Page 93 of 523 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page 93

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    I know it will vary by location, but what are the price per lb for chicken breasts at your Costco? I'm trying to decide if I want to get a membership there instead of BJ's when our BJ's membership is up next month. Chicken breasts are usually $2.49/lb at BJ's, but I've started going to the regular grocery store most of the time for those because they'll often mark down to $1.99/lb or $.99/lb for chicken thighs. Not good quality, though.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

tomi is online now Senior Member
    A 10 pound bag of frozen Foster Farms breasts is $24.99 -- so $2.49 a pound. I don't like thigh meat - but we buy it when we make curry cuz it soaks up the flavors of the curry better than breast meat. We don't buy everything at costco cuz some things you can find cheaper at other stores. But we always buy the chicken breasts there. We like to buy in bulk on things like meats, toilet papers and paper towels. Last time I was there I bought a jar of Maranatha Almond Butter - I'm thinking it was around $10 -- a smaller jar at Fred Meyers is $11.49. It lasts a long time when I'm only munching a TB or 2 per day.

We buy 1/2 grass-fed beef every year........ I just picked it up from the butcher Monday so my freezer is stocked for the year! I would LOVE to find a source for free range chicken and buy about 10 of them!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Thursday is MIL's 89th birthday - I've been asked to bring a cake.......... grrr! Boxed mix with store bought frosting - blah! I'd attempt to make it primal, but I don't think it would be readily accepted. I'm the only one in the family eating this way -- well, my son and I. Out of 28 people I think that makes us the minority!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Awesome, sounds like Costco's prices are comparable. I buy in bulk whenever possible too. I think we've saved a ton of money on paper products (toilet & towels) this year by doing that! Nice to hear they have stuff like almond butter too, BJ's doesn't have that. I'm jealous of your freezer space! I'd love to have a freezer chest in the basement someday so we can got part of a cow/pig/whatever.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Thursday is MIL's 89th birthday - I've been asked to bring a cake.......... grrr! Boxed mix with store bought frosting - blah! I'd attempt to make it primal, but I don't think it would be readily accepted. I'm the only one in the family eating this way -- well, my son and I. Out of 28 people I think that makes us the minority!
    Make a few primal cupcakes for you and your son to have while everyone else eats cake.
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Here's my take on whats working:
    1. No alcohol - no sugars - no grains
    2. walking 3-5 hours a week
    3. keeping calories around 1200 with high fat, moderate protein and VLC.
    4. getting my Thyroid function up to slightly over compensated levels.
    I like your goals but worry about #4. Here are my concerns:
    1. What does slightly overcompensated mean?
    2. Symptoms can lag behind optimal numbers by a few months.
    3. Being hyper can have negative ramifications.
    4. Some people will gain weight when they are "overcompensated"/hyper.
    5. Some people will mistake hyper symptoms for needing more meds/still being hypo, based on symptoms.

I will now put my worrywart self back in check.

just got back from costco---- they've dropped the price of the chicken to $21.49 for a 10 pound bag! and the almond butter was only $6.79 for a 26 oz jar!!! At Fred Meyers it was $11.49 for a smaller - maybe 16 oz jar, maybe 20. But sheeesh! I got 4 jars of it! Thats an excellent price for almond butter! yummy - can't wait to have some this evening.

but right now --- time to go for my walk ............ before it starts to get dark!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

Quote Originally Posted by Pedidoc View Post
    Make a few primal cupcakes for you and your son to have while everyone else eats cake.
    Nah........... we'll just do without. I don't mind at all not having cake - it isn't something that makes me feel deprived if I don't have it. As for son......... he's 26 and can fend for himself!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I like your goals but worry about #4. Here are my concerns:
    1. What does slightly overcompensated mean?
    2. Symptoms can lag behind optimal numbers by a few months.
    3. Being hyper can have negative ramifications.
    4. Some people will gain weight when they are "overcompensated"/hyper.
    5. Some people will mistake hyper symptoms for needing more meds/still being hypo, based on symptoms.

I will now put my worrywart self back in check.
    well, doc said my numbers were "slightly" over the norm. You know the number the lab says is within limits. She said as long as feel good then we'll leave it there. Thyroid is one of those things that is a bit ify based on each persons make up. Apparently I need to be at the high or just barely over the "acceptable" range. I'm doing great - losing weight - have lots of energy and my mood is wonderful. I go back in 5 months for another check - we'll see what happens by then. Also, I have an appt at the end of this month for my "well woman exam" so I will tell her if things start to go sideways...

Thanks for the concern! Pipe in more often............ I never know if you're hanging around or not!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

so - I only walked 35 minutes tonight. I've switched from my Merrells which are hiking shoes, but extremely comfortable for walking in - to my Saucony which are actually more cross trainers....... but aren't as comfortable. And its making my knees hurt. I was wearing down the soul on my hikers too fast so hubby said to switch shoes. I might switch back and just buy a new pair of Merrells next spring for hiking cuz they are way more comfortable for street walking. I wonder if they make a cross trainer? I need to check into that. They are the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn! They feel like slippers!

Anyway - so now my knees are hurting. Bummer. We're headed out to watch a high school football game. The son of good friends of ours. I took some ibuprofen so I hope that takes care of it.

Better go get ready........
    Last edited by tomi; 10-10-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling errors!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals: