Thread: Fitness and fat advise.... page

Lizard is offline Senior Member

Fitness and fat advise....

Primal Fuel
    Fitness
    One of my biggest concerns since I started Primal is the exercise limitation in the Fitness book. I'm a cardio - strength training addict and I'm used to 7 days a week of interval training + strenght training, or taebo + strenght training daily (cardio session aren't overrated only 20 min of high intensity) and I take about 3 day instead of interval & cardio workouts a walk/jogging/sprint session with our staffie and skip the strenght training over weekends (2 days).

I just feel better after doing cardio and I know that taebo is strenght training aswell. Any opinions if that is to much....

Fat
    Do I have to add fat (like olive oil or avo example) to every meal if I take Omega 3 & 6 & CLA supplement and eat alot of oily fish? How much is enough fat per day for weightloss??

Please give me some of your opinions regarding the fitness and fat topic....
    Nobody can imprison your power of imagination.

Restarted the journey:
    SW: 153lbs (Starting date - 05/08/2013)
    CW: 146lbs (13/08/2013)
    GW: 130lbs

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    You don't "have" to do anything. You can follow the PB as much or as little as you like. If you're looking to continue your life as usual, you'll continue getting the results you always have. There are always changes that people here are just not willing to make to their habits and lifestyles... I don't know how old you are, but how long do you expect to maintain the intensity of your physical routine? Are you a professional athlete who competes in strength/endurance competitions for a living? You may really enjoy being a cardio/strength training addict, but I'm sure you realize that you don't have to beat your body into the ground every day in order to live well. Yes, chances are you are doing way too much. That doesn't mean you're necessarily taking years off your life, but you are an adult who can make a decision between doing something he really enjoys, and making a change. If I told you to cut out the Chronic Cardio, would you do it? Probably not. You just don't have to. I wouldn't consider tae bo to be strength training.

I can't really answer your questions about fat because I don't know what you're going for. Are you overweight and looking to lose fat? What does your diet look like?

ckck1234 is offline Senior Member
    I would like to see some answers on this one.

Hi thx for the feedback. And yes you are right, I'm probably not going to do less exercise...if it work for me

I'm a 32 year/women. For about 3 year I was feeling and looking great (lots of muscle tone) - height 5.4 / weight 121 lbs. 7mnth ago everything changed with a underactive thyroid. Started gaining weight (cravings) & lost muscle tone. Currently my weight is 128 lbs and trying to get my weight back to about 123 lbs.

I started Primal 5 days ago, lost cm's in the 1st 2 days and since then I feel like I'm gaining and thought that I might be overdoing the fat in my diet cause I'm already eating a lot of fish and supplements. (cravings are gone & I feel very energized)

To give you a idea of what a day of Primal looked like this week;

B: X2 Eggs, spinash, pepper and onion omelet (butter) or Smoothie, yougart, Whey, Apple and walnuts

L: Grilled Salmon (or chicken) salad with avo & olive oil

D: Grilled chicken (olive oil) steamed veggies

Restarted the journey:

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Prefer fatty cuts of meat even more so cooked slow with the bone in. Its the perfect proportion of protein to fat mix all in that little package! You will get 60+% calories of fat with that. Fill in your energy and caloric needs from their with whatever you like. Really from there it all depends on your goals. Always eat real food (plants and animals). Use good fats to cook with, and so on and so forth.

THIS IS ME......I prefer fat as fuel and usually end up with macros around 20p/15c/65f as percent of daily calories. This works well for me. If I was banging away at the glycolytic pathway a bit more I might consider more carbohydrate fuel, but probably not much considering that you likely burn around 25-50g max in one of your workouts so it doesn't take all that much more to replenish.

I do HIT 2-3x a week with 1-2 being resistance exercise and the last being sprinting. Otherwise I am very active with two kids. I jump on our trampoline doing flips, random pull ups and push ups when I get the urge, walk to and from work for 2-3 miles/day, and maintain my 1 acre "lawn" garden and indoor honey do list....not to mention my moderately active job......thats just to give you an idea of my activity level vs. macro usage. I must say most of my meals and which foods I actually enjoy more lend themselves to this sort of lifestyle. I'm not a huge fan of the carb laden even primal foods. They displace the more tasty items IMO.....and that is the end of ABOUT ME.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    You will have to decide for yourself.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    If you're not overweight, then you shouldn't be focusing on lbs... You know that muscle tone is important to you. So maybe you should look at fat percentage rather than pounds on a scale. When you don't have a significant amount of weight to lose, you might as well throw the scale away... For instance, I am 5'7" and 140lbs... My body looks and feels better than it did at 130lbs. Just a thought. Are you on thyroid medication?

Your diet looks good but you could use more fat. Remember that the primal lifestyle does not advocate relying on lean meat. Also, you have been working at the primal lifestyle for five days, so now is the time to focus on how you're feeling, rather than specific measurements. The first couple of weeks can be very inconsistent as your body adjusts to a new lifestyle. You have energy and lack cravings - that's a great start.

I did go a bit nutty the 1st 3 days with nuts & cheese, and since yesterday started to cut that out. I also had my 1st 18h fasting and that went well and I felt great.

My previous diet I used to eat no other fat than chicken & fish (no olive oil, olives, avo or nuts....) for about 15 years or longer, and I think my body's in a bit of shock, but I'm sure it's much happier. I think I'm just not going to stress about it and go with the flow for a month or longer, just to see how my body adjust to all the Primal changes. (I've cut out wheat & SODA my favourite since I started, but I still enjoy my red wine

Yes I'm on Diotroxin for my Thyroid (T3) and blood test is normal now, but my testosterone level is very low for a women my age (tiredness & foggy head) and brain hormone.

Restarted the journey:

Thx Nicholaslewi - I'm love my variety of exercise and I guess it just takes time (I had a operation a month ago - dr's remove a huge cyst on ovaries that I didn't even know about, just went for general checkup) and that could've caused all the unbalanced hormones. My body is still in a bit of bomb shock but feeling much better :-)

Restarted the journey: