Thread: Food comparison page

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member

Food comparison

I picked up a package of kobe beef burgers from trader joes. Btw, these things taste amazing.

I know we are not supposed to be afraid of fat but the label took me back a little bit.

1 patty has 56g of fat, (sat. 21g and Trans 3.5g). I'm assuming that trans in this case are naturally occurring because the ingredients are just beef.
    Also, 1 patty has 35g of protein.

Then I found a can of wild salmon in my pantry and looked at the label:
    1 can has 3g of fat and 39g of protein.

Am I better off eating that patty or lets say a can of salmon + avocado on a side? I know fat is our friend, but that 1 patty seems to have an awful lot of it.

How much fat do you guys consume per day?

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    First, an observation on Kobe beef. The reason it tastes so amazingly good is strictly because of the fat content. That's it. To buy Kobe and then worry about the fat is a little like buying fat free heavy cream, an oxymoron if ever there was one. Should you need to dispose of the patties, feel free to send them my way

As for fat content of my diet, I am currently experimenting with ketosis, which has me downing about 200g of fat daily. If calorie counts are to be believed, and assuming my scale is accurate, yesterday I had about 208 grams of stuff, comprising 70% of that day's caloric intake.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Even your totally clueless CW doctor has heard that eating saturated fat hasn't been proven to cause cardiovascular disease.

Here are a couple of interesting articles I found on google:

Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease
    Saturated fat, carbohydrate, and cardiovascul... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    First, an observation on Kobe beef. The reason it tastes so amazingly good is strictly because of the fat content. That's it. To buy Kobe and then worry about the fat is a little like buying fat free heavy cream, an oxymoron if ever there was one. Should you need to dispose of the patties, feel free to send them my way

As for fat content of my diet, I am currently experimenting with ketosis, which has me downing about 200g of fat daily. If calorie counts are to be believed, and assuming my scale is accurate, yesterday I had about 208 grams of stuff, comprising 70% of that day's caloric intake.

-PK
    How are you feeling, after downing that much fat?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    fatty meat isn't a problem. don't worry about that. this is more of a question of appetite, i think. the beef patty will be more filling, it's way more calorically dense. both are real, whole foods and both are healthy. how hungry are you?

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    How are you feeling, after downing that much fat?
    Nothing to see here ... move along ... feeling fine, no health problems to report, no miraculous weightloss. In moderate ketosis throughout, fasting for 48 hours once per week. All in all, rather uneventful, I would say. I will point out that I do get a fairly large proportion of my macronutrients from dairy products which might sound heretical to the paleo orthodoxy.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.