Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P90x extreme, is it for me? page

verdilak is offline Member

Primal Fuel

So... I'm still pretty heavy, but i have lost enough weight where my heart doesnt try to beat through my chest when walking, and I'm not nearly so out of breath, but I want to really get this fat off of me and look good. I can work out at my work, while on the job (I work nights) but I cannot shower afterwards nor eat anything other than leftovers, and I'm working out with work clothes on and I sweat and smell. Also, I plan on changing jobs soon so I cannot rely on it.

I've been swinging around a sledgehammer, but after multitude infomercials of the p90x, and seeing most of the before/after's of people just 20 lbs or so overweight, I wonder if it's still doable with me being 100lbs overweight, at least.

I have heard that it is rather extreme, but that is kinda what I want. I mean, I cannot do pushups, situps, and pullups, but thats the thing, I used to and I want to again.

So, is it alright for me, especially if I modify the exercised until I am able to do them, or am I just cruisin' for a self-inflicted bruisin'?

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

JosephS is offline Junior Member

verdilak,

My wife and I are on our second round of P90X and have reaped nothing but benefits from it. I love it! I am stronger and faster than I have ever been.

So far, we have had no problems eating primal and doing the program. The biggest lesson I have learned from round to round is my body needs protien supplementation. I simply cannot get enough protien for my body from meat, I would be eating away my budget. I have a shake with breakfast and a shake directly follwing the workouts.

P90X as you may know is designed for people who are already pretty fit. However, one can succeed with it as long as you take it slow. When we started our first round I was coming off of nearly 1.5 years of injury. I had a high ankle sprain that lasted for 2 months and a back issue that lasted for the rest. Needless to say, my body had a hard time with the program until about halfway through. I have a few friends who are hauling around similiar weight to yours, and they are having success with the program.

The great thing about the P90x program, is that you are encouraged to do what you can, not try to keep up with the guys in the videos. Take it easy and take breaks, they are encouraged in the program. The leg exercises and plyometrics can be hard on the knees. I reccomend taking it easy on these till you know your limits.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. You will sweat like crazy!

You can start out with smaller free weights, and bands for pull ups. There is a way to do "pullups" with the bands hung from the ceiling, they will demonstrate it on the video's. Really you can used bands for pretty much everything.

I am in the best shape of my life due to my efforts in P90X. It has literally tranformed my life.

Just remember to take it easy, and don't be upset if you are making slow progress. You will get there. All you have to do, is push play everyday, and do what you can.

Also, invest in epsom salts for soaking in the tub, and Arnica cream from a health store. You will be sore.

Thanks man, that really helped me in my decision.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986

stevew2023 is offline Junior Member

Nice job Joseph. I couldn't have said it better myself... even as a Beachbody Coach :^)

stryker902 is offline Junior Member

There is also Power90 that is the starting place for those who are not up to the P90x levels yet. It is a good place to start.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/power90.do?code=BBHOME_CONTROL_p90

Brian

jennf is offline Senior Member

I would second stryker902 - Power90 is a great program and not as intimidating as P90X. I've done both (although I didn't get to finish P90X due to a rotator cuff injury). I'm doing Power90 again right now and enjoying it just as much the second time around, and am getting great results once again!

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

You could do P90X if you wanted but take it easy and press pause alot. You will not be able to complete the work-outs right out of the gate so maybe do 30 minutes instead of the full time and pace yourself.

Power90 would be a good starting point and work yourself up to the X.

Do your best and forget the rest!

PookDo is offline Senior Member

I'm a big guy.just under 6 feet and about 330.I'm going to do a couple of rounds of P90 or Power 90 before trying P90X

How much different are the exercises in the p90 from the ones in the p90x?

Brit is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

verdilak,

Give it a try, but start out slow. Try it for a week or two at 1/2 speed, meaning go through each exercise once, not twice.

Remember, the more muscle you build, the more fat you'll burn = more weight loss. Just make sure to keep eating...fat and protein!

I also agree with DCKMA...try P90 first and work your way to P90X.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast