Page 60 of 550 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page 60

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Tomi, dropped in and read your journal - boy am I boring compared to everyone else! Love your lawn art, envious of the water. I've been off my excercise schedule for about 3 weeks now due to the west Nile fatigue, maybe I need you to kick my butt out the door! Funny how our lives parallel - same age, same ht, almost same starting weight, I'm a wine person - you were rum, history of alcoholism in my family, I'm stalled in the 160s - I just can't get out of them (up, down, again and again, ad nauseum). And the parent thing, as well as one hanger on son are the same. DH and I made a point of getting away for at least a weekend away from the kids every year so we would know each other during this time of our lives. Unfortunately with everything we are juggling, I feel further apart than we have ever been. Any way I will be keeping up with your journal now - added it to my subscribed threads.
    Last edited by Pedidoc; 08-16-2012 at 08:50 AM.
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I like your yard ornaments. Those would be neat to see twinkling over the bushes at night.
    Thanks They are really pretty at night. I've tried to take pictures at night to show how they glow - but I haven't been able to get a really good one yet. If the economy ever picks up again I'll go back to selling them at saturday markets and garden shows. But I think I'll be using cedar wood this time. People seem to shy away from "re-claimed" wood - like they think its gonna rot away in a week or something.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Hey, just stopping in. Well done you on trying to kick the habit. You can do it!!

Richard
    thanks for the encouragement, Richard! I hate to say its a "habit" cuz that puts me into a dangerous catagory --- but in all honestly, if its in my house I will indulge. I guess I just need to admit I can't handle having it around anymore. I started drinking rum and diet coke about 10 years ago and realized the benefits of being able to sleep through the night, and the numbing qualities it had over my fibromyalgia pain. I never drank enough to be really hung over, but still enough to feel that blah in the morning. For many years I drank one or 2 every night just so I could sleep and feel no pain. About 5 years ago I stopped using it for those reasons, and would just have it on the weekends. I've realized I'm drinking for no reason at all other than to enjoy the taste and the buzz. So, that tells me its time to give it up all together!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedidoc View Post
    Hey Tomi, Funny how our lives parallel - same age, same ht, almost same starting weight, I'm a wine person - you were rum, history of alcoholism in my family, I'm stalled in the 160s - I just can't get out of them (up, down, again and again, ad nauseum). And the parent thing, as well as one hanger on son are the same. .
    Pedidoc! Welcome to my world! Life isn't easy when you're life keeps you from really living! Sometimes we have to make sacrifices and changes in order to protect the things are most important. I have no idea what your situation is on the homefront, but I know your work is mostly travel and you're life runs on FAST FORWARD! At least thats my impression from readying your journals. Have you considered making some changes in your career so you are not traveling as much - or at all? My best friend and her husband had to live in different cities for 3 years because of job issues. They would see each other only on the weekends, and sometimes only once a month since travel meant crossing a mountain range, and winter travel was not always safe. They said ENOUGH - and made a drastic change - they both took teaching jobs at an international school in S. Korea so they would living under the same roof again. Its the best thing they could have done for their marriage! Their youngest is just 18, and recently moved out on his own. It was hard to leave the kids, and their extended families and friends - but they made the sacrifice for the sake of their marriage. I'm just wondering if you have considered making changes for the sake of your marriage?

As far as kids go....... a year of seeing a good marriage counselor was the only thing that saved us from breaking up due to his lack of parenting skills. He wanted to be sure they didn't run off to live with mommy so he set no boundaries for them! They didn't do anything bad or get into trouble - but they thought they ruled the house - and they definitely ruled daddy! Once they figured out they don't rule anymore - they did just what he thought they would - they moved to mommys house......... at the ages of 22 and 19! It was about damn time! Our house has never been as peaceful and filled with love as it is now that they don't live here anymore! Sometimes it takes drastic measures to set things straight - and to center your focus back on what really matters.

Sorry for the long lecture............ it was on my heart - so it came out through my fingers!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Hi tomi, just stopped in here, I realized have never read your journal. Lots of interesting stuff! I love your sig line - I am going to put that on my refrigerator.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    thanks for the encouragement, Richard! I hate to say its a "habit" cuz that puts me into a dangerous catagory --- but in all honestly, if its in my house I will indulge. I guess I just need to admit I can't handle having it around anymore. I started drinking rum and diet coke about 10 years ago and realized the benefits of being able to sleep through the night, and the numbing qualities it had over my fibromyalgia pain. I never drank enough to be really hung over, but still enough to feel that blah in the morning. For many years I drank one or 2 every night just so I could sleep and feel no pain. About 5 years ago I stopped using it for those reasons, and would just have it on the weekends. I've realized I'm drinking for no reason at all other than to enjoy the taste and the buzz. So, that tells me its time to give it up all together!
    Tomi, I apologise. I maybe shouldnt have used the word 'Habit.' Although I try to radiate positivity I ahve also watched people I care about call it a Habit (when addicitve personalitys ran in the family) and have seen them slip from people who inspired, to those that existed. I cant imagine the discomfort/pain you have lived with, and had I experienced it myself I may have done exactly the same if not worse. There but for the grace of god go I, as they say. Getting up looking at yourself everymorning and laughing at the very notion that your demons (Im not trying to insinuate YOU have demons, I meant in gerenal) will get the better of you each day is an empowering thing.

I will read on daily and continue to be inspired.

Richard

(sorry for poor spelling I am from Scotland - I have decided to blame my bad spelling on this).
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Pedidoc! Welcome to my world! Life isn't easy when you're life keeps you from really living! Sometimes we have to make sacrifices and changes in order to protect the things are most important. I have no idea what your situation is on the homefront, but I know your work is mostly travel and you're life runs on FAST FORWARD! At least thats my impression from readying your journals. Have you considered making some changes in your career so you are not traveling as much - or at all?

Sorry for the long lecture............ it was on my heart - so it came out through my fingers!
    Don't be sorry, it's so true! I've applied to a local university for a faculty position. I hope to hear something by September (most faculty are 9 month appointments and the "search committee" doesn't report back to work until the end of August). Keeping all my fingers/toes crossed. The position wouldn't start until January, so some travel this fall. About 10 days end of August, 5 days in September, a week in October, NONE in November , and about 10 days in December. So while it seems like a lot, it's really less than I've been doing. I want to stay home more and travel because I want to, not because I've got to!
    Female 53

Richard --- I totally agree its a slippery slope between "indulging" - "over-indulging" - and "abusing". I would say when the rum is in my home I tend to "abuse". I think the years of drinking for the pain relief and sleep inducing benefits have caused a pattern to develope. Its weird, cuz if I don't have any rum in the house - I don't really even think about it - but if its here - I'm wanting to drink it. I guess that means I should NOT have it in the house. Since changing my diet to primal standards -- I rarely have fibro pain (as long as I stay the course!) --- and I've found a great sleep aid - Schiff makes a pill called "Knock Out" - its Melatonin 3 mg and 2 other things. It works really good as long as I take it about 45 minutes before I plan to go to bed -- and as long as nothing wakes me up within an hour of going to sleep. So, there is really no reason for me to drink anymore - other than the taste and the relaxation it offers.

Pedidoc --- I do remember you mentioning a possible job change that would keep you local! Wouldn't that be awesome! I really hope you get the position and things will start to ease up in your busy life. When was the last time you and hubby got away together for some fun and relaxation?

Okay......... I'm patting myself on the back -- I went grocery shopping today for the family bbq this weekend - and because my stash of egg and veggies is running low. I wasn't even tempted to buy any dark chocolate or almonds! I bought a plantain - cuz I've been wanting to try fried plantain for eons! I got zucchini and yellow squash, brocolli and cauliflower, green, red and yellow peppers and sweet potatoes -- all for roasting for the bbq -- but I might need to try it out first (never roasted veggies before). I also bought chicken breasts, two whole chickens and alaska salmon. I also bought some condiments - mayo, ketchup, mustard, sarachi sauce (sp?), and some salad dressing. Thats where my 20% goes......... condiments. The only "bad" thing I bought after going to 3 stores was 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk so I could make my hubby a pot of chai (yes, I make real authentic Indian Chai) So anyway - I'm feeling pretty good about things. I have my "mantra" taped to my computer - and on my fridge and I'm keeping my focus on the reaching my goal.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Pedidoc --- I do remember you mentioning a possible job change that would keep you local! Wouldn't that be awesome! I really hope you get the position and things will start to ease up in your busy life. When was the last time you and hubby got away together for some fun and relaxation?)
    We got away together for a week this spring, but it was at my national conference. We will get away for a day and 1/2 this September. It's about an hour from us and I've got a 1/2 day conference, but we will have the day before and the afternoon of the second day. Maybe I will plan something for our 29th wedding anniversary in November, after all I'm not traveling that month!
    Female 53

I'm back to 189! hopefully this is a pattern forming. I've done really good this week! I started walking again, and I'm really being careful what I eat ---- cuz I keep asking myself, "Will eating this help me reach my goal?" Its working.

I've been up since 6 - by 9 am I had done 2 loads of laundry, mowed the yard, changed the bed sheets, watered the patio plants, set the sprinkler in the yard, gone for a mile walk, showered - and drove 15 miles to my moms house. PHEW!

Mom and I got her banking and shopping done. And I paid a few bills for her. Now I'm back home and I have a table full of bills to pay and deposit to make for the boatshop - I need to make potato salad and beef/bacon/bean casserole, got get some cleaning supplies so I can clean the house, and bath the dog......... hubby is bringing home take-out tonight.

Say a prayer for me..........
    Last edited by tomi; 08-20-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation