Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: A bit of a reality check from Russ Crandall page

  1. #1
    @lex's Avatar
    @lex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    712

    A bit of a reality check from Russ Crandall

    Russ wrote a guest post over at Richard Nikoley's FTA blog, and the article makes some great points about the actions and behavior of some in the "paleosphere".

    Guest Post: The Difference Between Eating Paleo and
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

    In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.


    I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

    SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

    Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

  2. #2
    lssanjose's Avatar
    lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,488
    I liked the post's approach: very level-headed; and worked both sides of the argument. I don't mind aligning myself with the Paleo/Primal community, but the idea of attaching the label being a danger is true. By putting a label, one's setting up for a sense of expectation; something to live up to. In the end, this labeling could be detrimental; and against one of the precepts of Paleo/Primal living: don't overstress over the wrong details.

  3. #3
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,086
    Its kind of a Dale Carnegie....How to Make Friends and Influence People from your Paleosphere, isn't it? Meh, I like to ruffle some feathers. You attract no one if you have no "charge", just like a magnet. This tippsy toeing BS just pisses me off.

    Oh, I don't necessarily disagree. I normally don't use the term "Paleo". I like human diet/or even just explaining it as a traditional diet. Just offering another point of view.

  4. #4
    @lex's Avatar
    @lex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    I liked the post's approach: very level-headed; and worked both sides of the argument. I don't mind aligning myself with the Paleo/Primal community, but the idea of attaching the label being a danger is true. By putting a label, one's setting up for a sense of expectation; something to live up to. In the end, this labeling could be detrimental; and against one of the precepts of Paleo/Primal living: don't overstress over the wrong details.
    Which is why I don't use the words paleo or primal when I talk to people outside of the community. I simply say I eat real and natural foods and keep processed junk and toxins to a minimum. It's pretty hard to question that statement, but if I were to say I eat paleo people would be like "LOL what are you a caveman?", which opens up a whole new issue in the conversation and makes getting to the actual point of it all more difficult.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

    In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.


    I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

    SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

    Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

  5. #5
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,086
    And there are gonna be fringes in every community. They actually help progress the whole in their own way. Don't get so up tight about how paleo is perceived.

  6. #6
    lssanjose's Avatar
    lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    And there are gonna be fringes in every community. They actually help progress the whole in their own way. Don't get so up tight about how paleo is perceived.
    I've seen that in various Martial Arts communities... kind of sad, in a way.

  7. #7
    @lex's Avatar
    @lex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    712
    Having "charge" is different from being fringe and alienating people who might be potentially interested with outlandish beliefs and claims. A bit of tact and civility can go a long way in helping to get your message out there.

    Mark attracts a lot of people because he uses scientific and rational examples coupled with an open mind and an engaging writing style. He generally isn't aggressive, disrespectful, and so on with his posts, and it clearly works. Do you think he'd be as successful in getting his message out there if he decided to be dogmatic, aggressive, rude, and dismissive to people in his posts? The idea of "ruffling feathers" works to a point, but there comes a time when you're just being a douche and annoying people, which doesn't help anyone at the end of the day.

    The fact of the matter is that the fringe elements are usually the parts of a community that get the most attention. Nobody on these boards trashes the open minded vegan that just goes through life doing what he feels is good for him, but even I'm guilty of taking some shots at that banana cult that DR runs. The same applies to paleo and primal. I guess, in my opinion, there needs to be a balance. Enough bells and whistles to attract attention, but not so much that it's all people end up focusing on.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

    In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.


    I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

    SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

    Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

  8. #8
    lssanjose's Avatar
    lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    Having "charge" is different from being fringe and alienating people who might be potentially interested with outlandish beliefs and claims. A bit of tact and civility can go a long way in helping to get your message out there.

    Mark attracts a lot of people because he uses scientific and rational examples coupled with an open mind and an engaging writing style. He generally isn't aggressive, disrespectful, and so on with his posts, and it clearly works. Do you think he'd be as successful in getting his message out there if he decided to be dogmatic, aggressive, rude, and dismissive to people in his posts? The idea of "ruffling feathers" works to a point, but there comes a time when you're just being a douche and annoying people, which doesn't help anyone at the end of the day.

    The fact of the matter is that the fringe elements are usually the parts of a community that get the most attention. Nobody on these boards trashes the open minded vegan that just goes through life doing what he feels is good for him, but even I'm guilty of taking some shots at that banana cult that DR runs. The same applies to paleo and primal. I guess, in my opinion, there needs to be a balance. Enough bells and whistles to attract attention, but not so much that it's all people end up focusing on.
    The one thing I noticed about Loren Cordain; and, how contrasts from Mark/Robb, is he's a little more of a hard liner, on certain issues (dairy, potatoes, anti-nutrients, cheating (85/15 vs 80/20). I'm not saying he's worse, or better than those two. But, he's certainly different; and stricter.

  9. #9
    Maestar's Avatar
    Maestar is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    southeastern USA
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    Which is why I don't use the words paleo or primal when I talk to people outside of the community. I simply say I eat real and natural foods and keep processed junk and toxins to a minimum. It's pretty hard to question that statement, but if I were to say I eat paleo people would be like "LOL what are you a caveman?", which opens up a whole new issue in the conversation and makes getting to the actual point of it all more difficult.
    This is the path I've taken when I talk about eating choices. Real and natural foods with minimal processed stuff seems to get the idea and my approach across effectively. If whomever I'm talking with asks for details, then maybe the paleo label might come up. This works for me.

    And now I'm off to actually read the article.

  10. #10
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,086
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I guess I've seen enough "we need to act xyz" posts lately to rub me a bit the wrong way. Actually I'm not disagreeing with him as much as I am disagreeing with the thought that we have to start marshaling this stuff. Individuals will express themselves as they will. I think "paleo" is strong enough to handle it. I could be wrong and we should tie up and flog the outspoken among us, but I don't think so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •