Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Not Losing Weight After Strictly Following Primal for 6 Months page 7

lamoka is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by mnicoll View Post
    Really? Wow, I never knew that. I'm not on any viatmins at all---do you have any suggestions?
    I use isotonix.. they are a crystalized version and are said to be easily absorbed and not much lost in the digestive process.. multi tech is the multi vitamin... market america is the distributor..
    Female 5'5", Feb. 29, 2012 SW 208, GW 160
    My journal...
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post734883

AngloPaleo is offline Member
    Don't know if anyone has pointed that out earlier, but do you get enough sleep working 70 hours and exercising as much as you do? That would get in the way of fat loss...

Chattyprincess is offline Junior Member
    Alright, so this is only my second or third time ever posting in mda forums. I am also female and am constantly amazed at how hard it is for alot of women to feel good on primal/paleo eating plans. I feel so touched by your honesty and the way you are reaching out I had to respond.
    Here is what I think, have you read the primal blueprint book? there is a lot of really good accessable info there. Peanut butter is not primal. what other forms of fat besides coconut are you using? are you cooking your fish in fat? Are you dosing your salads in oil? Are the veggies you are eating coverd in some type of fat?
    Honestly if it were me, (and I have 30 lbs to lose and using this same way of eating have lost 10) I would amp up my fat, carb and protein intake. I don't think we give our bodies enough credit. I think women need a bit more fat and carbs then men need. I think this is SO much MORE true if you are in your childbearing years. If you are lifting heavy things you need protein to build muscle.
    I agree with another poster that said take 2 weeks and try to eat as much primal food as you can, 3 big primal meals. You are stalled out after 6 months, 2 weeks of testing is not going to kill you. I really think and feel that the low carb thing is not going so great for you. Cut out all primal "treats" no baked goods or things made with nut or coconut flours. Cut out the sugar to a bare minimum, that includes honey, maple syrup etc. Use a little in coffee or tea if you need it but stop there with the use of added sweetners.
    Eat 2 eggs fried in fat for breakfast plus 1/4 of a sweet potato with fat and cinnamon on top.
    Eat a big ass salad for lunch with some type of shredded meat and lots of colorful veggies AND FRUITS. Dose that baby in oil and vinegar (my fav is balsamic)
    Eat an amazing dinner, 1/2 a sweet potato or real potato or rice, 4-8 oz of meat, steamed veggies topped with fat. Make a variety, eat chicken, turkey, steak, burgers etc.
    Here is the key though. Eat to fullness, do not stuff yourself but don't eat until you think you should stop. Literally eat until you are full.
    Primal eating is all about variety. Our ancestors did not eat the same foods every day for 6 months, it was impossible. They ate what they foraged in the wild and what they could hunt or trap or fish. That means that when the fish was running they ate fish, they ate 30 or more species of wild meats.
    Find your passion for being primal. Go to the store, look at the foods there and become inspired again. You sound so worn down with the day in and day out of working so hard that you need to find that passion, that spark for life. Go throw the frisbee for yourself in the park, drag your poor other half with you cause he sounds worn down from school. Bounce a ball up and down the hallway at work, do sprints down the hallway to the bathroom, do jumping jacks after using the bathroom. Use an excersie ball as your chair at work. Find oppurtonties in your day to include those crazy movements that are good for your body and make you smile because you look crazy in the mirror.

Editing to add,
    do not look at your scale for the 2 weeks you are challenge your diet. Go by how you FEEL. Try to get more sleep, try to judge your health by how good you feel when you wake up and how your body feels throughout the day. Also take a multi vitamin throught the 2 weeks. You could have low b vitamins or need a boost of something you lacking. You can also take a fish oil.

and again.
    If after 2 week you do not FEEL right go to your doctor and ask for thryoid testing. Explain you think you could have pcos, tell the doc you want him to help you figure out what is wrong. If you don't think your doc will listen, you need a dif. doc if possible. There are so many amazing docs out there who want to help and find out whats wrong. It might take some time to find but its worth it.
    Last edited by Chattyprincess; 03-30-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Vans is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chattyprincess View Post
    Here is the key though. Eat to fullness, do not stuff yourself but don't eat until you think you should stop. Literally eat until you are full.
    Editing to add,
    do not look at your scale for the 2 weeks you are challenge your diet. Go by how you FEEL. Try to get more sleep, try to judge your health by how good you feel when you wake up and how your body feels throughout the day. Also take a multi vitamin throught the 2 weeks. You could have low b vitamins or need a boost of something you lacking. You can also take a fish oil.

and again.
    If after 2 week you do not FEEL right go to your doctor and ask for thryoid testing. Explain you think you could have pcos, tell the doc you want him to help you figure out what is wrong. If you don't think your doc will listen, you need a dif. doc if possible. There are so many amazing docs out there who want to help and find out whats wrong. It might take some time to find but its worth it.
    This is exactly what I needed today. Said perfectly. Planning to do exactly that, no scale for two weeks while I experiment with eating to fullness and getting the appropriate foods. Thanks

Kiwi-grok is offline Junior Member
    What about the Primal Protein Shakes to add the extra protein. I think I eat quite a bit of meat (we get loads of free wild pork) but I am having the same problem re: getting the body shape I want, so maybe I need to eat more Protein. I am definaltley getting enough sat fats, am only eating a piece of fruit a day of that and not really any carbs (apart from veggies) or sugar. hmmm maybe I am eating too much? I have kept track of cals before and been ok, but it's too much time to do it all the time and i have terrible memory. The fats definatley push up the calories but it does fill me up and I don't seem to gain weight from it just stuck at same weight now.

I walk alot (I have no car) and have just started back at crossfit once a week (probably need to sprint more, but I forget). I was thinking maybe it could be that I am not doing weights enough (it's very all over the place, just when I feel like it really). It's very fustrating because I have lost nearly 10lbs in the last few months but I don't see much change in body shape. It doesn't appear that I have lost muscle mass (according to my BF scales). It is especially fustrating because I have been this weight before but smaller frame and more toned when I first tried the Paleo diet as a challenge through my crossfit gym, of course circumstances where different then, I had more free time and crossfitted 3xpw.

It is definalty a lifestyle change and does take time before it is actaully a part of your life without even thinking about it too much. My hair, skin, mood and energy is definatley improved....just have to work on the body.

Anyways if I can just make the extra effort and fit it in to do more weights workouts and more sprinting plus the protein shake do you think it will help? It's hard to know what to prioritise first (not to mention family time....they don't do primal so I can do 'two birds with one stone' which is a shame)

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloPaleo View Post
    Don't know if anyone has pointed that out earlier, but do you get enough sleep working 70 hours and exercising as much as you do? That would get in the way of fat loss...
    Good point. I think the OP is:

Not sleeping enough.
    Producing too much cortisol from the job.
    Probably eating too many calories.

Do a rough calorie count, but you should plan to eat actual MEALS. Real ground beef, real chicken soup, real cooked vegetables, real coffee or tea. It's too easy to reach for the chocolate or the nuts, especially if you have a computer job. You many want to try one of the primal sub-diets like leptin reset or whole 30 or leangains, just to regiment the eating.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

fasterjohn14 is offline Junior Member
    Losing weight is depended on the person . Sometimes you can't deny the food because of the situations. Its better to keep up with food but with some proper guidance and limits also. And exercise is necessary thing.

www.fasterpt.com

cdmuscle is offline Junior Member
    There are definitely some great tips here for you. I just wanted to add my 2 cents... As a personal trainer and 48-year old woman who struggles with weight loss due to age and a slower metabolism, I can tell you two things, (1) your body will always fight to stay in homeostasis, with that being said, you need to change it up. My diet is always between 1200-1500 kcal per day (alternating high/low) then I take a day off everything to 'mess' up the system (especially if I hit a wall). This keeps the body off-balance so you never get used to a set amount of calories. Once your body has established balance, it will stay there. (2) Same goes for exercise. Do something totally different once in while that blasts your set point (quick bursts, sweating, out of breath for a few seconds, etc.) alternating with days off.

Then just pay attention to how your clothes fit and not the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat (think of sheets of metal) but will make you leaner looking (fat is like puffs of cotton).

A side note to something I read earlier in your journal - protein will NOT build muscle, exercise breaks down muscle and protein repairs and then 'over' repairs to prevent the breakdown from happening again (hypertrophy) - adding another layer per se. So protein is important but it will not build your base, it is simply a building energy source. Your best base energy sources are healthy fats and staying as close to foundational (close to nature) nutrition is a key.

Weight loss is a cumulative effect which progresses over weeks or months, so don't stress so much over what is happening today or tomorrow. There is an old saying in bodybuilding - "you will see effects of this week's diet two weeks from now."

Best of luck to you!
    ***Project Under Construction***

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567