Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: kettlebell swings vs running page 2

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You do not need to run/jog in order to get a great cardiovascular workout. IMHO running is one of the least efficient cardiovascular exercises. Unless you really love to run, it's an exercise that takes a lot of time for a little payoff (or maybe I just hate running).

Kettlebell swings absolutely qualify as high intensity training. I agree that you must have some awesome endurance if you can swing a kettlebell for 25-30 minutes. Add some variety to your swings, or switch up the kettlebell with other high intensity activities/sprinting. You'll never want to run again.

firemedicgrok is offline Member
    I love the kettlebell swing for my conditioning workout. I have been following the new book by Bud Jefferies" I will be Iron". It is awesome. Right now I try to do a swing workout every third day. The Kb swing is awesome.

ckck1234 is offline Senior Member
    interesting, I didn't even know those classes existed.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Kettlebells are awsome, real Grokers kettlebell. Yes, you will add muscle with the K-bells, adds weight in the short run, but all that new muscle will start requiring more energy to fuel it and you will lose more in the long run....

K-Bell On.....

Rosencrantz1 is offline Member
    I've been doing the Enter The Kettlebell program for close to a year. I started with a 16kg bell (35lb) and am now working with the 24kg bell (53 lbs). I do almost no 'cardio' - some jumping rope a few times a week is about it. I'm the leanest I've ever been in my life and, more than that, in the best overall shape of my life. I work out 3-3.5 hours a week total.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosencrantz1 View Post
    I've been doing the Enter The Kettlebell program for close to a year. I started with a 16kg bell (35lb) and am now working with the 24kg bell (53 lbs). I do almost no 'cardio' - some jumping rope a few times a week is about it. I'm the leanest I've ever been in my life and, more than that, in the best overall shape of my life. I work out 3-3.5 hours a week total.
    I have been doing the Enter the Kettlebell for a month now, just doing the minimum program, swings and getups with a 35 lb, when did or have you made the switch over to the advance program?

Rosencrantz1 is offline Member
    TorMag

I did the Program Minimum for probably 3-4 months before moving to the RoP. I did RoP with the 16kg bell for about 6 months, moving up to 5x(1,2,3,4,5) ladders on my heavy day, and solid technique in my snatches and swings.

When I moved up to the 24kg bell, I did a training session with a RKC to dial-in my form. I've been back on the PM with that heavier bell since the 1st of the year. I'm hoping to start RoP with it sometime in the foreseeable future.

You can make a ton of progress with the 35lb bell and the PM. I say don't be in any kind of rush to move into RoP. Just make sure you are doing some "practicing" of the RoP moves - C+P and snatch - as part of your work. Slow and steady wins the race, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosencrantz1 View Post
    TorMag

I did the Program Minimum for probably 3-4 months before moving to the RoP. I did RoP with the 16kg bell for about 6 months, moving up to 5x(1,2,3,4,5) ladders on my heavy day, and solid technique in my snatches and swings.

When I moved up to the 24kg bell, I did a training session with a RKC to dial-in my form. I've been back on the PM with that heavier bell since the 1st of the year. I'm hoping to start RoP with it sometime in the foreseeable future.

You can make a ton of progress with the 35lb bell and the PM. I say don't be in any kind of rush to move into RoP. Just make sure you are doing some "practicing" of the RoP moves - C+P and snatch - as part of your work. Slow and steady wins the race, for sure.
    Thanks for that... I got some smaller K-Bs too for my wife and daughter (Found a guy here in Atlanta that sells the k-b's for $1.30 per pound). So I have been practicing cleans and snatches with lighter k-b's. Can believe how bad I was banging my wrists with the clean before I figured it out.....

Tom Dunphy is offline Member
    25 minutes of swings! wow. ambitious doesn't even begin to describe that.

why not incorporate swings into some kind of a conditioning routine?

i suggest a swing/burpee ladder.

ladder down on your swings from 20 to 2 by 2's as you ladder up in burpees from 1 to 10 by 1's.

here's how the reps would break down...

20 swings/1 burpee
    18 swings/2 burpees
    16 swings/3 burpees
    14 swings/4 burpees
    12 swings/5 burpees
    10 swings/6 burpees
    8 swings/7 burpees
    6 swings/8 burpees
    4 swings/9 burpees
    2 swings/10 burpees

this is a guaranteed SMOKER. as you get more advanced, you can substitute the swings for kettlebell snatches.

if you can't do burpees, you can substitute half burpees (no jump) or squat thrusts (burpees with no push-up).

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I actually like to combine kettlebell swings with running.... for that cardio high! Try being more primal- get the carbs out and walk. It's normal to crave carbs when the weather warms up so sure if you feel fat you might want to swing that kettlebell around then run a little. Keep the workout short though- no longer than 25 minutes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast