Page 384 of 464 FirstFirst ... 284334374382383384385386394434 ... LastLast
Results 3,831 to 3,840 of 4635

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page 384

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have had manual transmissions in the past and thought they were fun, but after a while, that fun wore off. I hit a lot of lights on my way to and from work, and shifting through all the gears every block got annoying real quick. Plus, I find a manual transmission can take away from the luxury feel of a car. My car would not feel as fancy and "high end" if it had a manual transmission (it's not high end - it's just a Ford Fusion - but it's built to feel high end). However, a sporty car should be manual - like a Mustang or coupe trimmed car. I don't think, at this point in my life, that I'd want a manual transmission for my daily driver. I liked it when I was younger, but not anymore. Maybe I'm just old and boring now.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Maybe I will feel differently when I have kids
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

kmarie is online now Senior Member
    You can look into a warranty on a pre owned vehicle too.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Maybe I will feel differently when I have kids
    It actually has nothing to do with my kids... but come to think of it, having an automatic does prevent the car from accidentally being pumped into neutral and rolling down the driveway and into the street - or running the other child over.

Quote Originally Posted by kmarie View Post
    You can look into a warranty on a pre owned vehicle too.
    If you find one that's only a year or two old, it'll probably have a warranty. My MIL just bought a 2013 Impala with 24,000 miles on it (lease return) that has 2 years or 4 years of warranty left on it - I can't remember how far out Chevy warranties go.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Hubby's been doing some talking to his automotive world friends. Consensus is this......... buy a Jeep. They are well built and if something broken, dented or needs fixed the parts are easy to find and cheaper than any other car on the market. Hubby is very pumped about this because he's got his eye on a Rubicon. Even used Rubicons are costly. Hubby doesn't handle the money at home or work......... except to spend it so he doesn't have to think about how a car payment is going to impact our finances - and our goals. He's thinking SAFETY, RELIABILITY - and how HOT his wife will look driving it! (men!!!) I'm thinking payments, fuel economy and longevity. Anyway - our thoughts are now changed to Jeep shopping. According the tranny shop - RAV4 has a faulty transmission and its expensive to fix. According to the auto body shop both the RAV4 and the Forrester are tin cans in a crash. So - I guess we'll buying a Jeep. I need to do some research.

Had a surprise visit from my bestie and her hubby for lunch today! They leave on the 1st to go back to Korea. They signed another 2 year contract so I will be seeing her only twice a year until they move back to the states.

I think I ate too much butter yesterday. My gut doesn't hurt - but I've had numerous bathroom adventures today! Either that or I had too much potato yesterday. I had a large potato for lunch, and another for dinner. :/
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

tomi is offline Senior Member
    we decided to wait until next weekend to go shopping for a car. We need to do some more research and think more about payments and what we want/need in a car.

I stress ate cookies today...............
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

AutumnTiger is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like he is lucky to have you to help him handle the practicalities of life

Shame about the tummy, but I'm sure you'll get a handle on it soon.

I tested the soya lecithin theory last night with some of the Christmas chocolate - almost instant tummy ache, and the feeling that you wouldn't want to sneeze without a squeeze IYKWIM. Its hardly conclusive as there are other factors that might be involved, but its certainly indicative. Don't know if it will get fully tested as I'll be back to dark organic chocolate once the Christmas goodies are gone, which they nearly are - yay!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Sneeze without a squeeze...lol. That is a keeper.

PrimalCon New York
    Personally, and I know my opinion doesn't really matter, truth be told, but I won't buy a Jeep (or any other Chrysler or Chevy product) for political reasons. They couldn't even keep themselves afloat financially without bailout funds. What kind of company practices do they have if they can't manage themselves well enough to survive an economic hardship without borrowing from the public? If they can't keep their own checkbook in the black, what kind of shortcuts are they taking on cars to make up the difference?

I don't know. Maybe that's a silly reason to become loyal to a brand, but being financially secure is a plus in my book. I'm sure Chrysler and Chevy are managed differently now than they were before, but it's still a red mark in my eyes. I used to a Chrysler girl - even had a sticker on my car through college that said I'd rather drink from a toilet than drive a Ford... that viewpoint has shifted.

I don't know much about how Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat are built, but in comparing my Ford to my mom's Chevy, mine just feels more solid. There's more weight or heft to the door, which oddly enough, makes me feel safer.

Plus we've had really, really, REALLY good experiences with all of our Fords - trading them b/c we were ready for something newer/bigger, not because they had developed problems. The last four non-Ford cars we owned had issues. My Dodge Avenger developed an unidentifiable motor issue (it would start chugging and never threw a code), the engine light always came on in my Neon, same with the Stratus RT we just traded for my new car. Brad had a Grand Prix that blew a head gasket and cost him $500 after just 37,000 miles (convenient how it went out right after the warranty expired...). The only part we had to replace on our last fusion (which we still drive) was a wheel bearing - and that thing's got almost 200,000 miles on it. Brad's truck runs like a top, as have the three Ford trucks he had before that - never requiring any non-routine maintenance.

OH! Just thought of something. There is a guy here at work whose wife bought a new Jeep - I'm not sure the model (I tried to call him but he's in a meeting). They have spent MONTHS trying to get it fixed. Shortly after she bought it, all the dash lights and controls stopped working - so no radio, no lights in the info panel, part of the info panel is digital so that wasn't working (spedometer, etc). Chrysler kept it for WEEKS trying to fix the problem only to give them the run around. Kept saying they ordered the parts, and then when the parts were supposed to be in, suddenly they backpedaled and said they never actually got ordered, etc. Of course, that's probably the dealership more than Chrysler itself, but in the end they had to replace the entire dash in the Jeep and that took forever b/c they don't have any spare dashes laying around - according to what he was told. He said they had to call a Chrysler plant and have a replacement dash pulled off the line to replace the faulty one in their car... so be wary - maybe theirs was a fluke car, but even so, if it's a brand new model of car, be mindful that replacement parts may not be readily available should one be needed.

I'm not trying to sell you - in fact, I'm not sure why I'm voicing this opinion - other than to just make conversation. I guess I just thought it was a worthy discussion... I guess bottom line - stick with what you're comfortable with. If you're comfortable with Nissan, stick with Nissan. And definitely do your research. Brad's the auto researcher in our house - I buy cars based on what I like - he researches fuel mileage, customer satisfaction and all that jazz. I just like a car that looks pretty.