Page 54 of 581 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154554 ... LastLast

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page 54

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You are wise to stay up and let all the worries out to your journal, instead of lying in bed, mulling them over. Hope you fell straight to sleep when you went back.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    don't sweat falling off the wagon already. Birthdays are special. Hubby has a birthday coming up. I know he's asked his mom to bake a cake. I'll pass on any of it.

I have found that while Primal is good and all, I like W30 better b/c it's stricter. It's got special rules and I do well with structured rules. Having that 20% allowance causes me to go overboard. Kind of like, give me an inch and I'll take a mile kind of thing.

Hope your stresses are relieved and you feel better today.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I slept very soundly - and until 10:30! So a good 7 1/2 hours. I'm feeling more rested today than I have in a while.

GREAT friday success story today! I plan on being a success story someday - probably will not submit my story - but I will be one nonetheless!

Weight - back down to 189.4 YEAH! I've stopped eating bacon and eggs.......... I think it was just TOO much fat for my system. I know this WOE is all about eating lots of healthy fats --- but even mark says if you're trying to lose weight cutting out bacon is a good idea. I've been eating healthy fish or chicken for breakfast. This morning I fried salmon in butter -- YUMMO! My system has always hoarded every fat gram I've given it so I think I need to lessen the fat and increase the lean protein. My carbs are always under 100 - and normally under 50. So, more lean protein, and easy on the fat. I'll still cook with butter and olive oil --- but the bacon is going to have to wait until I get this weight off. I've successfully cut out the dark chocolate and the almonds as a daily indulgence. I have some of both on the boat - but we only go to the boat about twice a month - so I think having those treats there is safe --- they are healthy snacks - but high in calories and especially FAT. Lean meats, veggies, a little fruit............ thats my strategy. If I decide to do the wholeX thing --- I will probably not do the entire 30 days.

Okay......... let me analyze this a bit deeper. What do I eat that is NOT primal? the occasional cookie --- maybe once a month? The occasional ice cream --- again, maybe once a month. Rum and diet coke -- thats definitely not primal -- and I could do with LESS of it! The salad dressing isn't primal. or the ketchup. I have those maybe once or twice a week. I would have to say thats everything. So what do you think?? In the big picture that would probably put my ratio at about 95/5. I'd say I'm doing pretty good if thats truly the case. So maybe I should stop stressing over being MORE compliant. I'm doing really good and have greatly improved my diet over the past 9 months. We used to eat pasta or rice at nearly every dinner! breakfast was toast or oatmeal, lunch was a sandwich. I could go through a jar of peanut butter in a week! I'd say I've made some pretty good changes. No, I'm not perfect and will never be 100%. Life is too short to shy away from ketchup because it has sugar in it - or honey mustard dressing because its made with questionable oils.

Jenn - I have to agree with you on needing the structure and strictness of whole30. I think I fall somewhere in between the 80/20 and the whole30 mentality. The first is too lax and the second is too harsh! I really want to do the whole30 because I know it would help me lose - and get me used to staying away from some things are just not healthy for me ---- BUT, I don't know if I can actually stay committed to it 100%. A couple weeks ago I had said that I'm going to just do a paleo approach --- a bit stricter than primal, but not as hard core as whole30. I think thats probably going to be my safest approach to this. I'll stay with what I'm doing and see how things go with a bit less fat.

I also think the Armour is starting to do its job. I was back up to 194 a couple weeks back - and I'm under 190 today so its got to be that little pill -- cuz I'm not eating less calories or moving more.

Speaking of moving............ I'd better get to my day. I need to do a business deposit and go shopping for that darn casserole. And I won't be having any........... sad day.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

idk, I like the strictness, and actually I haven't found any difference between W30 and straight up Paleo - what difference do you see? Maybe I'm missing something...

I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I'm going to allow some freedoms this weekend (cream cheese pancakes, whipped cream, etc) this weekend and then go back to the Whole30 guidelines on Monday. I need to rigidity or I get out of hand with the sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    idk, I like the strictness, and actually I haven't found any difference between W30 and straight up Paleo - what difference do you see? Maybe I'm missing something...

I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I'm going to allow some freedoms this weekend (cream cheese pancakes, whipped cream, etc) this weekend and then go back to the Whole30 guidelines on Monday. I need to rigidity or I get out of hand with the sugar.
    Paleo and whole30 are pretty much the same --- primal is more forgiving. Maybe the only differnce in paleo and whole30 is the dairy thing. doesn't paleo allow for dairy in its most natural state? and I think real butter is allowed. That would be the only difference I can see. Thats partly why whole30 is just too dang strict for me --- ghee or clarified butter is absolutely the best way to go - but, come on........... is there really enough bad stuff in the butter to hurt anything? And is a couple TBs of bottled dressing or ketchup once or twice a week going to be a deal breaker? I'm thinking not........ thats what I'm talking about.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Sunday midafternoon - home from the family reunion in Roy, Washington. What a great family on MIL's side! MIL wanted to go to see all her siblings and their children. The thing is - she is about 70% deaf, even with her hearing aids on, and she has both glaucoma and macular degenation - so, she sorta just sat all afternoon and tried to see and hear what was happening around her. People would come to visit with her, but she was just so confused it was hard to have a conversation with her. I sat near her most of the day to make sure she was okay. She's a wonderful woman and I cherish her! I fear this will be her last family reunion, so I'm so glad we were able to take her. We stayed the night at the LaQuinta Inn and she had a king sized bed -- she felt guilty for having such a big bed all to herself! it was adorable. I imagine she will be spending the rest of the day sleeping in her chair, and will likely go to bed very early this evening.

Foodwise, things were a big difficult at the reunion. The only meat was bbq'd pork skewers that were loaded with bbq sauce. They were good, but too fatty, and slightly undercooked. So I almost gagged with every bite! There was a cold green bean salad and some potato salad that I felt were acceptable. And I ate a bit of the beef/bacon/bean casserole that I made. Because of the lack of primal friendly foods I just gave up and ate apple pie and a couple cookies. Then, at the hotel in the evening we just ate left overs instead of going for dinner so I ate more of the bean casserole. I guess if I have to defend myself I would have to say that there is far more beef and bacon than beans in the casserole............ so, it wasn't ideal --- but I could have done much worse!!! Breakfast was free at the hotel and I ate a huge scoop of (probably powdered) scrambled eggs and a glass of orange juice.

Sometimes you just have to do the best you can. I could have gone for the belgian waffle or all the muffins or bagels that were stacked high! So I feel I made good choices considering my options. Not counting the dessert choices that is....... I definitely could have kept those out of my mouth! But -- I did go for the APPLE pie instead of the tirimisu (sp??) A little flour, sugar and lard in there............. but, apples have to give some good points.

So -- will be anxious to see what the scales say in the morning.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Paleo and whole30 are pretty much the same --- primal is more forgiving. Maybe the only differnce in paleo and whole30 is the dairy thing. doesn't paleo allow for dairy in its most natural state? and I think real butter is allowed. That would be the only difference I can see. Thats partly why whole30 is just too dang strict for me --- ghee or clarified butter is absolutely the best way to go - but, come on........... is there really enough bad stuff in the butter to hurt anything? And is a couple TBs of bottled dressing or ketchup once or twice a week going to be a deal breaker? I'm thinking not........ thats what I'm talking about.
    I think you have to look at the Whole30 as a cleanse or a detox. You take out all the 'bad' things to cleanse your body and afterwards you can re-introduce some of the things (if you don't react to them).
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

The point behind no butter is the proteins in milk. They say no milk b/c of the proteins and no butter because it contains the same proteins that can be offensive to some people. And it's only for 30 days... then you can reintroduce and determine whether or not you experience issues with milk proteins or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy in Wonderland View Post
    I think you have to look at the Whole30 as a cleanse or a detox. You take out all the 'bad' things to cleanse your body and afterwards you can re-introduce some of the things (if you don't react to them).
    Exactly! I am using it over and over and over again to eliminate my sugar cravings (hasn't occurred yet b/c I keep eating sugar of some form) and for the rapid weight loss. I've lost 10 lbs each time!

I keep wanting to dive in and do a whole30 -- but then I change my mind and decide to be just strict paleo instead. I think thats where I'll stay. Strict paleo, but I'm not going to say I'm going to do it for X number of days - cuz that just sets me up for a fail. I am going to make a commitment of some sort though. August 18 we're having a family gathering at our house - since I will be pretty much in control of the menu it shouldn't be difficult to stay on track.

Yesterday I had eggs for breakfast, and orange juice (sugar).
    Lunch was the bean casserole since we'd just drove 3 hours to get home from the reunion, after a pretty poor nights sleep, the last thing I wanted to be concerned with was not eating beans. there is brown sugar and mollasis in the beans.
    Dinner was a giant sweet potato with butter and little brown sugar. So, I had a little sugar with every meal yesterday.

Then....... rum and diet coke. and dark chocolate.

not such a good weekend.

But its monday......... and my weeks tend to be pretty good foodwise.

breakfast 3 eggs........... I probably won't eat any lunch. Dinner will be salmon and veggies.

Tummy issues today..... the first in over 2 weeks. Too much d. chocolate last night? maybe the beans? I'm thinking I may not make it to work today if things don't calm down.

Last night we watched extremely loud and incredibly close. It was an excellent movie -- but boy did it get the flood gates gushing! The little boy was a very good actor - and played his part really well! A tortured little soul trying to make sense out of his dad dying in the Twin Towers. He was also boarderline Aspergers, which really complicated things for him and his mom. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend! the problem is.......... I never knew my own dad. Mom was 3 month pregnant with me when my dad died in a car accident --- and I've spent my entire life trying to make sense of that....... and trying to come to terms with it......... and trying to make peace with it. She never married again so the only father figure I had was my Granddad - and he did a good job loving me, but it just wasn't the same as having a father. I've never really felt "whole". I could relate to the torture that little boy in the movie was living with - and I cried like a baby! My poor husband......... he was probably thinking "oh no, here we go again". So, warning......... if you see it, and you have father issues, be prepared!!

I need to do some prunning on the rhodies and azaleas soon........ before the leaves start to fall! Maybe when I get home from work today. Its a good day for yard work. Last night hubby and I planted 6 tall phlox and a hydrangea. The backyard is going to be full of color next spring! I love flowers! My color scheme is heavy on the purples.......... I think I need to add some pinks and whites into the mix. I have 5 orange poppies I need to move --- not sure where to put them. I planted poppies because they were my granddads favorite flower........ but I don't like orange at all! I should have opted for a different color. Maybe I'll just give them to my sister? We decided to put up two of the left over logs on the back side of the garage and string wire between them for a nice trellis for clematis. The garage wall is just a big empty space that needs some dressing up - and it would be a good way to tie things in with the pergola. I'll post pictures when we have it done. Hubby keeps telling me - NO more projects! But then he suggests something else....... I think he loves what we've done with the yard, but hates the hard work to get it done!

Better go .................. things to do.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I keep wanting to dive in and do a whole30 -- but then I change my mind and decide to be just strict paleo instead. I think thats where I'll stay. Strict paleo, but I'm not going to say I'm going to do it for X number of days - cuz that just sets me up for a fail. I am going to make a commitment of some sort though.
    Explain the difference to me because I didn't think there was one.