Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good carbs/starches really DO work in weight loss. page

ninjas.rawk is offline Member

Smile Good carbs/starches really DO work in weight loss.

Primal Fuel
    So last week I wanted to test my body and test what a lot of people on here were arguing about with carbs and such. I fast between 9pm-1pm and eat between the 8 hour window, and have only been doing slow walks every couple days for 30-60 mins.

So, this last week I added in a large baked sweet potato with my dinner (normally I wouldn't have starches, just low carb veggies) and every morning I stepped on the scale I either stayed the same weight or lost weight, never gained. So yay, I CAN eat my favorite thing, sweet potatoes!

On another note, this last Sunday I was out shopping and it lasted longer than I planned and I got hungry and since I bought my kids Subway, I gave in and instead of just having it as a salad I ate it on the bread. BAD mistake for me... I felt bloated the next day, I had a breakout on my face, and just couldn't sleep at all that night. Obviously I have a long ways to go to be able to cheat and not feel it backlash like that.

Anyways.... yay carbs. (The good ones!)
    Somewhere under all this fat is a strong, healthy, beautiful and sexy woman. The search for her begins now.

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    I second everything you just said. I started eating sweet potatoes or rice at about 2 meals per day, even with copious butter and lard. I haven't gained any weight or had any other problems. I have, however, opened up so many more culinary doors for myself. Here's an idea I tried last night: boiled mashed sweet potato, raw honey produced a mile from here, and cinnamon, let it cool in the fridge. The result was equally as rich and delicious as ice cream or cookie dough.

I also managed to eat a bunch bread a few days ago left over from a meeting at my house. My stomach was bloated to a HUGE (4 months pregnant?) size, the gas was unbearable, 5 zits, and I started getting my roommates sore throat. Of course I didn't get it anything like she did, because I got back on the wagon and fought it off with delicious food and healthy living. I'm glad it happened, though, because it reminds me that I used to feel like this every day and wanting to live this lifestyle is pretty self-regulating when you have biological feedback that is so in-tuned.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I cycled carbs all winter long, sure. I noticed a definite difference in not needing carbs as soon as the weather cooled down. So I have been eating some carbs on the weekends and almost none during the week. I have gone 4 days without carbs this week so far & feel fine- I likely won't eat any till tomorrow night or Saturday. Just my way of doing Primal though I plan to add a lot of carbs back in as soon as it gets hot out cycled the Fast 5 way.

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah carbs from natural sources (combined with foods from natural sources) are the winning combination in the PF context.
    "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

jakey is offline Senior Member
    carbs are not the enemy! they fill you up! you'll naturally cut back on the fat and protein cause you're full.

eat them in cold weather, eat them in hot weather, it's all good. cycle them, do whatever you want. just don't pretend that they're the enemy.

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    Step Brothers Derek Gets Punched Out Of The Tree House - YouTube

FW to 0:30

jk,, i love sweet potatoes, rice with my sushi and even other not so paleo whole food starches

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Yay! I'm loving my carbier breakfasts starting as of yesterday. They were fewer calories than my usual omelette and they haven't made me want to eat any more later in the day. I should've upped carbs sooner.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 03-29-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: grammar
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

brecker is offline Junior Member
    Yes - everyone really needs to understand there are good and bad carbs just like fat. The funny thing is when people start eating Paleo/Primal they actually eat way more protein and less calories.... (because of the protein) I'll let that sink in for a bit.

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    I have been really into carbs lately too! I hardly ate any all winter (around 50g coming from vegetables per day). We went on vacation to Hawaii last month & I ate a lot of fruit there (like a whole papaya each day!) + greek yogurt + some rice a few times. Now I've been eating quite a bit of carbs with no negative side effects. They taste amazing! Even an apple is just so delicious... strange b/c I didn't miss eating fruit at all this winter. Sweet potatoes, mangoes, pears - I'm obsessed! And, I too, have suprisingly not gained any weight - even with a slight decrease in activity. And I haven't noticed any blood sugar issues (being hungry two hours after eating a meal - like I was before primal).

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brecker View Post
    Yes - everyone really needs to understand there are good and bad carbs just like fat. The funny thing is when people start eating Paleo/Primal they actually eat way more protein and less calories.... (because of the protein) I'll let that sink in for a bit.
    I agree that increased protein is an under-acknowledged factor in success stories.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 03-29-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added quote
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast