Page 1 of 542 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page

tomi is offline Senior Member

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Shop Now
    March 28, 2012

Hi - My name is Tomi, and I live in the beautiful Pacific NW. I'm 51, female, married with one grown son. I started my primal journey on October 25, 2011. I was looking for 2 things - a way to treat my fibromyalgia without drugs, and a way to lose weight. I started at 215 pounds - I'm 5'3", so thats a bit on the chunko-fat side of things. I had always been able to maintain my weight at about 140 with a SAD, until 2001 when my life took a major turn. First I went through a painful divorce, then I developed fibromyalgia, and everything changed. I started gaining weight at the rate of about 2 pounds a month. It didn't take long to gain up to 215, and I stayed there for about 7 years. Then I went on one of those soy based meal replacement programs and I lost 50 pounds - went off of it and promptly gained it all back again. UGH!

Anyway - that leads me to now and the Primal Lifestyle. I've been visiting MDA regularly, mostly daily - and have made a few posts here and there - but I think it might be time for me to do my own journal - if not only for my own benefit of tracking my journey, then perhaps what I'm experiencing can help someone else on their way. Especially others with fibromyalgia. If I can do anything at all I want to spread the word that eating this way will greatly improve your quality of life! Even if its not fibromyalgia, I believe eating primal has the potential of healing almost anything that is related to inflamation.

For the past 5 months I've been trying to adhere to a balance of the micronutrients with 20% carbs, 30% protein and 50% fat. Someplace in the beginning of my journey I read that this should be a good balance - and so I tried. But, in those 5 months I only lost 10 pounds. However - my fibromyalgia symptoms have nearly disappeared! I'm more active than I've been in 10 years! I walk or bike on a regular basis and my husband and I are starting to hike on the weekends. I love eating this way and will never go back to the SAD. Thats not to say that I haven't had my cheat here and there. When we vacation I will endulge and eat cookies or ice cream, but that is rare. I also have alcohol too often and am cutting that out.

A couple days ago I ran across a post by Pebbles67 (I hope thats right) and she said she has been very successful with a 100-100-100 gram balance. Since my 20-30-50 % wasn't working I thought I'd try it out. I'm only on day 2 of the trial, but I like it so far. The difference is I'm doing a 3x80 appoach. I've stopped having my beloved bacon and eggs breakfast and switched to yogurt and fruit instead. That free's up a LOT of fat for the rest of the day! I've always struggled to get in enough protein and keep the fat in check - and I do believe this will work!

Please feel free to leave a post - we're all in this together! I'll be posting my progress every couple weeks. If there is anyone out there who wants to talk with me about the fibromyalgia side of life I'd love to have the opportunity to do that!

Have a great day! Spring is coming! Get out there and enjoy it!
    Tomi

March 29, 2012

We went on vacation last week up into the beautiful Olympic Pennisula of Washington State. We took our 5th wheel and spent a wonderful 8 days of relaxing, hiking short trails around Port Ludlow, and biking down to the marina, and back UP to the campground. The landscape up there is breathtaking! We'll be going back for sure.

Its always scarey to think about how to vacation and stay primal - or even sensible - where food is concerned. But, we cooked all our own meals and ate quite well! bacon and eggs for breakfasts, then some kind of meat or fish and veggies for dinner. My husband is an excellent cook so what he cooks is often better than most restaraunts. The bad part was the rum and diet coke - and the peanut butter cookies and m&m's!!!! I was on vacation - so I relaxed a bit - and I indulged a bit. I came home 3 pounds heavier than when I left. But......... we've been home for 4 days now, and those 3 pounds are all gone. So, must have been just water weight from the rum. We did a fair amount of hiking and biking so I guess I burned off most of the cookie and candy calories. I'm feeling good about it all!

A few days ago I started the 3 x 80 grams strategy. It is going really good. Before I was having a really hard time getting everything to work out - too much fat and too little protein everyday. But, changing up some things - like no bacon and eggs for breakfast is making a big difference on how I end the day with numbers all falling pretty close to where I want them. I'm wondering is this also is contributing the scale dropping. I've also increased my total calories from a goal of 1000 per day to 1360 per day. I'm committed to doing this for a month and then I'll decide if something needs to be tweaked a bit more.

A couple weeks ago the doctor put me back on statins - after a 2 month hiatis to see if eating primal would drop my cholesterol numbers. Unfortunately it didn't work as planned. So, due to high cholesterol and an elevated CRP she said I need to go back on the statins at least until I lose weight and get my CRP down in the safe range. But the statins are causing some major aches and pains! So, I sent my doc an email and told her I'm going off of them. Not sure what she'll say - but I'm sure she won't be happy about it. If they are causing that much pain they can't be good for me - the cholesterol will have to lower at a slower rate with diet and exercise. No statin last night - and no pain today. Seems to be a direct correlation.

The forum at Marks Daily Apple is certainly filled with some great people - but wow, what a range of personalities and opinions! I'm sometimes shocked at how outraged some people get when a differing opinion is posted. Think how boring the world would be if we all had the same thoughts and opinions about every single subject that was brought up. There would be no discussion, no expanding of minds, no "ah-ha" moments when a knew way of looking at the world comes to light. I want to calms the tensions that sometimes build - but that isn't always possible. Some people just like to be obstinent and abrasive. Be kind - give people room to have their own opinions!

Anyway - those are my thoughts for the day. Its raining in the Pacific NW today.......... I could use a little sunshine!

March 30, 2012 - what a strange time of life this is. I'm 51 years old and I thought this time of life would be filled with so much freedom for my husband and I - I mean the kids are grown and we're pretty much empty nesters - except for the scraggler trying to pay off his student loans before moving out. But here we are - thinking life is going to be all fun and games and then the parents start aging and needing time and attention and help that I never even thought about. My mom is 86 years old. And with the exception of losing her eyesight due to macular degeneration she is the picture of health. She still has her own little appartment and does everything for herself - unless it takes reading, writing, driving or shopping. Thats where I come in. Its not that much or that often, but I'm still not used to having to care for my mom - it just feels weird. Makes me look at my own future and wonder whats to come.

I do plan an being healthy - hence my choice to follow a primal way of eating, and I'm trying to adopt the rest of the lifestyle as well. I'm trying to work my exercises around play, moving slowly for long periods, and LHTs. Its the body weight exercises that I'm struggling with incorporating. I can't get excited about doing pushups or pullups of any kind! I want to start doing lunges, and I'm going to start as soon as I finish writing this. So ---- here I go!

April 2, 2012 I stepped on the scales today - although not my official "weigh day" and I've lost 5 pounds since changing my strategy to the 3 x 80 balance. Can't say there isn't something to this! YEAH!

The weather sucked all weekend, but we managed to get out on Saturday for a 4.5 mile bike ride. Its a beautiful morning today and as soon as I finish this I'm going to get out the bike and head out! I have a new route I want to try but I'd rather go with the hubby. Biking alone is fun, but is more like a fun chore. Biking with my husband is simply fun. I haven't walked in a while and maybe I'll just do that. I won't know until I'm putting on my shoes...........

I'm trying to be better at moving more like Mark says. You know - the 5 basic movements thing. Yesterday I lifted heavy things - via the bowflex. I'm trying to add in squats and lunges. I don't find much joy in doing those things so its really hard to make myself do them! Move slow and often......... have to think more on that one.

The weight loss this past week has me tickled! Thats a big jump for me!

March 5, 2012 ----- When will I learn to STOP stepping on those damn scales everyday? I know weight naturally fluctuates depending on homones, and salts and water and which way the wind is blowing today! Yesterday I was so excited to see a new number on the scale! 187! YEAH! today.......... 190. WHAT? I thought I ate good yesterday - but maybe the Chicken Tikka with the yummy sauce was a bit on the salty side? It tasted wonderful! I'm hoping its just that - cuz I have been very strict on whats going in my mouth. I'm sure its just water weight.

The Naan bread was the killer............. sent me into some major fibromyalgia pain just an hour after I ate - and I only had half a piece. I haven't eated bread since October 2011. But, Naan is different than ordinary bread! Naan is like manna from heaven! We've been out for Indian many times since I started primal and I've always let the Naan pass by without being too terribly tempted. Last night - I just couldn't resist. And I paid for it. Lesson learned. My legs are still aching, 12 hours after eating it. No more Naan for me..........

The weather is getting better and we are starting to get little hints that spring really is going to come this year. I have tulips and daffodiles and blue grape hyacinths blooming in my yard! I'm about to go outside and start some spring clean up! We always leave the leaves on the ground - in the flowerbeds - to breakdown and nourish the soil over the winter - then in the spring - whats left gets taken to the compost. Its time to start cleaning up We have hired a guy to do it in the past but this year I want to do it. I'm feeling good! Wonder how much I can get done before the next rain shower moves in.

Best get to it!
    Last edited by tomi; 04-05-2012 at 10:17 AM.

So, today I posted a challenge on the she-groks thread - 2 full weeks of no cheats! I'm really just doing it for myself - but if I can motivate some other women to NOT cheat then thats an added bonus. I haven't stepped on the scale since my last journal entry. Tomorrow - the 11th is my weigh day........... and the start of the challenge. So, by the time the 2 weeks is over and I step on the scale again - I SHOULD see a drop. Hopefully. I haven't walked or biked in a week. I just haven't felt strong enough for several days. I need to go for just a short walk or ride - I know I will feel better. Dennis only goes cuz I guilt him into it - so I'm pretty much on my own. I've been out of dark chocolate for about a week too - so I'm craving, but not cheating. The only chocolate we have in the house is Nestles or some hersheys ice cream topping. No thanks. That stuff barely tastes like chocolate.

Overall I feel like I'm eating healthy. The rum in the one thing that has to go. I feel like crap for 3 days after I have any. Its just not worth it.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    . So, by the time the 2 weeks is over and I step on the scale again - I SHOULD see a drop. Hopefully.
    I much perfer- By the time 2 weeks are over, my no cheating, will help me get over the need/want for those things. It will also show me I can successfully make choices that are healthy. If the scale moves, it moves and I'll enjoy/appreciate the perk. If it doesn't move I still didn't cheat and THAT was my CONTROLLABLE goal and I was successful.

"Shoulds" can have a tendencies to negatively impact self esteem.. Especially when fixed to things not within ones control-- such as the number on the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I much perfer- By the time 2 weeks are over, my no cheating, will help me get over the need/want for those things. It will also show me I can successfully make choices that are healthy. If the scale moves, it moves and I'll enjoy/appreciate the perk. If it doesn't move I still didn't cheat and THAT was my CONTROLLABLE goal and I was successful.

"Shoulds" can have a tendencies to negatively impact self esteem.. Especially when fixed to things not within ones control-- such as the number on the scale.
    Good point! Thanks for the wise words! You're the first to comment on my journal! Its sorta fun knowing someone is reading it.

Good luck staying the course! Every obsticle overcome is a success!

Okay --- day one of the 2 week challenge. I had a little flour today in the lumpia wrappers. Its okay though, it was just a very small amount.

weight - 189 today. 49 pounds to go. I've decided I'm not going to have any rum until I get down to 170. Thats a good reward for losing that much. I'm hoping if I go that long without having any I'll just lose my taste for it. It will be good for the system to go without for a long time. Nasty stuff anyway. I can think of better things to reward myself with.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Good point! Thanks for the wise words! You're the first to comment on my journal! Its sorta fun knowing someone is reading it.

Good luck staying the course! Every obsticle overcome is a success!
    I like "firsts". I enjoy reading people's stories, especially when things hit home.. With you it's the fibromyalgia, as I was diagnosed years ago. Mine was under-treated thyroid disease and resolved with optimal treatment.

Also, I live in the Pacific NW too.

Page 1 of 542 1231151101501 ... LastLast