Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Increased my carbs with less than great results page

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member

Increased my carbs with less than great results

So I've been VLC for a while, but decided after reading various forum threads to try upping it a bit. I added some white rice (single serve) the last two days at lunch. Unfortunately, my previously newly clear skin broke out day by two, and my cravings started - all of a sudden dinner wasn't doing it and I kept wanting to go back to the cupboard. Luckily my 'binge' consisted of three brazil nuts, and two fried eggs on a piece of roast pumpkin. The food itself is not worrying me - much healthier than what I used to stuff down my throat. But the binge-feelings returning concern me.

So I'm going to stick to getting my carbs from veggies and a few extra starchy vegies, and leave the rice for a few months.

Has anyone else successfuly increased their carbs?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    maybe start off with something that's a little more nutrient dense and slower absorbing than white rice. to be honest, white rice is still my last carb of choice. sweet potatoes are great. another good way to introduce carbs back is bananas.

another important thing about adding back carbs, is that you can't prepare your same exact keto meal and just add in a cup of rice, or a baked potato. that's just eating more food. that doesn't work.

if you're doing find on VLC, i don't think you have to introduce carbs into your diet. i find that most people will eventually not do so well on VLC, and will want to change the situation, and at that point, it may be easier.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Many people have, and many people haven't, it's a mixed bag. You just have to find what works for you and stick with it, without being afraid to dip your toe into the other end of the pool every once in a while to see how you like it.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Did you have the rice, by itself? If so, I'd suggest you combine it. Also, I've prepared the rice, the way I always thought I should, growing up: rinse it out, until you see the rice under the water, clearly. As far as this method is concerned, I haven't checked with my mom as the "proper" way of rice prep, but I always thought this was it. YMMV. I think what allowed me to get back into white rice was, eating warak enab (Lebanese stuffed grape lives, sans meat). Apparently, the Lebanese make this distinguishable from dolmos, or dolmath (stuffed graped leaves w/ meat).

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    maybe start off with something that's a little more nutrient dense and slower absorbing than white rice. to be honest, white rice is still my last carb of choice. sweet potatoes are great. another good way to introduce carbs back is bananas.

another important thing about adding back carbs, is that you can't prepare your same exact keto meal and just add in a cup of rice, or a baked potato. that's just eating more food. that doesn't work.

if you're doing find on VLC, i don't think you have to introduce carbs into your diet. i find that most people will eventually not do so well on VLC, and will want to change the situation, and at that point, it may be easier.

Hmm. Well I wanted to try increasing them because I'm not doing well on VLC - no energy and no weight loss. I kept my calories roughly the same, for the day, maybe a *little* bit higher, but then, they were quite low anyway so I had room to move.
    Might be better off sticking with a bit of fruit for now.

Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Did you have the rice, by itself? If so, I'd suggest you combine it. Also, I've prepared the rice, the way I always thought I should, growing up: rinse it out, until you see the rice under the water, clearly. As far as this method is concerned, I haven't checked with my mom as the "proper" way of rice prep, but I always thought this was it. YMMV. I think what allowed me to get back into white rice was, eating warak enab (Lebanese stuffed grape lives, sans meat). Apparently, the Lebanese make this distinguishable from dolmos, or dolmath (stuffed graped leaves w/ meat).

No, I mixed had it with roast pumpkin, eggplant and some tuna, and a bit of pesto. Basically my normal salad, with rice instead of heaps of lettuce and mushrooms.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Hmm.. how about prep-wise? How did you prep the rice, before putting it in the pan, or rice cooker (I'm still proud of purchasing it )?

gempdx44 is offline Member
    Has anyone else successfuly increased their carbs?
    Yes. I went from eating approx 50g carbs per day (or less) to an average of 100-150g per day (from fruit, white rice, and potatoes) and feel WAY better. More energy, more satisfied after a meal, and the fat is still coming off so it's definitely working for me.

What kinds of exercise do you do?

Prep wise - just did it on the stove top in the usual way.

Exercise wise - I have a PT weight session once per week, and try and do my own shorter weights session 1x per week. Then usually 1 jog per week (about 30mins, thinking about pushing out to 40min soon), one ride per week (~50mins) and one boxing bag session per week (~30mins), plus incidental walking whenever I can. I'd love to fit in more but I am a full time PhD student + work one day a week on top of all the study, so free time isn't abundant...

gempdx44 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    Exercise wise - I have a PT weight session once per week, and try and do my own shorter weights session 1x per week. Then usually 1 jog per week (about 30mins, thinking about pushing out to 40min soon), one ride per week (~50mins) and one boxing bag session per week (~30mins), plus incidental walking whenever I can. I'd love to fit in more but I am a full time PhD student + work one day a week on top of all the study, so free time isn't abundant...
    IMHO, sounds like you're getting plenty as it is. I just got back from my PT weight session (I also see him once a week) and
    we both agreed that my 6X a week exercising was too much. He's got me backing off to 2 weight sessions and 1 ballet class, and then just fit in interval cardio when I can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast