Page 50 of 512 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page 50

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy in Wonderland View Post
    Tomi, I'm curious to see if you notice any difference with the higher dose, I hope you do!
    I'm optimistic about the Armour - and am looking forward to feeling more energy and seeing some weight loss.

Today - weight is back down to 189.3 and I don't feel all puffy and bloated. I think this is my true weight at the moment. So, I am reaching for my low of 186 - and then I will count the rest at real weight loss again. 186 was June 22nd. I'd like to see that number by July 22nd - but that would just be too much to expect. But, a little hope never hurts! Doc wants to see me lose the weight slowly ---- 30 pounds over 5 years! UGH - thats 1/2 pound a month! No thank you! I'm going to lose this weight much faster than that! My GOAL is to weight 135 again - and I'm wanting to see that in a year. Thats 54 pounds from right now. So, thats a reasonable 1 pound a week. And if it comes off faster - then thats just a big fat bonus! Or maybe I should say a "skinny" bonus! I have a closet full of clothes waiting to be worn next summer! Lots of cute capris and summer tops! I WILL be wearing them. And all my bigger sizes will be sent to the Good Will! I want nothing but a closet full of medium sized tops and size 8 or under pants! Last time I weighed 135 I was a size 6 - and I'm hoping to get there again. Heck with the say they keep downsizing clothes I might even see a size 4! wouldn't that just be to darn bad!

I figure..... since I started this in November - these past months have been my learning curve part of the process. From here - I KNOW what I'm doing and now its time to get serious and put into action what I've learned. Seems reasonable, right? I mean I can't keep doing this and just PLAYING with it - I have to APPLY it!

I think ---- well, I'm optimistic that the thyroid issue has been a major part of my not being able to lose weight. Cuz honestly I haven't eaten more than 1500 calories in a day more than a handful of times over the past 9 months. I keep track every day! So, if my doc says I should be maintaining at 1500 without doing anything except sitting around reading books all day - then I should definitely have been losing! I've been pretty darn active! Mowing the grass 2 times a week (which translates into 1 mile of walking), walking in the neighborhood 1-2 miles several times a week. Biking several very long rides! Hiking a couple of times. At work I climb up and down those stairs at least 6 times a day, and I have stairs in my own home. So, I do a lot more than sit around and play on the computer or read books! Damn THYROID! And on top of that.......... my bowel issues seem to be a result of the thyroid issue as well! I have had NO diarrhea in, I think 6 days now........ maybe 7. I stopped even thinking about it cuz its just so darn nice to be normal again! All I know is -- I go "big potty" once a day like a normal person! YEAH! I'm more excited about that than I am about the prospect of losing weight! But, that won't be the case once I start to see the scales moving again..........

Okay.......... I'm on day 3 of my Tae Bo workout. LOVING IT! Its definitely an aerobic workout -- but the movements are not that 80's bouncy-jane fonda thing. Its kicking and punching to music. When I was doing this workout 12 years ago I was doing it in a karate studio with a small group of other women - it was fun! I even led the class several times when the leader wasn't feeling up to it. Thats when I weighed 135, was a size 6 and was in the best shape of my life. I was also 12 years younger! But, I'm loving it. I'm working at it slowly - so I'm quiting when I get fatigued. I'll be very excited when I can do the entire thing!

And on that note............. its time to get my Tae Bo booty moving!

Edit: Yesterday report:
    Calories: 1109
    Carbs: 16%
    Fats: 56%
    Proteins: 41%
    Last edited by tomi; 07-18-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Jenn -- I think it would be worth a shot! Do you think he eats enough to have gained that much weight? If not - then definitely have him get a complete physical. Let me know........ I'm curious!
    yes. he eats enough to gain 100 lbs in 9 years. Definitely. He's always eating sugary stuff, starchy stuff, wheat laced stuff.

I convinced him to get his T3 and T4 checked. His TSH was checked a few years ago and found to be normal, but I explained to him the TSH is just the hormone telling the Thyroid to work... he agreed to get it checked. Almost too willingly. lol He asked me to make him an appointment to get them checked.

In the world of MIL... guess what? She read Primal Blueprint and is willing to give it a shot. She said the Mayo Clinic has a DVD they gave her that pretty much says the same thing, but doesn't say anything about eliminating grains. She said it's interesting and she's gonna give it a shot, but part of me is skeptical considering the unconvincingly way she said it. I hope she goes into it wholeheartedly and doesn't try to half-arse it. Her words were "Yeah, I'm going to try to give up wheat, but it's going to be hard". I said in response that the hardest part is finding foods that don't contain wheat (and mentioned that even soy sauce contains wheat b/c wheat is EVERYWHERE) and told her that her surest bet to avoiding it is to get whole, fresh foods only and avoid anything that comes in a box. She told me the Mayo DVD teaches how to shop the perimeters and all that stuff. Well, that's fine and dandy, but eventually you WILL have to enter the center of the store for something, like say for spices or pasta sauce if you don't make your own, and she needs to be cognizant that wheat is infiltrated into just about everything. I mentioned that sugar is another serious offender, but she says that she's "giving up so much already, so sugar stays". Okie.... well, then. You won't experience the whole effect of what the PB can do for you, then. With any luck, eliminating grains will be enough for her to experience a difference, but I really think she's skeptical about whether or not this will work for her and as such she's going in little by little as opposed to going in with both feet, which I think will provide her with immediate feedback. She said it'll be difficult when they start going back to school, so I suggested just taking her own food, and she said she does, but it'll still be hard. I think if she's committed to making herself feel better, it won't be hard, but... I guess some people have commitment issues. lol

Anyhow, that's the update thus far. I suggested that she read It Starts with Food next b/c it really gets into how systemic inflammation causes (roughly) 90% of our problems, and even though she says the University of Iowa and Mayo both said that Fibro is not an inflammatory disease, It Starts with Food says that Fibro is essentially a symptom of systemic inflammation. Of course, maybe that's controversial in the medical field, I don't know... and that's why they say it's not a result of inflammation - or maybe they didn't consider systemic inflammation and only considered localized inflammation (like arthritis, sprained ankle type inflammatioin), because that's how she talked about it when she said they "tested" her for inflammation. who knows...

Either way, she's trying it, so hopefully she tries it well enough that it actually does something instead of feeding her skepticism.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

At least MIL is giving it some consideration! thats a step further than saying "no thanks". Give her some space to absorb it all and to do some experimenting. I guarantee if she seriously cuts down on wheats she will feel a difference. Maybe this would be a good time for me to write something that you could give her? Explain my experience, my failures etc. ???? let me know.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm glad you're seeing improvements, Tomi. That's very important. And I think your goals are very reasonable. I wonder if your doctor suggested such slow weight loss so as not to get you discouraged if the thyroid condition continued to be a problem. My friend has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's and they've been playing with her medication levels for MONTHS without any result. Maybe that's why she set yours so slow b/c she's expecting resistance to thyroid changes? idk... just speculating.

If you want to write to her, feel free! I'll gladly give it to her.

well, I suppose my doctor was trying to be "gentle" but she emphasized the importance of taking the weight off very slowly so it would stay off! but I do think a 1/2 pound a month is a bit too slow! I'd lose my momentum and give up at that rate - I need to see progress a bit faster.

Its midnight and I'm up having a snack of 3 fried eggs. I just can't sleep when I'm hungry. Plus, I think the new exercise is making my muscles protest a bit! I'm feeling tense and a bit achy tonight. It will pass, but I have to get through the initial shock that I'm forcing on my body. I am taking it slow and easy to start though. It just feels so good to be moving again!

total calories today: 1330
    Carbs: 20%
    Fats: 45%
    Proteins: 35%

okay - add some almonds to that............ I guess I'm not done midnight snacking. At least I'm not cheating on non-primal junk! Hubby ate the last of the ice cream tonight - thank goodness! I have been avoiding it and now I'm really glad its gone!

I guess I'll lurk a bit and try to go back to bed soon............. hope everyone else is sleeping soundly!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Hi Tomi. Just checking in. I hope you slept well.

Ugh! bad night. I finally got to sleep without waking up again in 15 minutes around 3 AM. I had to take another knock out pill (melatonin and 2 other things) and 2 MORE ibuprofen - so I took 6 between 11 PM and 3 AM - probably not the best choice for my kidneys - but its only once. I'm not going to do the Tae Bo this morning - since my muscles and joints are feeling a bit achy still, I don't want to overdo it and cause a fibro flare! So today is my down day. Yesterday I did the workout - well, 20 minutes of it (I think it was closer to 30, but I didn't really look at the clock when I started) - and then I mowed the yard and did some misc yard work after I got home from my job. I was pretty tired last night. And yet - I was achy and tense and couldn't sleep. I was a little better after I remembered to do my deep muscle stretches. I went the a Chiropractor many years ago because I was having a lot of pain in the deep glut muscles. He told me I carry a lot of tension there (does that mean I'm a tight ass??) and he showed me how to pull my knee up to my chest with my lower leg at a 90 degree at my chin (think 1/2 pretzel) - it digs down deep into those gluts and stretches things out very nicely --- but hurts like heck while I'm doing it! I have to hold the stretch for a minute or more sometimes to get things to relax.

I'm down to 188.8 this morning. Thats another 1/2 pound - and down from 194 on July 10th. Five pounds in 9 days - has to be something to this! Since I'm still eating the exact same as I have since I started this 9 months ago (cheats or no cheats) I'd say my new best friend (Armour Thyroid) has to doing a good a thing for my metabolism. I'm still praying to see 186 on the morning of July 22 --- just cuz I was at that weight on June 22 and I'd like to get started on the way down from there again. I have 3 days to see a 2.8 pound drop. Not likely, but not impossible either.

better go get ready for work.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm sorry you had such a crummy night! I hope tonight is better.

I get tight in the glutes too. I typically suffer from piriformis syndrome, which - literal translation - is tight piriformis muscles - so yes, tight ass. I do that same stretch after running, plus many more, to keep it loosened up or it'll pinch my sciatic nerve and send pain down my leg. Since changing to primal, I don't have to do those stretches religiously anymore - but I'm also not running. Might change when I start running again.

Maybe I have the same piriformas thingy you mentioned cuz I also get that sciatic nerve pinch and pain down my leg! It hurts like mad!

Looks I don't have to work on Monday YEAH for ME! I like suprise days off!

So --- after having a horrible nights sleep last night I got to work and my boss - (also longtime friend of many many years) said, "hey, you look rested!" REALLY? well, I did sleep from 3 AM to 11 AM with 3 times up to pee and at least 4 or 5 other wake ups -- I guess thats plenty of sleep if I look rested!

I forgot to take my thyroid pill this morning when hubby left for work - so I took it at noon. OOOPS, only 6 hours late. So, now at 4 pm I can take the rest of my meds. Can't take calcium or iron for 4 hours after taking the thyroid meds.

After my midnight snack of 3 fried eggs and a handfull of almonds I wasn't hungry until I got home from work - so, its now 4 pm and I'm just eating my first meal of the day. 2 oz of left over pork loin, and a cup of steamed veggies with a little colby/jack cheese melted on top. YUM. Dinner tonight is going to be breakfast! Yeah, I love having breakfast for dinner. Eggs scrambled with bacon peices and cheese alongside a pile of crispy hashed browns. I think I will be having fried sweet potatoes, hubby will have white potatoes.

Now - I need to go outside and do some gardening. My roses need pruned big time and I need to work on the pond a bit. I also have a hydrangea and 4 tall phlox that need to be planted. The hanging pots and containers all need to be watered and I need to spread a little fertilizer on some yellowy grass patches. If I'm feeling REALLY energetic after all that I will grab the wheel barrow and clean up the left over limbs from the Catalpa tree mishap. Then I need to get out the blower and do a final swish! Then my yard will be sorta up to my expectations............ I have HIGH hopes for my garden.......... someday I hope to see it as nice as it is in my dreams.

Here I go..............
    Read post #2626
    my motivation