Thread: Rabbit fat bad? page

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member

Rabbit fat bad?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, I'm thinking about getting into breeding rabbits for me and my dogs. I've been watching YouTube videos and they all say to remove the little bit of fat from the carcass, because it's gross and not like other animal fat.

Is this just confused hear-say? Or does the fat really not taste good?

Anyone know?

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Rabbit is lovely....never skinned my own so don`t know what fat was left or not.
    All I know is it is VERY lean meat.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Poopers is offline Member
    I have made about 5 rabbits in my time.They are so lean you HAVE to cook them with some type of fat whether you like it or not (unless boiling). I liked to slowly fry them in a pan with olive oil and simple seasonings. Seriously tastes like chicken!

I dont know about the whole fat thing, I didnt butcher them... but Im sure your dogs would love the fat if you dont

True, I was just worried that it would make the rabbit taste bad. It's probably overblown, though. Most people on YouTube don't eat like I(or the people of this forum) do. haha

If it's gross, the dogs will love it. I feed them whole animals. Right now, I buy them frozen from a feeder company(for the dogs) - halfway across the country. It's bullcrap that California has no big feeder company. They'd make bank, but I'm thinking it has something to do with the cost and rules for that sort of thing in California, making it not worth it.

DavidR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    So, I'm thinking about getting into breeding rabbits for me and my dogs. I've been watching YouTube videos and they all say to remove the little bit of fat from the carcass, because it's gross and not like other animal fat.

Is this just confused hear-say? Or does the fat really not taste good?

Anyone know?
    Wild rabbit fat tastes aweful! There generally isn't much when dealing with wild rabbits as was my case. As teens my brother and I would hunt them and eat them. I do remember their fat being nasty tasting. If you trim the fat, the meat is delicious. There are other animals who have terrible tasting fat. I believe venison fat can have a terrible flavor too. Even wild pork (which is rather lean) can have some unsavory tasting fat.

Pen raised rabbits? I don't know, but sounds consistent.

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    I can't remember what the source was, but I remember hearing about pioneers dying of malnutrition because they were subsisting off of rabbit meat and didn't have enough saturated fat to absorb fat-soluble vitamins. Anyone have a link to this information? I know of several people involved in rabbit breading, but I can't imagine it's nearly as practical as raising other kinds of animals. The annoying thing is that so many people cite rabbit meat as among the healthiest of meats for the sole reason that it is lean.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    They're lean animals anyway, but trim the meat and slow cook it like chicken thigh. The fat is not nice. It really isn't ... I mean, I can eat all manner of fat, raw, off the meat, but rabbit is not nice. If you want fat in there, brown the meat off in some beef dripping, then slow cook.

The rabbit I buy is shot from that fellow down road, butchered and sold in that shop there. All, within a mile of my house. Damn it all, I even caught a rabbit bare handed once! No, really ... running along in my daft huaraches, broke into a field and the damn things scattered all around me. I scooped one up like rugby ball and was so surprised, I let the little fellow go!

Ok, so it DOES actually taste gross. I'm glad I got the info from primal peeps
    Thanks guys, I'll be sure to trim the fat off and substitute.

Catching a rabbit unexpectedly would be a surprise haha!