Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: organ meats page

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member

organ meats

Primal Fuel
    Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I don't think I'm seeing enough love for organ meats on these boards!
    They're extremely nutritious, certainly help out a bit with the "expensive paleo" issue... what's not to love? Oh yeah, they take some getting used to, but their benefits are plentiful.

So far I've had, from various animals,
    liver, heart, tongue, marrow, kidney, testicle, spleen, pancreas, thymus gland and thyroid gland. Maybe one or two more I'm forgetting.

Ok, ok, tongue and marrow aren't organs, but you know what I mean!
    My favorites are heart, tongue, marrow, and kidney.

Umm, oh yeah, I eat them raw. How's that for primal?
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Another offal fan here!

I eat liver, hearts and gizzards (preferably duck!, but also chicken), and beef heart pretty much weekly.
    And marrow too, which is like freaking dessert...
    Spleen, sweet breads (thymus), pork tongue, and testicles are eaten now and then as well. Once a month or so
    I need more spleen, it's very tasty.

Beef heart is more commonly referred to as "breakfast steak" around our house as it's great seared and served with some medium-easy eggs.

I'm also a feet fan... feet belong in bone broth. So much good collagen and flavor.

This past week I also purchased trimmed pork skin for making my own pork rinds.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Making Filipino Sautéed Beef Liver tomorrow and enjoyed Peruvian Anticuchos over the weekend. Dry fried chicken livers last week. Over the weekend I'll be making Sisig with beef liver and pig ears.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    I like liver. I prefer chicken liver over beef liver because it's less gristly, although I eat beef liver too. Haven't tried other organs yet. Which other organs are good to try? I mean, some will say all of them, but I mean ones that are easy to transition to. Not too dissimilar from meat, not too shocking.

I just bought some organic beef heart, I've eaten lots of moose heart. Stuffed moose heart is good, or sliced thin and fried with onions. Never tried marrow, but I think it's time. How do you eat the marrow? I hear you shouldn't eat liver unless you know the source is pasture fed/organic meat. Liver of poorly raised commercial animals probably has some bad stuff in it. I'm learning to enjoy oxtails, I know, not organ meat. But full of collagen. Oxtail broth to break my fast today, I'm trying to intoduce as much collagen into my arthritic body as possible.

And why are you eating organs raw?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    If you can ever get your hands on some domestic rabbit liver... *swoon* ... one of my favorite foods on the planet!

Beef heart, once trimmed up, is just like super beefy very lean steak. NOM! I like it seared and rare!
    Tongue can be intimidating to prepare with all the peeling of tongue skin... but the meat inside is GREAT slow cooked. Lots of rich connective tissue/collagen in it to give it that richness.
    I think that spleen(I get pork), prepared well, is better than beef or pork liver any day.

And marrow... MARROW is like beef candy!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I make up batches of curried offal, often with meat on the bone as well, for my breakfast. Current batch is beef tripe with lamb chops. Before that was chicken liver and hearts. Love me lamb brains - got to be next on the menu
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by windypasswheeler View Post
    I just bought some organic beef heart, I've eaten lots of moose heart. Stuffed moose heart is good, or sliced thin and fried with onions. Never tried marrow, but I think it's time. How do you eat the marrow? I hear you shouldn't eat liver unless you know the source is pasture fed/organic meat. Liver of poorly raised commercial animals probably has some bad stuff in it. I'm learning to enjoy oxtails, I know, not organ meat. But full of collagen. Oxtail broth to break my fast today, I'm trying to intoduce as much collagen into my arthritic body as possible.

And why are you eating organs raw?
    I hear you on the pastured liver. I get 100% grass-fed so I'm not worried.
    Raw because I follow, more or less, the raw paleo diet. You can look it up if you're interested... or disgusted! :-P

Sunnivara, like cori said, heart is a great "transitioning" organ meat... a lot like muscle, because, well, the heart is a muscle!

And peril, how I wish to try brain! I've never seen any grass-fed brain available anywhere. Or grain-fed for that matter.

Glad to see you guys chiming in!
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

primal-dan is offline Member
    I started eating a small (50g) piece of grass fed beef liver every morning with breakfast. I make a 1lb batch then slowly work my way through it. I view it as my multivitamin.

How do you all prepare your liver? I have yet to find a recipe that doesn't include onions. I marinate mine in onions and wine for a few hours then pan fry in lard.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    If you can ever get your hands on some domestic rabbit liver... *swoon* ... one of my favorite foods on the planet!

Beef heart, once trimmed up, is just like super beefy very lean steak. NOM! I like it seared and rare!
    Tongue can be intimidating to prepare with all the peeling of tongue skin... but the meat inside is GREAT slow cooked. Lots of rich connective tissue/collagen in it to give it that richness.
    I think that spleen(I get pork), prepared well, is better than beef or pork liver any day.

And marrow... MARROW is like beef candy!
    oh my gosh rabbit innards are so incredible. You are right on with this. I've never tasted anything with such a great complex flavor as rabbit liver. And I consider myself to be an organ meat lover too!

I really like THYMUS. veal thymus can't be beat by much.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast