Thread: High TC and LDL an issue? page

JetsToChina is offline Junior Member

High TC and LDL an issue?

Shop Now
    Hey all,

I just recently had my first lipid profile and the doctor seems alarmed by the results, and the fact that I eat so much saturated fat. I'm a 25 year old crossfitter (5'7", 165, 8-10% BF). I seem to perform best with lots of fat and I average 100-200g of carbs from veggies, tubers and the occasional fruit. Over the past year or so I estimate 80% primal adherence (including cheese and butter).

TC: 302 Trig: 42 HDL: 98 LDL: 181

I requested the test for LDL particle size but apparently this particular lab doesn't run that test (go figure). I don't really know if the high LDL and TC is a problem, but I plan to cut dairy and increase adherence in an attempt to lower them a bit. Should I be concerned at all? And/or does cutting dairy sound like a viable strategy? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsToChina View Post
    Hey all,

I just recently had my first lipid profile and the doctor seems alarmed by the results, and the fact that I eat so much saturated fat. I'm a 25 year old crossfitter (5'7", 165, 8-10% BF). I seem to perform best with lots of fat and I average 100-200g of carbs from veggies, tubers and the occasional fruit. Over the past year or so I estimate 80% primal adherence (including cheese and butter).

I requested the test for LDL particle size but apparently this particular lab doesn't run that test (go figure). I don't really know if the high LDL and TC is a problem, but I plan to cut dairy and increase adherence in an attempt to lower them a bit. Should I be concerned at all? And/or does cutting dairy sound like a viable strategy? Thanks in advance for the advice.
    I have heard of cutting dairy alone taking care of this. Cutting the dairy seems to lower the LDL significantly in some people. Other than that a chronic infection is another possibility. Your ratios are not horrible (Your trigs are low, your HDL is high....LDL is elevated) , but I would still cut the dairy for a while and retest if you are concerned.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-28-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Hey all,

SUPER NUMBERS!! With Trigs that low and HDL that high you are pretty much guarenteed to have Pattern A (Light Fluffy) LDL. Don't let anyone tell you your numbers are bad. Keep up what you are doing and don't worry at all about it.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I have almost identical numbers (even BF%, weight, and age) as you. My LDL has been going up since I first had it checked a couple years ago. I heard this podcast recently and it caught my attention:
    6: ‘All Things Lipids (Cholesterol 101)’ | Chris Masterjohn | Jimmy Moore Presents: Ask The Low-Carb Experts

The relevant part starts at 1:07:00 (an hour and 7 minutes in).

Basically, Chris Masterjohn is explaining a case of a guy whose cholesterol was steadily rising over time. He had high ferritin, but at the same time, he had low hemoglobin. It turned out that he was hypothyroid. Thyroid hormone is used to convert ferritin to hemoglobin (I think) and also helps in using LDL to produce sex hormones and lots of other stuff. It might not be the same case with you, but you might want to get a full thyroid panel (TSH, T3, reverse T3, T4). I plan to get mine checked next time I go to the doctor.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Your numbers look awesome to me.

Don't worry about a particle measurement. If you get anything else, get a CRP-hs.

sifardi is offline Junior Member
    How much dairy were you consuming per day? I have a similar issue and I wonder how much is too much?

Hey all,

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    When I read the OP in my head I swapped the trigs and HDL around, and I was secretly thinking 'actually, those are pretty bad numbers'. But your actual ratios are excellent.

Ratio, Griff's target = yours
    Chol/HDL ratio Griff <5 = 3.08
    Trig/HDL ratio Griff <2 = 0.43
    LDL/HDL ratio Griff <4.3 = 1.85
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right