Thread: Supplements page

ckck1234 is offline Senior Member

Supplements

Ok, so I am reading post after post about taking this, or taking that. I spent an hour reading about iodine for example but still don't know whether I should take it.

What should a newbie do? I know everyone is different, but what advice fits all (if that is possible)?

Thanks so much, you guys are great!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    If you are under 30, healthy, eating a good range of vegetables (at least 1/3 organic and/or local) and some organ meats, and spend time in the sun, my view is don't take any. Once you have seen what this way of eating does for you, if you have concerns you can tinker. I'm taking iodine and the necessary supplements because I have reason to think I'm slipping into low thyroid.

My current thinking is that the two most important things to supplement if you might not be getting them are vitamin D and magnesium.
    Last edited by Pamsc; 03-30-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo

I am 42 and male. My hemmoriods hurt, I have tightness in my neck and shoulders (stress I think). I have about 3 inches of belly fat to lose. Other than that, I am fine.

Any advice?

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Starting off, I would recommend you just focus on getting everything you need from food sources. If you are not feeling great after a couple of months with minimal "cheats", I would say you could start looking into supplements. Otherwise, it can be very confusing

The only one I recommend is if you know you have a vitamin D deficiency (can get determined through a blood test), you should supplement with that, but that is something you can ask your doctor about.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

ty!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D if you are not in the sun. Magnesium if eating less fiber is giving you any constipation at all--it also may help stress.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Some people like the Bulletproof Exec think if you don't supplement you're doing yourself a disservice:
    Why Getting Your Nutrition Only from Your Food is a Bad Idea | The Bulletproof Executive

CSilivestru is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Some people like the Bulletproof Exec think if you don't supplement you're doing yourself a disservice:
    Why Getting Your Nutrition Only from Your Food is a Bad Idea | The Bulletproof Executive
    I follow Bulletproofexec but I don't really agree with the majority of that post.
    I think you can spend money on supplements or you can spend money on quality food :-). I believe the only supplements really needed (unless for medical reasons) are vitamin D and omega 3. And even the omega 3 is more of an insurance policy depending on diet and location.

With that said, I agree with other posters, make sure you're in the flow with the primal lifestyle and then you can start tinkering. I've been primal for about 3 years now and I'm always self experimenting to see how stuff affects me -- part of the fun, I suppose!
    Living the primal lifestyle and loving it! On a constant quest of optimal health and living life to the fullest :-).

You can have excuses or results -- not both.

Thanks to all once again, you guys are very helpful and quick!

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think most people can get most of what they need from most of their food (assuming their choosing quality food). That being said, for specific goals or sport-specific needs, supplements can be useful..it depends mostly on your goals and why you would be taking a supplement to determine what you need, if anything.