Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body By Science page

Prowler Guest

Primal Fuel

Has anyone read this book? Dr. Kurt Harris wrote about it recently and seems to endorse it, and I've heard it mentioned here, too.

Is there really some worthwhile info in this book? Let's hear some primal reviews.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

I haven't read it. I know the exercise is based on the research that muscles take 4-7 days to fully recover from eccentric loading.

I couldn't do it though. Working out means so much more to me then just the workout. It literally makes me who I am every single day. I absolutely despise off days, but I overemphasize recovery/prevention training because of its' importance.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

I just got the book a couple of weeks ago, and am doing that workout now. For me, I want to get the best workout for me in the least amount of time. I work full time, have two kids, go to school (dance classes) three nights a week and have a husband that's deployed. And a puppy. I don't have time to do a lot of strength training (beyond the bodyweight exercise I get in the gym) I just don't.

My prime workout is dance classes, I do sprints on Tuesdays (tabatas on the bike), and I do Body By Science once a week on the weekend. I love it. It amazes me how much I can work out my body in 15 minutes. It might not be for everyone, but for me I feel like I'm getting some good results from working out without spending a lot of time in the gym.

Just my 2 cents.

M

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I've been advised against it because larger, faster, more compound moves are better... (Think Crossfit), but I was really intriguied by the concept..There's been some other threads on this if you look around...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ody-by-Science

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...nyone-doing-it

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I can see it working for some people.

I'm with A.S. in the sense that I love working out... more for stress relief and feeling good than for just muscle gains.

Let there be no mistake... the 15 min a week is going to be a brutal 15 min if you're doing it right.

elbohead Guest

I bought BBS and "Slowburn" together because I wanted to compare the two. I have finished reading SB and have tried the workout a couple of times. So far so good. I'll start reading Body by Science this week and see what the differences are.

Tarlach is offline Member

I started reading BBS, but never finished it. It says you should do:

no more than one workout a week

one set

low number of slow reps (for about 45s)

machines are better than free weights

I agree with some of it, but other parts don't sound right at all.

<a href="http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2009/12/08/secret-build-big-muscles-hardgainer/">This article made a lot more sense to me.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Tarlach is offline Member

I started reading BBS, but never finished it. It says you should do:

no more than one workout a week

one set

low number of slow reps (for about 45s)

machines are better than free weights

Some of it sounds ok, but other parts don&#39;t sound right at all.

John Little (co-author BBS) went on to write about static contractions. I wouldn&#39;t take his advice on anything to do with strength training. The stuff about static contractions is just rubbish.

This article made a lot more sense to me.

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2009...es-hardgainer/

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Vick is offline Senior Member

I consider it a great book. I find if I miss a week I have even better strength gains when I return.

I disagree with Tarlach about John Little. The man has written books for 30 years regarding strength training. He is one of only a few trainers that actually puts his clients in a bodpod to monitor their results. Both McGufff and Little come out of the mentorship of Mike Mentzer.

Static contractions do one thing. They stress the muscle to promote growth. You still have to "train" your muscle by using it.

Nekurahn is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

As I&#39;ve said before in other threads, I&#39;ve been using the templates from BBS for a few months with good results as far as strength goes.

Don&#39;t expect size from this program. You will be disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast