Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthy carbs = fatburning beast? page

Comma is offline Senior Member

Healthy carbs = fatburning beast?

Shop Now
    I am trying to ease into Paleo with more carbs my second time around- no grains, but white rice, fruit and sweet and white potatoes. Unlike before, I don't seem to have depression very much, or at least nothing I couldn't attribute to work stress. I may not be eating enough because of stress, it does that to me. I'm 5'8'', 70 kg, low blood pressure.

I have no particular cravings or anything, energy is middeling, mood middleing, yesterday I went long without food by accident and didn't mind besides of beind weak when dinner finally came around. So yesterday I had coffee with cream, then maybe 1-2 oz left over chicken for lunch, maybe 5 oz grassy lamb, 1 sweet potato, fried mushrooms and tomato for dinner, and a cup of blueberries and raspberries with heavy cream and a sprinkle of almonds for dinner. Then I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep, so I had a cup of milk with a squirt of honey (throat hurt) and a vry small handful of sunflower seeds and 1 dried fig.

Going the middle of the road like this, do I still activate my fat-burning genes?

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    the nice thing about IF is, those worries kind of even out because of the caloric "elimination" for a calendar day, or so, JMHO.

So if I have carbs but then not have anything for breakfast the next day, it turns out low carb and the fat burning genes kick in? Great! I never feel like breakfast, besides of some cream in my coffee, so that's good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    So if I have carbs but then not have anything for breakfast the next day, it turns out low carb and the fat burning genes kick in? Great! I never feel like breakfast, besides of some cream in my coffee, so that's good news.
    Not necessarily, you still gotta move some . If you're still satiated, when waking, then you should be fine. Your body will use the food you ate last, as fuel. And if you still feel good, after "using those up," your body should move to using ketones. I don't know if people can tell when such a thing happens, in general. But, the way it works, for me, I feel groggy for a little, then all of the sudden I'm alright to carry on.. I don't know if it's using ketones at that point, but it feels like it.

Hm. Well, yesterday I was running around all day with a 2 and a 4 yo, not sure whether that puts me into 'moderately active?' Feels pretty active, but probably half of that is stress when things go awry with the kids (and they will). But I'm pretty sure I was running on something besides food for a good deal. Protein from my muscles? Fat? I am seriously so confused about this, and here I thought a fairly good grip on the logic behind this. Yikes.

I have been doing Paleo now for over a month, with a few days of SAD cheats somewhere in the middle. What do my genes think? Are they expressing fat-chomping enzymes? Or not? They do still do that when one's not in ketosis, right?

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    I would watch the IFing. Its typically hard for beginners to handle, and even for some people who have been doing primal for awhile. You can get symptoms of low blood sugar (irritability, moodiness, depression, fatigue, etc) pretty fast. So be aware. I know Mark has been doing posts on IF for awhile now, but that doesn't mean its for everyone or newbies, no offense.

I can remember several people reporting that with higher carbs (which is just fine, you don't have to be very low carb to be primal) you have to watch caloric intake more. Like with a food tracking tool (fit day), to see where you are at. You might need to *gasp* cut a little fat out to meet lower caloric needs, but experiment with it! I like higher carb primal much better, and I too get/got depressed with very low carb primal.

Good luck, mama! Remember to give yourself a break sometimes too. Everyone needs a treat now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by EvansMom View Post
    I would watch the IFing. Its typically hard for beginners to handle, and even for some people who have been doing primal for awhile. You can get symptoms of low blood sugar (irritability, moodiness, depression, fatigue, etc) pretty fast. So be aware. I know Mark has been doing posts on IF for awhile now, but that doesn't mean its for everyone or newbies, no offense.

I can remember several people reporting that with higher carbs (which is just fine, you don't have to be very low carb to be primal) you have to watch caloric intake more. Like with a food tracking tool (fit day), to see where you are at. You might need to *gasp* cut a little fat out to meet lower caloric needs, but experiment with it! I like higher carb primal much better, and I too get/got depressed with very low carb primal.

Good luck, mama! Remember to give yourself a break sometimes too. Everyone needs a treat now and again.
    I agree with watching IF; and treading carefully. I only began deliberately IF'ing, recently. I only tossed that idea out there, since she was concerned about her carbohydrate intake, in terms of grams. I typically eat half a cup of rice on certain days. But, since I also mix it up with no rice days, it kind of spaces out on its own.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I've had success this past winter cycling carb days and 100% carb free days. You could try that having a bit more carbs during the summer. Try it. You will notice a distinct difference once fall hits- absolutely essential to understanding primal.

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I've had success this past winter cycling carb days and 100% carb free days. You could try that having a bit more carbs during the summer. Try it. You will notice a distinct difference once fall hits- absolutely essential to understanding primal.
    Huh??? Since when????? Where in the PB book does Mark ever mention this as being essential to primal living?

PrimalCon New York
    I don't IF on purpose, it's usually because I get a horrible stress-email from work and don't feel like eating because of that. I'm a highly unresilient person, unfortunately, I wished there was a supplement for that. This morning I forced myself to eat some bacon, just to see if I would feel better with food in belly (no difference really, alas).

I think I will ditch all hope of losing weight for another month or so. It just gets so complicated when you don't do well on low carbs! I have had definitely fewer than 2000 cal/day over the last week, but haven't lost any weight. When I did low carb I lost a little every day but felt bad. I'm going defeatist, here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast