Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Exercise?! page

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Yes, yet another idiotic question form NSWM.

That&#39;s what happens when you promise yourself to start the PB challenge Monday and leave off reading the book for Sunday ><

I read most of it (this would be my second time) but &#39;moving for long periods of time, sprinting once in a while and lifting heavy things&#39; is too vague for me!

I need something more structured, something I can do at home and I&#39;m so confused how long, how many times a week and WHAT to do (though I&#39;m sure Mark tried to explain that in his book and I didn&#39;t get it...).

What do you do? :0

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Yeah it can be very open ended but that&#39;s part of the fun. My "moving for long periods of time" he&#39;s referring to simple activities that don&#39;t necessarily have to be considered "proper exercise" like going shopping, taking a hike, a bike ride, etc. Sprinting once in a while is exactly that. I shoot for two days of anywhere from 8-10 all-out sprints. Everybody has their own speed, just make sure you&#39;re sprinting as fast as you can for around 30-40 yards - some do more, some less if you&#39;re just starting out you don&#39;t even need to do 8-10 sprints, you can do 3-5 and work your way up - Finally, lifting heavy things is a topic I brought up myself because I wasn&#39;t exactly sure what that meant. It was explained to me that "heavy" is also subjective, so lift things that are heavy for you every now and then. If you have access to a gym look into any sort of routine that involves compound movements (squats, deaflifts) which will engage most of your muscles at once. I hope that helped a bit ...

Basically you can shape it however you want, no need to be super structured (at least not yet)

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

Well put, iniquity.

Here is what I do:

- lifting 3 days a week (I do total body workouts with compound lifts, I change my routeine up every 6-8 weeks)

--> on at least two of those lifting days I also do sprints (Tabata protocols or 10-15 minute sprints). I like starting with them to get them over and done with, otherwise it&#39;s mighty easy for me to make an excuse to not do them!

- two-hour Irish dance class once a week (owie, my feet!)

- yoga on Sundays (if I can)

- I fall a little short in the moving around slowly department... I like walking (ie. to work) but I also live in Canada and my workplace is right by the docks so for half the year this is a no-go because of the bone-chilling weather and winds)

If you&#39;re a structured person like I am, make up your own set schedule, and change it up as you please!

So I can&#39;t just do like interval training 5 days a week and call it PB? :0

I&#39;m also afraid of doing this little because it&#39;s super hard for me to lose weight as it is.

Nekurahn is offline Junior Member

Think of exercise as a proxy to weight loss. It&#39;ll raise your thyroxine levels, raise insulin sensitivity and increase fit; three elements that enhance weight loss, yes, but your diet does most of the job.

Being overweight makes S.A.D people eat more, just as being fit makes us move and exercise more. Not the other way around.

Honey, trust me, I tried for YEARS to lean out by exercise alone (and eating "healthy") and it didn&#39;t get me anywhere! What you eat really is the bulk of the equation. Just like many people around here say that IFing and not having to worry about food is liberating, so too is the gym liberation. Sure, you can do intervals 5 days a week but why not add compound lifts to balance out your upper half and gain some practical strength? Doing squats, deadlifts and shoulder presses will come in handy one day when you try to pick up your grandkids! That&#39;s how I look at it anyway. :-)

I just can&#39;t figure it out!!!

So if I do interval training 3 times a week, walk almost every day for 20-30 minutes and then scare the shit out of my mom by running around the apartment at full speed 8 times, I&#39;ll be Primal Fit?

Nekurahn is offline Junior Member

I doubt you&#39;ll be able to reach adequate speed in the apartment because of the constantly changing velocity.

Lol I suppose that would qualify you as primal fit. The whole point of moving around a lot slowly is that it&#39;s supposed to be spontaneous and part of your day. You don&#39;t necessarily set up a time to move around slowly - instead you could take the stairs whenever you can, do some other low-level activity you enjoy, heck even cleaning the house qualifies under this!

Just incorporate all three (move a lot, lift heavy, sprint) on a weekly basis and see how you feel. You can increase/decrease certain components based on how you feel or what fits into your schedule.

PrimalCon New York

Well, Neku, I don&#39;t feel like doing it outside and breaking my neck on the ice/ getting ran over by a car. There aren&#39;t any places I could think of, not to mention have the desire to be running around in public!

I feel like I already do that and I&#39;m fat!

I walk, I always take the stairs but I never sprint or lift heavy things (do groceries count?).

I&#39;ll try that.

Oh and I heard others do sprinting but not technically sprinting but things like jumping or really fast movements? Is that good?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast