Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Does a Primal "High Carb" Day Look Like? page

VTmeetsMontréal is offline Senior Member

What Does a Primal "High Carb" Day Look Like?

Primal Fuel
    I'm curious to find out what a "high carb" day would look like. I'm trying to slowly reintroduce carbs into my diet after being VLC for a while, but I don't want to enter into a "high carb" zone either - I simply want to enjoy both fats and carbs while still losing weight. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    What is your height, weight and activity level? Those are all relevant factors to consider in determining optimal macro levels.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I cycle. A few low or zero carb days, then a few days with a few sweet potatoes for dinner along with the meat. Always moderate fat, though. I have experienced no weight gain doing this. But I'm at maintenance now. For losing, I was only doing one or two carby days during the week, and higher fat to a degree.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

5'8, 150-55 , moderate - high activity (training for half marathon, bike 30 mins back and forth to work 3 times a week, walk approximately 2-3 hours a week). But I have recently gained at least 5 lbs (afraid to look to the scale) in fat over the past month due to restricting and binging then on carbs. Looking to up the carbs without undermining any weightloss efforts I try to make.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTmeetsMontréal View Post
    5'8, 150-55 , moderate - high activity (training for half marathon, bike 30 mins back and forth to work 3 times a week, walk approximately 2-3 hours a week). But I have recently gained at least 5 lbs (afraid to look to the scale) in fat over the past month due to restricting and binging then on carbs. Looking to up the carbs without undermining any weightloss efforts I try to make.
    Based on your height, and weight - alone - that's not too bad of a size to weight ratio. I would definitely think about adding white rice, sweet potatoes, and regular potatoes..

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious to find out what a "high carb" day would look like. I'm trying to slowly reintroduce carbs into my diet after being VLC for a while, but I don't want to enter into a "high carb" zone either - I simply want to enjoy both fats and carbs while still losing weight. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Completely depends on who you ask/what the situation is. For me, a high carb day would likely include white potatoes, white rice, maybe even some sugar(gasp!), as long as my fructose stayed under 50g.

I do typically backload my carbs, a carby breakfast doesn't do much for me. Maybe:

IF or eggs for breakfast.

Multiple plates of AYCE sushi, so a couple pounds(?) of white rice.

Meat, veg, and mashed potatoes for dinner, and maybe some Hagen-Daas for dessert.

So maybe 600g+ of carbs?

Bear in mind that would all be after lifting late in morning, and that I'm young-ish, male, and I guess "an athlete". I also can't be bothered to do high-carb/low fat refeeds, I just eat fat with my carbs. If I was doing HC/LF, my carbs would of course be higher. While weight-loss isn't a primary goal, I am slowly leaning out the last bit.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    just shoot for 20% of your calories from carbs, mostly glucose. say a 3/4 - 1lb of sweet potatoes in a day.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Depends on what your local weather is...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    just shoot for 20% of your calories from carbs, mostly glucose. say a 3/4 - 1lb of sweet potatoes in a day.
    Thanks for the posts everyone!

Jakey, I read on another post that your brain uses 600 g of glucose a day? Therefore carbs comprised mostly of glucose are okay in larger quantities? Does this mean that fructose carbs aren't as good (fruits and such) for weightloss?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the posts everyone!

Jakey, I read on another post that your brain uses 600 g of glucose a day? Therefore carbs comprised mostly of glucose are okay in larger quantities? Does this mean that fructose carbs aren't as good (fruits and such) for weightloss?
    hi, that would be 600 calories of glucose, which is about 125 grams. fructose is really only good for one thing, metabolically speaking, and that's refilling liver glycogen. which is to say, it won't fuel anything. every single cell in your body can use glucose though, which is pretty cool.

also, to be clear, i guess i was describing my own diet, not a high carb diet. i shoot for 100grams of carbs a day, which is about 400 calories. so my liver makes a little extra glucose from amino acids for my brain, and probably some ketones while i sleep. i still derive most of my calories from fat, but i'm not in VLC land.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast