Page 49 of 458 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page 49

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hope you see/feel a difference with the higher dose soon, and start sleeping better again too . Well at least that's not a problem here in Belgium, with daytime temperatures averaging 60F : we're sleeping with our winter duvets!
    The dog looks like he's really enjoying the ride with your sexy husband
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad to hear the news about your thyroid! Hopefully the increased dose will help you feel better.

Guess what! DH told me last night that FIL says MIL bought a book on Primal. I have no idea what book, but according to FIL, MIL claims she's already doing most of the stuff they say in the book. I cry bs on that simply b/c I know the book doesn't say that cakes, cookies, muffins and bread are ok... We'll see how she does with it. I just hope she doesn't give it a half hearted effort and then claim that it didn't help. I'd really like to see her give this an honest effort. We'll see what happens and I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your support while I struggle to accept her preferred method. Hopefully before long, she won't need the preferred method anymore.

Candy, I would LOVE to have 60 degree nights!!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Jenn - that is SOOOO encouraging! At least she is willing to do some investigating on the subject. And if she chooses to let it go - then you will need to respect that - just remember to be prepared to lay down some rules and boundaries if she chooses to continue her self medicating.

Candy --- our nights are fairly cool here as well --- down into the 60's, but I'm still not very comfortable. I think part of it my issue last night was that we ate dinner very late - we were eating at 8 pm. And I ate a big plate of stir fried veggies with Tandorri Chicken and a small baked potato! UGH! to much food for that close to bedtime! I'm going to have start eating earlier even if hubby has to work late. Which will mean having to cook twice - blah! Add to that my normal sleeping to hot on a memory foam mattress (they are notorious for causing hot sleeping - good for winter, but not so much for summer) Plus.......... I'm just learning about the symptoms of hypothyroidism........... night sweats and insomnia!!!

On a happier note: my bowel issues seem to be going away with the addition of the Armour thyroid. Doc says that thyroid issues can cause diarrhea (even though most of the literature says hypo- causes constipation "or other bowel issues". I guess I fall into the "other" catagory. For a TMI moment: I've not had diarrhea in 6 days! I'm poo-ing once or twice a day and they are happily quite solid and normal! I'm am very very excited about this!

So today I took my first dose of "double" - which is still only 30 mg OR mcg ??? not sure how Armour is dosed. I'm hoping the next few weeks will see some improvement in my energy, and maybe even see a little weight loss!

I'm up a bit more today - 192 - don't know whats up with that. Maybe the dinner last night had a bit too much salt or could be from starting my work out yesterday - I'm feeling sore and puffy today. Just about to go do my work out for this morning. Monday - Thursday is still my plan - with walking or biking over the weekends. I need to find a more fitting/comfortable sports bra - the one I have sucks!

okay yesterday report:

Took all supplements and Armour
    Worked out 15 minutes
    Breakfast: 5 oz left over salmon
    Late lunch (snack): Watermelon (don't know how much, I just ate chunks out of the bowl)
    Dinner: Stir fried veggies, 6 oz Tandorri Chicken Thighs, baked potato w/butter and 1 oz colby jack cheese
    Late night snack: 1/2 cup ice cream (I know --- but it was HOT and I was weak! )

Total calories: 1030
    Carbs: 27%
    Fats: 36%
    Protiens: 34%

thats a pretty good balance but maybe just a bit heavy on the carbs. Normally I'm under 20% on the carbs, but then much higher on the fat - maybe this will be a good place to stay and see if these balances will help overall with energy and weight loss. Besides, I do miss those good carbs. But I think the watermelon was too sugary cuz I was a bite achy last night ---- sugar or just the workout??? hard to say.

I miss Judg........... haven't heard much from her in a while. Hope she's doing okay.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Hi, great journal! I have RA and have found my way here to alleviate the pain, too. All the women in my family have thyroid issues (mostly Hashimoto's) so I'm hoping starting this lifestyle at age 37 will help me mitigate the genetic coding for autoimmune disease. My mom had better luck on Synthroid vs Armour but my cousin says the Armour controls better. Best of luck!

Thanks, Avocadogirl! (cute name) I hope you are doing well and don't follow in the family footsteps!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Hey Tomi... you know, my husband has gained 100 lbs+ since we met. He sweats like a cold soda on a hot day at night and has abnormal bowel movements (I've heard him). He is always tired and can fall asleep in SECONDS if given the chance. I wonder if he should have his thyroid checked.

We also have a memory foam bed. I agree - not meant for summer nights. Or pregnant women... lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

torena is offline Junior Member
    Hi Tomi,

I'm curious how your fibro symptoms are? I read the first few posts and.. well, there's 49 pages and I have two kids distracting me. :P My grandma will turn 70 this year and has pretty bad fibromyalgia, depression, migraines, and some weird neurological stuff the doctors don't have answers for (her skin feels like it's burning underneath), she's struggled with her weight all of her life and has diverticulitis and takes a LOT of medications. I keep trying to get her to read more about paleo but she's afraid with her fixed income, and some other excuses, that she can't do it. I would love to help ease her pain..

Congrats on your thyroid issues getting fixed! I found my endocrinologist 4 years ago after being diagnosed by a holistic MD, and she's fantastic. I'm actually about to go fill what will hopefully be the highest dose of synthroid I'll ever be on (my bloodwork levels are near that sweet spot) and I also take 30mg Armour. I am hoping eating primal will help me be able to reduce those meds over time!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Hey Tomi... you know, my husband has gained 100 lbs+ since we met. He sweats like a cold soda on a hot day at night and has abnormal bowel movements (I've heard him). He is always tired and can fall asleep in SECONDS if given the chance. I wonder if he should have his thyroid checked.

We also have a memory foam bed. I agree - not meant for summer nights. Or pregnant women... lol
    Jenn -- I think it would be worth a shot! Do you think he eats enough to have gained that much weight? If not - then definitely have him get a complete physical. Let me know........ I'm curious!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by torena View Post
    Hi Tomi,

I'm curious how your fibro symptoms are? I read the first few posts and.. well, there's 49 pages and I have two kids distracting me. :P My grandma will turn 70 this year and has pretty bad fibromyalgia, depression, migraines, and some weird neurological stuff the doctors don't have answers for (her skin feels like it's burning underneath), she's struggled with her weight all of her life and has diverticulitis and takes a LOT of medications. I keep trying to get her to read more about paleo but she's afraid with her fixed income, and some other excuses, that she can't do it. I would love to help ease her pain..

Congrats on your thyroid issues getting fixed! I found my endocrinologist 4 years ago after being diagnosed by a holistic MD, and she's fantastic. I'm actually about to go fill what will hopefully be the highest dose of synthroid I'll ever be on (my bloodwork levels are near that sweet spot) and I also take 30mg Armour. I am hoping eating primal will help me be able to reduce those meds over time!
    Hi Torena! Thanks for taking the time to read a bit of my journal. It is getting long! I started it in March I believe.

My fibro symptoms are not exhistant as long as I don't eat any grains and drastically limit my sugar. And NO artificial sweetners either. I was feeling better by day 3 of changing my diet. Once I ate about 1/2 cup of rice and was hurting within 2 hours. And the burning you're grandma is feeling is totally normal for fibro also. I have rubbed and scratched myself until I bleed from the burning, itching, pin-prickly feelings on my forearms. I have the scars to prove it! I did discover putting solid deoderant (like Sure) over the area will give some relief. You could suggest this for a short term fix for your grandma until she decides if she want to jump in with both feet.

Primal eating doesn't have to be a bank breaker. The IDEAL is grass fed and free range everything - and totally organic and nothing canned. But not everyone even here on MDA can afford to do that!!! Tell her she can eat regular store bought meat if thats what she can afford. Tuna and Salmon from the can work too. As do Sardines etc. I've found that by NOT buying all the junk food and prepared foods (think: rice a roni) it almost offsets the cost of eating more meat and fresh produce.

The more important thing for her, if she wants to use diet to treat her fibro - is to completely cut out grains (flours, rice, beans, corn and all cereals) and severely limit sugar. She should feel a difference in just days.

I'm hoping my thyroid is getting fixed!!! My doc said I'm just barely up into the normal range, so now we will increase my dose until we find that "sweet spot" like you! thanks!

Please let me know how things are going with your grandma!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Candy, I would LOVE to have 60 degree nights!!
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind if we had that at NIGHT, instead it's our average daytime temperature so far . But today the sun is shining and we were promised a whopping 75F! And then tomorrow it's rain again *sigh*.

Tomi, I'm curious to see if you notice any difference with the higher dose, I hope you do!
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)