Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 60 minutes segment on Toxic Sugar - Sunday April 1st page

source99 is offline Junior Member

60 minutes segment on Toxic Sugar - Sunday April 1st

Shop Now
    Sugar - A prominent doctor who treats childhood obesity believes the high amount of sugar in the American diet, much of it in processed foods, is killing us. And as Dr. Sanjay Gupta reports, new studies seem to support his theory that sugar is toxic. Denise Schrier Cetta and Sumi Aggarwal are the producers.

Enjoy

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, for the heads up!
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

johneeeveee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by source99 View Post
    Sugar - A prominent doctor who treats childhood obesity believes the high amount of sugar in the American diet, much of it in processed foods, is killing us. And as Dr. Sanjay Gupta reports, new studies seem to support his theory that sugar is toxic. Denise Schrier Cetta and Sumi Aggarwal are the producers.

Enjoy
    I think soda may be the worst "food" ever created.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think soda may be the worst "food" ever created.
    I agree- I *hate* seeing kids drink Mountain Dew then parents wonder why they are out of control....

I don't think small amounts of sugar are bad, or even a coke on occasion, but it's the amounts of it- it seems to replace water for so many people.

johneeeveee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I agree- I *hate* seeing kids drink Mountain Dew then parents wonder why they are out of control....

I don't think small amounts of sugar are bad, or even a coke on occasion, but it's the amounts of it- it seems to replace water for so many people.
    True, I wasn't being judgemental, it's just when I see all these overweight kids with big gulps, it makes me a bit sad.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    It is totally about the massive amounts consumed. It is beyond ridiculous just how much the average person puts in their body in just one day. But yes, a little bit would have little effect on a healthy person with no metabolic issues. The problem though is that this stuff, especially HFCS, is addictive and a little becomes a little more and so on.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah- it's not just the soda- the sugar cereal and sugary yogurt that is "healthy", then the actual sugar snacks (gummies etc.), then juice.

And sugar really changes your palate. I used to add a lot of sugar to things and fruit got to where it wasn't sweet. Like this am I made a smoothie from 1 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries and unsweetened kefir and it tasted very sweet to me. A year ago I would have used sweetened kefir and probably a few spoons of sugar to get it sweet enough. It really kills your ability to enjoy naturally sweet foods.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    A couple years ago I was backpacking the Pacific Crest Trail. I had gone almost 300 miles when it started to hit me. I had lost most of my weight, I was starting to get the hiker hunger every body talks about, the hunger so great you start eating pizzas and whole pints of ice cream and stuff like that. Anyway, I'm approaching Big Bear and someone had left a recliner and a cooler full of soda out for the hikers. I had been feeling so weak. I barely made it up the 5000 feet of elevation gain the day before. I was just trudging along looking forward to a shower. I grabbed a Mountain Dew out of the cooler. Oh man! After that, I put in my first 26 mile day and made it all the way to the highway where I could get a ride into town. I had so much energy. That people can consume this stuff while they are just sitting there doing nothing, while they are children even, is crazy. (It took me a while to figure it out, but I eventually realizd that it was the caffeine that did that). I'm sorry I'm going to miss 60 minutes.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Sugar isn't toxic but it is not good for the sedentary in high volume. Sugar is important to athletes and shouldn't be viewed as something that is bad for you under the right circumstances. If you are sitting around playing video games and drinking soda though, that is a different story.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Sugar isn't toxic but it is not good for the sedentary in high volume. Sugar is important to athletes and shouldn't be viewed as something that is bad for you under the right circumstances. If you are sitting around playing video games and drinking soda though, that is a different story.
    That is such BS! Sugar is so toxic that if your body stops producing insulin or doesn't produce enough insulin, the sugar in your bloodstream will KILL you. Ask any diabetic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast