Thread: Making raw coconut milk? page

Aquamarine is offline Member

Making raw coconut milk?

I read about making coconut milk at home: grind up the coconut flesh well, soak in hot water, then sieve the bits from the milk. The instructions I see involve really hot water.

Can I use only 105-115 degree water and still get milk? (If I blend it with the water for long enough.) Or would the tiny bits of coconut retain too much of the flavor/nutrients?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    i use boiling water when mixing with the flakes, blend in food processor and then sieve it.

Team Oberg is offline Senior Member
    I use hot water out of my tap and get good results. I do have REALLY hot tap water, but I just throw it in a blender. Mine even seperates like canned coconut milk if I store it in the fridge
    *I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.*
    Marilyn Monroe

Darz is offline Senior Member
    yeah that does happen, and if you want, you can skim the floating fat and you get coconut cream. Coconuts are so versatile.

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    I had a project making coconut oil near the coast of Guatemala. We started out making it in a standard home blender. We cut the fresh coconut into quarter-sized pieced to not stress the motor. We would load about half of the blender and then fill it up with warm water, around 120 degrees, maybe. We would blend it pretty thoroughly (rice-sized chunks), but too much and it just turns to pulp and the milk is harder to extract. We would pour the slush into an old shirt and twist and squeeze out the milk. You don't need high heat to extract the coconut milk, but warm water does help. We were making coconut oil, so we would extract the water later through fermentation, which means it didn't matter if we added a lot or a little. If you are going to make milk you might limit the amount of extra water and you can always dilute it later.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    The way that we make it cold is thus:

Take your coconut water and coconut flesh, and do a gentle blend. then, we let it sit for about 30-45 minutes. add a bit of spring water, do a gentle blend, let it sit. do again, and again, and again until you have very milky-coconut milk.

then pass it through a t-shirt stretched tight over a pitcher or bowl, to capture the flesh (which you can then use in baking, etc) and let the liquid go through. Then, squeeze it out.

It's also how nut-milks (almond, etc) are made. it's mostly a soaking process.

It's a bit time intensive, but it's good. And, you can just add less water to make coconut cream.

smithj is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
    I read about making coconut milk at home: grind up the coconut flesh well, soak in hot water, then sieve the bits from the milk. The instructions I see involve really hot water.

Can I use only 105-115 degree water and still get milk? (If I blend it with the water for long enough.) Or would the tiny bits of coconut retain too much of the flavor/nutrients?
    You don't really need hot water to extract the milk. Or you can even extract the milk without water at all. The result is thicker which is better.

nancy102 is offline Junior Member
    Coconut milk really healthy for body. It helps to maintain the sugar ration in blood.Decreases the risk of joint inflammation.Helps to decrease the blood pressure.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Why would you dilute it with tap water??

A good coconut has flesh and water - which is what you use to make the cream/milk.

Aquamarine is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone.