Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATTN: coffee enthusiasts/afficionados/snobs. page

tarek is offline Senior Member

ATTN: coffee enthusiasts/afficionados/snobs.

Shop Now
    So, I just went a little over month without coffee. I decided that the only coffee I'll be drinking from now on is what I make myself. That being said, I'd like to learn a bit more about making GOOD coffee!

There's a local place here that I just bought some whole bean coffee from -- they source their coffee from a single organic co-op in Guatemala that's shade grown at altitudes of 3,500 to 5,000 feet. I've read a bit of Dave Asprey's writings about mycotoxins in food, and I think this is the closest to mold-free I can get around here. So, I have some questions:

-Aside from a coffee grinder, are there any other good ways to grind coffee? I used a blender today, but I have a feeling that's not too optimal.

-What's the best way to store roasted coffee?

-What are some good resources for coffee info, science, etc.?

-What's the best coffee:water ratio? I used two tablespoons of coffee per 6 ounces of water today, but I'm sure there might be something better.

Discuss anything else coffee-related you'd like to.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    One easy answer: the best water to coffee ratio is whatever makes the appropriate strength coffee for what you like.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I still don't know, after slowly becoming a coffee snob over time. I know a co-worker of mine had suggested 1TBsp/every cup of coffee.. I pretty much stuck with that formula, even though my dad said that was too strong.

I liked talking to this one guy about coffee making, because he was one of the baristas there, before the shop eventually closed down . He mentioned getting a Bird (Berg?) grinder. He also mentioned; and I did purchase, a clever brew (a more thorough brewing method), but it does require precision, in that you weigh your ingredients. I've been slacking on my use of the clever brew, because I'm too lazy to get a food scale, but this may change. There are videos on youtube about using the clever brew.

When it comes to coffee storage, my sister (she being a former barista at Border's) advised me to stick it in the freezer. I've read otherwise, elsewhere. So, I'm agnostic about it, at this point.

autopilot is offline Junior Member
    I've used my magic bullet to grind beans. A lot less expensive than shelling out for a burr grinder.

I wouldn't store in the freezer. It affects the oils in the beans. Just a cool, dark place (e.g. a cupboard) is fine.

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    I like my over the cup cheapo cone to brew. No giant equipment (I have it all--espresso maker, coffee maker, french presses plus others) and it makes by far the best cup. Get a cone (Melita makes a plastic one for 3 bucks, or ceramic for sale at Starbucks, $12 or so) uses a number 2 filter, and put in two scoops of ground coffee, not too fine. Then pour the water over it, stir a bit, then watch your perfect cup drip out. We discovered this on vacation when we were dying to use some beans we bought. We ended up adopting it for our at home method.
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I would like to find a good burr grinder for making french press coffee. Does anyone have one of those hand crank grinders? I'm looking at getting one of those. Sorry, I have no knowledge to add, just using this thread as a convenient place to post my own question, heh.

DavidR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    He mentioned getting a Bird (Berg?) grinder.
    Burr grinder. It is the type of grinder. I do not own one, but I understand they are optimal for precise grinding and grinding coffee to a very fine size as for Turkish coffee.

The kind I have could not grind it fine enough for Turkish.

He also mentioned; and I did purchase, a clever brew (a more thorough brewing method), but it does require precision, in that you weigh your ingredients.
    Have you tried the french press? In my opinion it gives the best flavor. It doesn't filter out the natural oils in the bean. I only use a French Press for my coffee.

When it comes to coffee storage, my sister (she being a former barista at Border's) advised me to stick it in the freezer. I've read otherwise, elsewhere. So, I'm agnostic about it, at this point.
    I used to freeze my beans (advised other too), but noticed after a while they didn't taste the same. The reason is the frigid temperatures breaks down the oils and changes the taste of the beans. After doing some research, the optimal is "A cool dry place!" Whole beans will stay fresher longer than ground.

I grind my beans as I need them. Otherwise they are stored in air tight containers in the pantry. The taste is consistent over time. I generally purchase about a 3 months supply at a time. Mind you, I buy Eight O Clock brand coffee from the grocery store. So I catch the BOGO sales and stock up until their next sale.

L8F
    I have a good burr grinder, but think it is discontinued (kitchen aid) But what I have found is that buying coffee at Peets (used to) that when they grind it in their uber expensive burr grinder that somehow it always tasted better...I think theirs cost the price of a small car. Oh well. Have never used the hand grinder types.

L8F
    There is some info floating around here somewhere that unfiltered (french press) coffee has a component that raises LDL...not sure where that came from...

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    One easy answer: the best water to coffee ratio is whatever makes the appropriate strength coffee for what you like.
    I guess I'll have to do some experimenting then! I like my coffee STRONG. I'll try using a little next water next time, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    I've used my magic bullet to grind beans. A lot less expensive than shelling out for a burr grinder.

I wouldn't store in the freezer. It affects the oils in the beans. Just a cool, dark place (e.g. a cupboard) is fine.
    How finely does the magic bullet grind coffee? My blender created some very finely-ground bits and some pretty large chunks. I've read that this leads to the larger bits being "under-extracted." I've also read that blade-grinding coffee negatively impacts the taste. I did notice that this coffee tasted slightly different than it does in-shop, but that could be due to how I brewed it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast