Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood work results of a former 340 pounder page

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member

Blood work results of a former 340 pounder

Primal Fuel
    Morning all,
    For life insurance purposes I had to get a complete blood and urine work up. It was interesting to see because I have been primal for over a year now. I realize blood work might not be too exciting but its nice to know that the inside is looking as good as the outside.

I find it odd that my LDL + HDL is 127 but it says the total cholesterol is 135. Not sure how that works.

I plugged my numbers in on a little online calculator and it told me how great I was :

Your Total Cholesterol of 135 is DESIRABLE
    Your LDL of 77 is OPTIMAL
    Your HDL of 50 is NORMAL
    Your Triglyceride level of 40 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
    Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.70 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
    Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.649 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
    Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.800 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

I have all the other numbers (like 30 other criteria) but I thought they seemed boring. Happy to share if anyone wants or is comparing.

I found it funny that on the blood Glucose test (which they say normal is 60 - 109 mg/dl) they couldn't find anything so just have NVG (no value given)

All in all apparently I am obnoxiously healthy ! :-)
    Went Primal January 24, 2011
    Lost 105 pounds in 5 months
    Currently 130 fat pounds down which is 120 pounds on the scale while putting on 10 pounds of muscle
    According to my kids I am looking more and more like the Hulk every day

Ealachan is offline Member
    Sweet! Posts like this steel my resolve to stick with things. I've always been fortunate to have good labs even as heavy as I am, but I know things can only get better as I lose weight and try to achieve a similar level of "obnoxiously healthy"!
    --
    Half-assed Primal on and off for a couple years. Started back in earnest in January 2012.
    Leptin Reset started 2/29/12
    5'11" - Female - 32 Y/O
    HW: 410+ SW: 375 CW: 340-ish
    goals acheived thus far: Have ditched high-blood pressure medicine, was able to comfortably fit into a plane seat for my vacation in August 2012.

Fatty68 is offline Junior Member
    Great news! I think I used that calculator too! I just had my blood work done too, and funny thing is the doctor told me over the phone that my blood sugar was really low and he wouldn't even comment on it- i think he was expecting it to be high because everyone else in my family has problems with it. I was a 320 pounder my self down 50 pounds.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalClay View Post
    I find it odd that my LDL + HDL is 127 but it says the total cholesterol is 135. Not sure how that works.
    Total cholesterol is HDL + LDL + Triglycerides/5

Great numbers, by the way.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    awesome!!!!

js290 is offline Senior Member

peril is offline Senior Member
    TC < 160 is associated with increased risk of death by violence, suicide and cancer

Also the missing fractions are IDL and VLDL. So TC = HDL + LDL + IDL + VLDL. Trig/5 is a very crude estimate of VLDL
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to say, your TC is not good. Very low cholesterol is not better than very high cholesterol.
    "A person with a cholesterol level below 180 mg/dl had twice the risk of stroke compared with someone with a level of 230 mg/dl."
    Low Cholesterol Can Be Dangerous Too - By Nancy Hirsch, Certified Nutritionist

Appreciate the article. My doctor was happy about it and more importantly so was the life insurance company My father and my grandmother always had low cholesterol numbers, maybe it is genetic ? He is kicking it primal and healthy at 60 and she made it to 94. As long as I can hold off from dying of violence and suicide I think I will be ok :-)
    Currently 130 fat pounds down which is 120 pounds on the scale while putting on 10 pounds of muscle

Just FYI on the Cholesterol front:

I have researched this Total Cholesterol issue a bit after friendly advise above that mine was too low and found from Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution book (he seems like a pretty smart guy in his book and podcast):

Total Cholesterol

We are looking for numbers between 120–140mg/dl on cholesterol. This reflects our ancestral norms, the range we see in all primates, and, interestingly, all newborn babies.

Wolf, Robb (2011-03-27). The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (p. 226). Victory Belt Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast