Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I started the Ice Cream experiment last night!

Conan Guest

Shop Now

OK, so after reading about all of the success stories with eating ice cream before bed, I decided to start the experiment last night. For those that missed the original post, see the thread below for the ice cream success stories. I read that entire thread and the positives outweigh the negatives by about ten to one.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...hlight=breyers

I went to Whole Foods last night and found an organic ice cream that is made with coconut milk. The only sweeteners are agave syrup and beet sugar (no HFCS). The ice cream has 13g of fat and 12g of sugar per serving so it is an even better ratio than the Breyers (8g of fat, 17g of sugar) and everyone seemed to have success w/ Breyer's.

So this is how I'm going to carry out the experiment:

1. Only primal foods throughout the day (whey protein and whole milk will be occassional exceptions).

2. WITH the ice cream, I'm going to keep my carbs as close to 150g / day as possible. I'm eating 2 servings / night which is 42g of carbs, so that leaves me 110g of carb for the rest of the day which will require some dietary changes but is doable.

3. I will monitor calories using FitDay. Yesterday I had 3,500 calories with the ice cream. I'm not a big believer in calories but I'm thinking that's a little much for me so I'm going to shoot for closer to 3,000/day.

4. I will only eat the ice cream before bed, and will only eat 2 servings at a time.

5. I'm sticking to organic ice cream made from coconut milk only.

So far, I have to say that the ice cream made with coconut milk was out of this world delicious!!!!! And yes it's only been one day but I slept like a baby last night and I didn't wake up bloated or sluggish. In fact, I woke up and 45 minutes later I was at my CrossFit gym doing an absolutely intense killer workout. It may just be my mind playing tricks on me but I felt a little leaner this morning.

I'll keep you guys updated on my progress. I really, really, really hope this works because that ice cream last night was delicious!!!! If it doesn't work, I may cut back to one serving. It's that friggin' awesome.

How exciting! Can't wait to read about your experience with it... the ice cream sounds amazingly delicious too.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Bruno Guest

Funny enough, I made ice cream last night.

I googled homemade ice cream and followed a recipe.

1 and 1/2 cups of cream, 2 egg yolks, 1 teasspoon of vanilla extract and two packets of equal-froze it for a couple of hours and separately froze some blueberries in a cup.

I took both frozen parts out of the freezer and then placed them in a bowl. It was really good. My non-primal wife liked it alot even though she's a fan of chocolate. Next I'll try it with cacao and maybe a different sweetener (bananas, honey or something else)

Get the chocolate peanut butter coconut milk ice cream-- OMG it's out of this world.

Round Rock, TX Nice place, too bad it's in Texas!

Coconut milk ice cream! Wow! Then there's that agave sweetener. All fructose, you know. And beet sugar is bullpoop PR for sucrose....which is half fructose.

While of the opinion that a bit of fructose that comes from fruit or honey is no big deal, you might be consuming enough to do damage. Fat on the liver, you know.

Regardless, sounds interesting as can be. I look forward to your updates.

Conan Guest

Yeah, I got the chocolate peanut butter made by purely decadent and it was amazing!!!!!!

OTB, I have no false notions that the sugar in this ice cream is in any way healthy. However, I do know that ice cream has a relatively low GI. Even ice cream that has less fat and more sugar than the ice cream I am eating. It's just an experiment and the only reason I'm trying it is that I'm not really that concerned with weight loss anymore. If it doesn't work or causes me any problem, I can quit it as easily as I started it.

What the?!?!?! I just read that thread - that's crazy. But... I guess it makes sense from what I understand of the Zone diet - being very low calorie. Perhaps it really is just the increase in calories (and fat) they needed to ramp up their metabolisms.

I sometimes feel that I'm not getting enough calories to really be putting on more muscle like I'd like to, but I also want to loose a few more % of BF.

I think I might try the coconut ice cream version of this myself...

Conan Guest

I think it's hard to add muscle and lose fat simultaneously so you really need to prioritize. If you are trying to lose weight/fat, I wouldn't try this. If adding lean muscle is more important then give it a go. For me, I'm more interested in gaining muscle than losing fat and that's the only reason I'm trying it.

Having said that, I do think the coconut milk ice cream could be enjoyed as an occassional treat (once / twice per week) even for those trying to lose weight. One serving is only 20g of carbs.

I've never been good at prioritizing - I always want to do everything at once!

From that thread, it seems the people eating the ice cream were going from 11%, 12%, etc. down to the 8%-10% range. I'm probably around 11%-13% myself. It's just the last bit of fat covering my lower abs and waist that I want to ditch.

But yeah, I probably need to focus on just staying 100% primal w/ 50-100g carbs a day for at least a few weeks so I have a baseline for comparison if I add in the coconut ice cream.

Shop Now

I'm kinda curious about this ice cream thing, and if it matters what the fat/carb ratios are. I have a couple recipes for ice cream, one using heavy cream and stevia, and the other using avocado and stevia. Both would be quite high in fat and low in carbs.