Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: kettlebell swings vs running page 3

bluefueo is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dunphy View Post
    i suggest a swing/burpee ladder.

ladder down on your swings from 20 to 2 by 2's as you ladder up in burpees from 1 to 10 by 1's.

here's how the reps would break down...

20 swings/1 burpee
    18 swings/2 burpees
    16 swings/3 burpees
    14 swings/4 burpees
    12 swings/5 burpees
    10 swings/6 burpees
    8 swings/7 burpees
    6 swings/8 burpees
    4 swings/9 burpees
    2 swings/10 burpees

this is a guaranteed SMOKER. as you get more advanced, you can substitute the swings for kettlebell snatches.

if you can't do burpees, you can substitute half burpees (no jump) or squat thrusts (burpees with no push-up).
    Wow... tried this today (squat thrusts - not pushups for me till tennis elbow resolves) - did NOT think it would be that hard! I was left huffing and puffing for quite awhile. Thanks for sharing...

-Lydia

Anniex4 is offline Junior Member

Kettlebell and burpee ladder

Hey there,

Just did this for the first time, wow - thought given how much kettling / jogging / bootcamp etc I have done in the last year this would be ok. My heart is pouding out of my chest. I only used doublehand swings, thought I'd save the overhead for later. I'm using a 12kg (26.5lb) kettlebell.

It took me 6 minutes 29 seconds. I tried to do it as intensly as I could.

My previous kettlebell workout was 50 minutes where I was incorporating a warm up followed by 3 x 5 minute swings working 15 x 15 for the first and 20 x 10 for the 2nd 2 sets taking a minutes rest in between. First session was mixed, 2nd overhead and 3rd mixed. I'm nearly snatching the 12kg, could snatch the 8kg well.

I have incorporated a bit of jogging (only 5km twice weekly) but do not enjoy it. If you could suggest other workouts such as this to mix up my kettlebell routine it would be great.

I meant to mention that as my original routine (kb) was taking so long I condensed it to a 400 rep workout incorporating all the presses/push/swings/abs/arms and it takes me about 15 minutes (that would include 2 x 30 second planks at the end and perhaps some renegade rows if my arms haven't died).

I'm a mother of 4 boys (all 8 and under) am no more than 63kg (want to be 57kg) but find fat loss just isn't happening on the scale but my figure is changing (have ditched the scale after turning 40).

Any suggestion for specific kettlebell fat burn apart from what I am doing?

Thank you
    Anniex4

ps my diet is excellent, I do indulge in a bit of wine at the weekend but otherwise eat largely non processed food with a huge emphasis on fresh fish as I live in a coastal fishing village in the southeast of Ireland.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Kettlebells are my weapon of choice along with bodyweight exercises.

That ladder posted above is a killer.

I go to KB class that is an absolute killer as well but I love it.

10 x 2 minute rounds with 30 seconds rest in between and then a 9 minute continuous meltdown at the end!

Try throwing in some tabata protocols every now and then just to get your heart pumping. 20/10 x 8 and use a heavier weight.

I think your better off doing less reps with a heavier weight on primal although I tend to do both methods myself.

Also there are a few threads on Kettlebells if your scroll through the pages or search.

GL

If you're really going 30 straight minutes (which would put your heart rate in Lance Armstrong regions for a nice stretch), my suggestion would be to lower the reps and up the weight.

Lots of the above suggestions would work well with this. For swings, a 36 lb KB, working up to 20 overhead per set, should get nice results.

I would also second our colleagues who suggest ditching the running. It's probably more trouble than it's worth - particularly at that pace.

Heavier bells and bigger movements - as per the above!

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    Once a week I do 75 swings with 55 pounds. takes less than 2 minutes. I'm breathing at end like I just pushed my car up a hill.

Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Thanks for that... I got some smaller K-Bs too for my wife and daughter (Found a guy here in Atlanta that sells the k-b's for $1.30 per pound). So I have been practicing cleans and snatches with lighter k-b's. Can believe how bad I was banging my wrists with the clean before I figured it out.....
    Check out Ebay for Kettle bells. There is a company, New York Iron (or something like that) that is the cheapest I've found, mainly because they ship USP one price pack.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Capalbo View Post
    Check out Ebay for Kettle bells. There is a company, New York Iron (or something like that) that is the cheapest I've found, mainly because they ship USP one price pack.
    Rich, the cheapest I have found is Walmart online, and they ship to your local Walmart for free.....
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Rich, the cheapest I have found is Walmart online, and they ship to your local Walmart for free.....
    Thanks. By the way, I used to work with Dan Haggarty when I lived in L.A.

jmosery is offline Member
    I like to work at home with dvd's and want to get into Kettlebell workouts

would these substitute my lifting days?

anyone recommend a good dvd to purchase?

I am 35 yo female and do lift

anyone have an idea about what kettlebell weight I should buy to start with? i currently lift with dumbbells and do bench presses with 20 lbs in each hand and bicep curls with 15 lbs in each hand. just to give you an idea of what i'm lifting.

jaime

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jmosery View Post
    I like to work at home with dvd's and want to get into Kettlebell workouts

would these substitute my lifting days?

anyone recommend a good dvd to purchase?

I am 35 yo female and do lift

anyone have an idea about what kettlebell weight I should buy to start with? i currently lift with dumbbells and do bench presses with 20 lbs in each hand and bicep curls with 15 lbs in each hand. just to give you an idea of what i'm lifting.

jaime
    Women are recommended to start with 25 lbs bells, sounds like those would not be a problem for you. As far as video, be a little selective, there is some junk out there now, but anything by Steve Cotter would be good. He is a little dry, but has some great videos.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast