Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how wheat made the world fat page

fiercehunter is offline Banned

how wheat made the world fat

Primal Fuel
    An interesting 2 part post. Blogger says carbs aren't really the problem but a lack of nutrients:

How wheat made the world fat: part 1 « Weight loss, gallstones and the obesity crisis
    How wheat made the world fat: part 2 « Weight loss, gallstones and the obesity crisis

But this also, kind of interesting:

If you’ve followed so far, if wheat causes deficiencies causes obesity, there should be links demonstrating these deficiencies right? There are - here’s just one example. In a study of children with celiac disease (remember numbers of celiac could be anywhere from 0.4% to about 30% of the population), untreated suffers had significantly lower levels of Vitamin D.

What vitamin is “significantly lower in obese than in non-obese individuals”? Vitamin D

What are the main causes of low levels of vitamin D? * Insufficient dietary fat, or the inability to absorb dietary fat – from a wheat-damaged gastro-intestinal tract. Funny how the obesity epidemic kicked off in the 1970s when Governments around the world told us to stop eating saturated fat on the back of science that has since totally collapsed isn’t it?

And supplements help too:
    But don’t forget we don’t know what we don’t know, before everyone thinks they can supplement their way out of trouble. I trust the recommended daily vitamin/mineral amounts about as much as I trust the previous advice to ‘avoid all saturated fats’. The chances that science has discovered all the right mineral interactions, right levels of vitamin D, choline, manganese or whatever, and exactly how to take them so you don’t disrupt and inblance another part of your diet is unlikely. But it is possible, and there’s plenty of evidence that simply taking supplements results in weight loss – more on that another day.
    Last edited by fiercehunter; 03-30-2012 at 11:40 AM.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Wheat is evil. I have read Wheat Belly and will avoid wheat at all costs now. Thank you for sharing the info you found.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Let's see 60 Minutes do a story on that!!

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Wheat is evil. I have read Wheat Belly and will avoid wheat at all costs now. Thank you for sharing the info you found.
    I'm not "pro-wheat", but it's not as if the Romans were a bunch of lardasses. It's not about one thing, it's about moderation in all things.

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    The Romans didn't eat the dwarf wheat that we do today. It's silly to say 'moderation in all things.' No, moderation in *some* things, not all.

Quote Originally Posted by keevelish View Post
    The Romans didn't eat the dwarf wheat that we do today. It's silly to say 'moderation in all things.' No, moderation in *some* things, not all.
    Do the French think wheat is evil? What about the Dutch? Are they fat? I mean like American fat? What's silly is pretending not to understand the meaning of the stated quote. Am I required to qualify “do unto others”, with “unless you’re a masochists” to ensure understanding?

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keevelish View Post
    QFT. I think it's erroneous to compare our food production with that of ancient times, it's just so different. The wheat that the Romans consumed was not the same variety which is eaten all over the world today (the mutant dwarf wheat developed in the 50's). Also, milling and processing of wheat is done very differently with our efficient modern machines. In Roman times, grinding of wheat berries into flour would have taken place at home, using hand tools, and I imagine that the final product would have been some pretty coarse and crunchy bread; nothing like bread made nowadays from the dust-fine, white enriched flour that forms the bulk of the typical western diet.

Quote Originally Posted by dboxing View Post
    Do the French think wheat is evil? What about the Dutch? Are they fat? I mean like American fat? What's silly is pretending not to understand the meaning of the stated quote. Am I required to qualify “do unto others”, with “unless you’re a masochists” to ensure understanding?
    Never been to France myself, but what I've heard about the French is that they eat less processed foods than we do in the States. I've also heard that they take much smaller servings.

Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post
    Never been to France myself, but what I've heard about the French is that they eat less processed foods than we do in the States. I've also heard that they take much smaller servings.
    Ah, moderation, in other words...

Quote Originally Posted by dboxing View Post
    Ah, moderation, in other words...
    I'm reluctant to pin Americans' obesity purely on some kind of epidemic country-wide moral collapse. I do believe it has something to do with our food being engineered to make us hungry a short time later (so we buy more). "Moderation" for susceptible individuals becomes impossible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast