Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues in Introducing Carbs after VLC for 1.5 years page

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member

Issues in Introducing Carbs after VLC for 1.5 years

Primal Fuel
    Hi All!

I don't know if I posted this earlier, but I am dong so again to make sure it came through. Also, I have begun introducing (starchy) carbs back into my diet, since of the negative effects I've been constantly dealing with since being VLC for 1.5 years.

I was wondering if anyone else had issues in introducing carbs back into their diets after being VLC for a while. I seem to be experiencing: flatulence, bloating, flushing, thyroid pain, fatigue and indigestion..Has anyone experienced anything like this after introducing carbs back into their diets? I'm now eating potatoes, both sweet and white. Not the skins, either. No rice yet, nor fruit, because these symptoms escalate when including them in my diet. I have some positive side effects too, but concerned about the negative ones..Are they necessary/positive? Like my body adjusting to carbs or getting what it needs? Or do you think they're bad? Like symptoms being caused from candida?

I've also read that going VLC allows the body to better detoxify itself, and thus the side effects of VLC, such as low thyroid and adrenal fatigue, are from the body detoxifying rather than just being malnourished..Any thoughts on this?

Please, be concise and detailed in your experience. Details help me better relate to you and solve my issues.

Thank you!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    but I am dong
    Nice!

No, man. I never stay low-carb for more than a few days on end. I'm lucky to have walked into this after the low-carb-every-day craze has subsided, and found out about the thyroid issues pretty early on.

But have you tried increasing your greens instead of potatoes?
    Last edited by Knifegill; 03-28-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I increased my potatoes, but I already eat a lot of greens. I eat lots of the cruciferous vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts. I also eat carrots, peppers, green peas and onions. I will try adding things like spinach and kale and see if they help. I hope I didn't damage my thyroid too much, I'm kind of scared now.

I'm also going to try and add some organ meats into some stews, maybe it's an iron, copper and/or B12 deficiency.

Thanks for your help Knifegill.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Low carb doesn't destroy your thyroid. Relax. It's a natural thing for your thyroid to down-regulate under caloric restriction, weight loss and prolonged low carb diets. It'll bounce back.

Here's what Dr. Rosedale says:

I believe that Jaminet and most others misunderstand the physiologic response to low glucose, and the true meaning of low thyroid. Glucose scarcity (deficiency may be a misnomer) elicits an evolutionary response to perceived low fuel availability. This results in a shift in genetic expression to allow that organism to better survive the perceived famine. Intracellular antioxidant systems, heat shock proteins, DNA repair, autophagy, all tricks that nature has, are up-regulated to allow the organism to increase repair and maintain itself to remain healthy and alive. As part of this genetic expression, and as part and parcel of nature’s mechanism to allow the maintenance of health and actually reduce the rate of aging, certain events will take place as seen in caloric restricted animals. These include a reduction in serum glucose, insulin, leptin, and free T3.

The reduction in free T3 is of great benefit, reducing temperature, metabolic damage and decreasing catabolism. TSH is not elevated. We are not talking about a hypothyroid condition. It is a purposeful reduction in thyroid activity to elicit health. Yes, reverse T3 is increased, as this is a normal, healthy, physiologic mechanism to reduce thyroid activity. It is not always a sign of malfunctioning thyroid as is frequently taught, but is instead one of the redundant ways that thyroid action is controlled. Reduced thyroid level in this regard is analogous to reduced fasting insulin that generally indicates improved insulin sensitivity, which also occurs in fasting and caloric restricted animals, and is also part and parcel of the benefits seen. Sometimes our complexity is indeed paradoxical.
    It may not feel optimal to stay low carb and have reduced thyroid activity but it's not harming you permanently or destroying your thyroid any more than it's destroying your pancreas.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

BroderickMi is offline Junior Member
    I will try adding things like spinach and kale and see if they help

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Low carb doesn't destroy your thyroid. Relax. It's a natural thing for your thyroid to down-regulate under caloric restriction, weight loss and prolonged low carb diets. It'll bounce back.

It may not feel optimal to stay low carb and have reduced thyroid activity but it's not harming you permanently or destroying your thyroid any more than it's destroying your pancreas.
    Thanks, for this. I find Rosedale's stuff interesting - may bit a lot of babble, but the nerd in me likes that stuff .
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

Thank you for the article, SBHikes. The article was enlightening on my issue, and has definitely helped to further understand what may be going on. But, is it normal to get these side effects I'm experiencing? Maybe it's been too long and my body has suffered from it, and therefore the symptoms I'm experiencing are necessary for my body to regain balance?

I'm not a big fan of eating fruit, so getting my calories up may be a bit tough. I'll try incorporating 3 meals in my day, instead of two. And, I'll try to add more vegetables and oils into my diet.

Thanks Hikes!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Did you know our bodies have no need at all for carbs.

None! Nada! Zilch!

We can get all the fuel we need for the ol' bod from protein and fat, and the brain actually is more efficient when burning ketones. So why bother to a them back if you are happy with VLC? We have ALL been hornswoggled by 50 years of thou must eateth of the carbs.

There are lots of research papers to support this.

J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2004; 1(2): 7–11.Metabolic Effects of the Very-Low-Carbohydrate Diets: Misunderstood "Villains" of Human Metabolism by Anssi H Manninen

Letter to the Editor - American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 75, No. 5, 951-953, May 2002
    Is dietary carbohydrate essential for human nutrition?
    Eric C Westman (Department of Medicine Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC

How Many Carbohydrates Do You Need? by blogger Lyle McDonald
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Analog6, I agree with most of it. But, it's a matter of where you get your carbohydrates, too. It's true we don't necessarily need grains, legumes, and starches (to a degree, on starches). There is some debate, whether or not we need vegetables, too. However, it wouldn't hurt to include some plants (sources of Carbohydrates, too); and fruits.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I normally do, I like veges, but it I find it interesting that really, we don't need them. No doctor will tell you it is not necessary to eat them, I bet!

That said, it would be pretty dull at dinner time (IMHO) without veges.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast