honestly hungry. It is actually a good marker for me to help me determine if it is true hunger or some other reason that I want to eat. I wait to eat breakfast until I think a steak sounds delish.

Quote Originally Posted by primalswan View Post
    Oh and raw spinach is my new favorite veg. I used to eat it drenched in dressing or cooked only because I thought it flavorless otherwise. SO NOT TRUE!
    I avoided spinach most of my life because my mother fed me that canned snot-like stuff when I was young. Because of that I had assumed spinach was horrid in all forms. But fresh raw spinach is a whole different creature. I love a good spinach salad! Cook up some bacon super crispy, crumble it over fresh raw spinach. Mix the hot bacon grease with some red wine vinegar for the dressing. Top with some crumbled hard boiled egg and chopped green onion. Yum!

I used to like sweet wines, like Riesling. Don't like it anymore. Too sweet. I tried a dry Riesling the other day, since it's less sweet. Still too sweet for me. I don't even really like sweet fruit now. I prefer more tart apples, for example, over the sweet varieties. Seems I'm getting more and more sensitive to anything sweet, and it's just too much.

sarah k. is offline Member
    It's so funny how our preferences change, and it's definitely a sign of your body being able to distinguish junk from food. I bet the Mexican stuff you had didn't have any lard in it, which would be traditional, but since people are so lard-phobic, most restaurants sub in soybean or peanut oil. It's such a crime. I wouldn't have that much against a very sporadic meal with lardy beans and corn tortillas, but not the restaurant stuff.

As for me, I used to really love tea. I had Earl Grey with milk and 2 sugars, then went down to 1 sugar. Now, if I put milk in it, it tastes so rotten, and sugar makes it gross. Even heavy cream just tastes kind of sickening. As a lifelong sugar addict, it's been a long, hard road, but it's awesome to think that tootsie rolls and swedish fish don't pose any temptation anymore. I still have a problem with nuts and dried fruit, though even raisins are getting to be severely sweet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast