Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: kettlebell swings vs running page 4

jmosery is offline Member
    thanks will look into them

winterorange is offline Junior Member
    Sorry to hijack this thread... There was a kettlebell workout on one of Mr. Sisson's blog posts a while back. It had a trainer who went from the lying down position with the KB, reached up with it, and then slowly went into a standing position.

I've searched the blog and must be missing it. Does anyone remember that post / youtube clip? Been trying to find it all day as it was quite informative! Thanks.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winterorange View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread... There was a kettlebell workout on one of Mr. Sisson's blog posts a while back. It had a trainer who went from the lying down position with the KB, reached up with it, and then slowly went into a standing position.

I've searched the blog and must be missing it. Does anyone remember that post / youtube clip? Been trying to find it all day as it was quite informative! Thanks.

I believe the exercise you're referring to is a Turkish getup. YouTube it. Lots of imformative videos talking about proper technique

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLoRu View Post
    I believe the exercise you're referring to is a Turkish getup. YouTube it. Lots of imformative videos talking about proper technique
    I am new to kettlebells but love this free mp3. There is a 20 and 30 min workout with great music and minimum talking. Lots of rests but also good range of starting exercises.

Kettlebell Videos, Training, Exercises, Gyms, Workouts & News

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dunphy View Post
    25 minutes of swings! wow. ambitious doesn't even begin to describe that.

why not incorporate swings into some kind of a conditioning routine?

i suggest a swing/burpee ladder.

ladder down on your swings from 20 to 2 by 2's as you ladder up in burpees from 1 to 10 by 1's.

here's how the reps would break down...

20 swings/1 burpee
    18 swings/2 burpees
    16 swings/3 burpees
    14 swings/4 burpees
    12 swings/5 burpees
    10 swings/6 burpees
    8 swings/7 burpees
    6 swings/8 burpees
    4 swings/9 burpees
    2 swings/10 burpees

this is a guaranteed SMOKER. as you get more advanced, you can substitute the swings for kettlebell snatches.

if you can't do burpees, you can substitute half burpees (no jump) or squat thrusts (burpees with no push-up).
    Thanks for posting, I'll be trying this one this morning. (We'll see how "thankful" I am in a couple of hours)
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 10-14-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Just finished the swing/burpee ladder. Holy crap, that was a workout. LOVED it!

- Robert Louis Stevenson

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Can't wait to try that! Love a good Burpee ladder.

KimT is offline Senior Member
    Me, my husband, and a few friends have done something similar a few times (because once wasn't enough obviously and we're stupid!) We started at 25 swings/1 burpee, going to 24 swings/2 burpees all the way by 1 to 1 swing/25 burpees. Last time I used a combo of a 20 kg and 16 kg bell, my husband I'd a 32 kg.

Our farwell workout before our move was setting the timer for 1 minute intervals and alternating swings and burpees with no rest for 30 minutes. We did it with about 15 friends.

Always fun to be had and there are countless ways of crushing yourself in a short amount of time.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by KimT View Post
    Me, my husband, and a few friends have done something similar a few times (because once wasn't enough obviously and we're stupid!) We started at 25 swings/1 burpee, going to 24 swings/2 burpees all the way by 1 to 1 swing/25 burpees. Last time I used a combo of a 20 kg and 16 kg bell, my husband I'd a 32 kg.

Our farwell workout before our move was setting the timer for 1 minute intervals and alternating swings and burpees with no rest for 30 minutes. We did it with about 15 friends.

Always fun to be had and there are countless ways of crushing yourself in a short amount of time.

Good luck!

I think I'll try that farewell workout next time I'm REALLY pissed at myself! I may end up having to schedule bilateral knee replacements shortly after, but that'll teach me a lesson.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

KimT is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It was brutal, but at least with alternating minutes you can sort of pace yourself, when the time is up, it's up. Not like having to do a set number of reps.

For the first workout I mentioned, the first time I did it I used a 35 pound bell, took me 1 hour 35 minutes, and 9 months to recover from the shoulder pain of doing 325 burpees (I have fibro, so the body doesn't always respond properly). Good times.

Post back if you ever try it! Misery loves company!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast