Thread: Tried and True Corned Beef Recipe page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

Tried and True Corned Beef Recipe

Shop Now
    So i have a ton of corned beef in the freezer that i'd like to use up. I sliced a little hunk off and cooked it; it's very salty. so i've read that i'm supposed to boil it a few times to reduce the salt. After that point, i have no clue what i'm going to do with it. Sooo...does anyone have a recipe that they've tried and loved to use up corned beef, that doesn't require a lot of ingredients?

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Is it raw or cooked? I start with a raw corned beef, cover it with cold water, bring it to a boil and simmer 5 minutes or so, then dump the water and cover it with fresh cold water. Bring it to a boil again and add several tablespoons of pickling spice (or crab boil). I put the spice in a large tea ball because we don't happen to like crunching whole spices--some people do. Keep at a gentle simmer for 4 or 5 hours, or until very tender. Remove the meat from the pot, add carrots and parsnips (and white potatoes if you eat them). Cook 10 minutes or so then add wedges of cabbage. Cook until the cabbage is done and serve with mustard or horseradish. Leftovers can be made into corned beef hash using the leftover carrots and parsnips instead of potatoes (or in addition to potatoes).
    Last edited by Pamsc; 03-29-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    sounds delicious! i'll give this a try, maybe in the crockpot? (after the boiling water steps of course) it's raw, so it should work out. thank you!

Meatgrrrl is offline Senior Member
    Corned Beef Recipe - Taste.com.au
    This is mine. Take out anything you don't eat.

I also add a quarter cup of malt vinegar.