Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guys, I'm Such An Idiot! Help? page

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member

Guys, I'm Such An Idiot! Help?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been primalish for over a year now, and NOTHING has changed. I'm the same weight, I'm no stronger, I'm no leaner, I'm no faster. I've been very inconsistant with the workouts and sugary treats slipped in far too often. Recently I've been having energy troubles and it's been SO HARD to get up in the morning. And when I'm on the computer at night I get reeeeally hungry.

Now, I never went into the whole figures aspect of food, because I'm very OCD about making lists and I knew if I did it would become an obsession, but today I decided 'What the hell?' I went around the kitchen and wrote down the information of the labels of the majority of the food I eat, and searched for them online if there were no labels.

I noted what I ate today, the usual amount if not slightly more, and when I added all the figures up, I think I've found the answer to my issues (Other than laziness and inconsistancy)! My total calorie intake is around 1000 or less a day.

*facepalm*

I'm also a very impatient, spontaneous, get-an-idea-and-want-to-do-it-straight-away kind of person. So what I want to do is jump straight in and try and get around 2000 calories in tomorrow, along with some heavy exercises to burn some of it off straight away. But my very much CW boyfriend thinks that it would be 'messing with my digestive system and causing problems with my metabolism'. As I tend to be skeptical of anything diet-wise that comes from any source that isn't primal, I thought I'd ask around here first. Is a sudden doubled intake of noms going to screw me up internally or should I transition over a few days?

I know people always tend to ask for stats before replying so.. I'm a 19 year old 5'3" short 99lb lady girl pixie thing who tends to walk around 6000 steps a day 3 days a week, runs around in her garden jumping her rabbits 4 times a week, lifts heavy things at least once a week and only sprints when one of previously mentioned bunnies has wriggled out of their harness and is making a beeline for Mum's vegetable garden!
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

ckck1234 is offline Senior Member
    are you trying to lose weight? if so, why?

Oh no, I'm pretty skinny except for the annoying bit of pudge on my belly that I've had for about8 years now that I'd love to shift. If anything I want to gain muscle weight and get stronger!

ckck1234 is offline Senior Member
    oh i see

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    1) I don't think a 19 year old 99lb girl needs 2000 calories a day... 1000 calories or less is low, even if you're small. You probably realize that you don't have energy, and you get cravings at night, because you're not eating enough. But doubling your calorie intake is probably overkill. I have 40lbs on you, am active, and 2000 calories would be a lot for me...
    2) When you say you're "primal-ish", what do you mean, exactly?

Edited after reading your last post:
    Belly pudge is annoying. It's more about genetics than anything else. If you want to put on muscle then that's great... Your belly will look better for it... But for many of us, that last bit of lower belly only goes away when we completely eliminate inflammatory foods.
    Last edited by secretlobster; 03-30-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PixieKitten View Post
    Now, I never went into the whole figures aspect of food, because I'm very OCD about making lists and I knew if I did it would become an obsession, but today I decided 'What the hell?' I went around the kitchen and wrote down the information of the labels of the majority of the food I eat, and searched for them online if there were no labels.

I know people always tend to ask for stats before replying so.. I'm a 19 year old 5'3" short 99lb lady girl pixie thing who tends
    One....If eating primal you really shouldn't have all that many (if any) labels to be reading.

Two.....5' 3 " adn 99lbs? And your mad your not leaner? Just settle back and enjoy life. I really doubt you need to be any leaner. If you wanna get STRONGER though then you'll have to eat more and lift some more heavy things.

AngloPaleo is offline Member
    Don't kick yourself! Be happy that you have found what was stalling your progress

I don't think increasing progressively or suddenly makes a difference, all diet changes are only meaningful if they are long term.

It's like going straight into strict Primal vs. easing into it: both work if you sustain the lifestyle in the long term, and both methods have their pros and cons. The 'cold turkey' method allows less space for making excuses, but you may well feel like shit for a few days and not work out so brilliantly if you double your calorie intake overnight, just like going Whole30 overnight will make you tired for some days. Doesn't mean it's not working.

Thank you for the advice so far guys, you're really helping!

Secret lobster - By primal-ish I mean when I'm at home I'll eat pretty much 100% primal, but I go over to my boyfriend's house for 3 days nearly every week, and they're pretty CW. They bought me special things when I was vegetarian and they always make sure they have pepperoni and bacon in the fridge while I'm there, but I'm not going to start getting picky when they serve pasta, or hot dogs, with lots of desserts. And the BF loves his Doritos and I just can't say no to them when he's got them out! McDonalds is a semi regualr occurance too x]

Neckhammer, My labels consist of bacon, 93% pork sausages, cheese, butter, milk, soup, frozen fish etc. I have super-sensitive teeth with a fair few cavities but my dentist hates me so I don't go unless I really really really have to, and steak tends to geive me a killer toothache for a while so I don't have it that often.
    I'd really just like to be stronger and to have a flat stomach. My legs are already stronger from 7 years of horseriding and a lifetime of not having a car to get anywhere, but my arms are seriously pitiful and need some muscle!

AngloPaleo, I'm so happy I've figured it out, I just can't believe it took so long! I agree that I'll probably feel like crap the day after tomorrow, but then I've got horse riding first thing in the morning so I won't have any time to mope about it!

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PixieKitten View Post
    Secret lobster - By primal-ish I mean when I'm at home I'll eat pretty much 100% primal, but I go over to my boyfriend's house for 3 days nearly every week, and they're pretty CW. They bought me special things when I was vegetarian and they always make sure they have pepperoni and bacon in the fridge while I'm there, but I'm not going to start getting picky when they serve pasta, or hot dogs, with lots of desserts. And the BF loves his Doritos and I just can't say no to them when he's got them out! McDonalds is a semi regualr occurance too x]
    I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I have to be honest.. If this is how you eat 3 days a week then you're not even primal-ish...

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Um, if eating is giving you a toothache you might want to suck it up and hit the dentist--probably a cavity and you don't to wait until you need an extraction or a root canal. Trust me.

As far as your food intake goes, definitely try eating more, and play around with some good starches, especially on days when you're working hard.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast