Thread: Top Sirloin Roast - What Do I Do With You?!? page

KimInGA is offline Senior Member

Top Sirloin Roast - What Do I Do With You?!?

Shop Now
    I buy grassfed meat through a local co-op that works with multiple farms to provide a nice variety of veggies, dairy, pork, chicken and beef. I ordered a 2-3 lb chuck roast, intending to make pulled beef. When I arrived to pick up my order though, they apologized profusely that they did not in fact have a chuck roast available - - and offered me a 5.5 lb top sirloin roast instead. Never one to turn down delicious grassfed beef, I said sure.

Now I have this giant chunk of cow defrosting in my fridge, and I am wondering what to do with it! I read somewhere that it's the same piece of meat that a lot of chain restaurants cut their house steaks from. Is that true? Does top sirloin roast = top sirloin steak? Would it be best to leave it whole and cook it like a prime rib in my oven, putting a new crust of herbs on the outside and aiming for medium-rare?

My in-laws are coming for the weekend and I don't wanna screw it up. They're iffy about the whole paleo thing and eating lots of red meat. I want to make sure the meals are awesome so they can be amazed that you can eat this well and still lose weight ... I know they won't miss noticing that their son (my hubby) is down from a 38" waist to a 35"!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Let them see that your 'weird' diet is actually normal and tasty. This recipe should do it! I would sub bacon fat or dijon mustard for the olive oil.

Leaving it as a whole means you can slice it thin and everyone can have as much or as little as they like. It also means some parts are more rare than others, satisfying every preference. (my MIL likes to cook the crap out of every roast. We cheer when its accidentally a tiny bit pink in the middle). But yes, you can cut it into steaks instead.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    seems to me i made some KILLER roast beef using the "simplest roast beef ever" or whatever it was called recipe

basically olive oil, salt, pepper ... turn over to full blast, put it in for if i remember right 7-8 minutes per pound then turn the oven off and dont open it for 3 hours or so ...
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

patski is offline Senior Member
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    just don't overcook it; this isn't the type that you cook the hell out to make it tender. it should already be tender. i like to marinade that cut in rosemary, salt, and garlic (a little red wine and/or beef broth and olive oil) for maybe 2-3 days, then roast it until it's medium rare. maybe 350F for 1-1 1/2 hours. using a meat thermometer might help. make sure to let it sit out for a good 20 minutes after you remove it from the oven. leftovers can be thinly sliced for lunches or whatever.

BroderickMi is offline Junior Member
    Let them see that your 'weird' diet is actually normal and tasty

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Awesome, thanks everyone!! I'll get it marinating tonight and then add some delicious rub - - and be sure to not cook it past medium-rare.