Page 376 of 550 FirstFirst ... 276326366374375376377378386426476 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,760 of 5491

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page 376

AutumnTiger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Jumping in .... with a question

Given the low carbs being consumed by anyone aiming for the Paleo sweet-spot for weight-loss would the FODMAPs approach bring any extra benefits? Obviously for people already diagnosed with IBS or other intestinal disorders there is great benefit in cutting out these trigger foods, but how about for people who are just trying to figure out the best paleo way?

The reason I ask is because I have probably got some intolerances including dairy, most likely yeast and possibly nightshades. Now reading about FODMAPs I can maybe identify with some things on there, too, and there appear to be lots of overlaps - maybe it was just FODMAPs all along, although I eat plenty of broccoli and seem to be OK, but I've long suspected onions give me an immediate phlegmy throat. Its hard to try and work these things out when trying to eat normally around the family and not lead children into fussy eating habits. I'm beginning to despair of ever figuring this out. it has got to the stage where hubs is actually offering to spend the 500 on the full anti-allergy test, but now I would need to carefully consider if the test would cover all the things on the above mentioned possible problems charts. Arrggghhh!

Sorry, didn't mean to be so negative, its just I didn't think I was that *ill* but the better I get the more the slightest wrong thing sets me off the wrong way. Also, I want to add variety into my diet not limit it even further. Your thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. (possibly on my thread, didn't mean to hijack this thread, but you guys are so knowledgeable!)

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Well, it is so much an individual thing. The FODMAPS show peppers on the safe list but I cannot eat them without bloating and gassiness. They are a nightshade vegetable. Onions are not my friend either but I have a whole different reaction than you do. Sure, I could still eat them but I do not like the way it makes me feel.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnTiger View Post
    Jumping in .... with a question

Given the low carbs being consumed by anyone aiming for the Paleo sweet-spot for weight-loss would the FODMAPs approach bring any extra benefits? Obviously for people already diagnosed with IBS or other intestinal disorders there is great benefit in cutting out these trigger foods, but how about for people who are just trying to figure out the best paleo way?

The reason I ask is because I have probably got some intolerances including dairy, most likely yeast and possibly nightshades. Now reading about FODMAPs I can maybe identify with some things on there, too, and there appear to be lots of overlaps - maybe it was just FODMAPs all along, although I eat plenty of broccoli and seem to be OK, but I've long suspected onions give me an immediate phlegmy throat. Its hard to try and work these things out when trying to eat normally around the family and not lead children into fussy eating habits. I'm beginning to despair of ever figuring this out. it has got to the stage where hubs is actually offering to spend the 500 on the full anti-allergy test, but now I would need to carefully consider if the test would cover all the things on the above mentioned possible problems charts. Arrggghhh!

Sorry, didn't mean to be so negative, its just I didn't think I was that *ill* but the better I get the more the slightest wrong thing sets me off the wrong way. Also, I want to add variety into my diet not limit it even further. Your thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. (possibly on my thread, didn't mean to hijack this thread, but you guys are so knowledgeable!)
    AutumnTiger! thanks for joining in on the conversation! It is absolutely a very personal thing. Honeybuns is right. Many people on this forum have been helping me figure this out and I GREATLY appreciate all the input I've gotten over the past couple years. What exactly are you dealing with???

I've seen a variety of FODMAPS lists and not one completely matched another. Here's my take on the whole thing.......... Find a group of foods that you are pretty confident are safe for you. Eat those ONLY for a week or two until your symptoms are at a minimum, or at best gone. Then add back in ONE food item at a time for a couple days and watch the results. Its a very slow and tedious process of elimination - but it really is the only way to find out what your particular system can handle. Keep a detailed diary. Write down each new addition and note the results. Are you feeling great? Or are you having gastric issues, sinus issues, skin issues, foggy brain or headaches? Anything - keep track.

I have found soy is an absolute NO NO!!! Used to think chocolate of any kind would give me a stomach ache and make me feel nauseous -- then one day I had that LIGHT BULB moment! I realized it was probably the SOY that was making me sick - soy in chocolate, soy in salad dressings (yes I was still eating the commercially made condiments), soybean oil in my vitamin D!!! Soy lecinthin in EVERYTHING!!! Soy in the protein shakes I was having for breakfast!!! I started reading labels and started eliminating all known sources of soy (which is easy now, cuz the FDA requires it be on every label). Within days I was feeling better! THEN, I ate a sweet potato for a couple days in a row, and bingo - diarrhea came back. Stop the sweet potato, no more diarrhea. White potatoes don't give me diarrhea. I've been eating a very limited diet for the past 2 weeks - basically eggs and bacon (uncured), meat, potatoes, carrots and rice - with some mild spices thrown in (we eat a lot of Indian food). I'm finding dairy needs to be on my NO list as well. Lactose intolerance is known, but now I'm suspecting casein sensitivity on top of that! I get terrible bloat! Like 4 months prego belly when I have dairy.

I did the Fructose Malabsorption breath test -- $129 to tell me I don't have it. That's a good thing - but now I need to find what foods my body likes and what foods it doesn't. I'm building my NO list - SOY is at the top!!! Next is sweet potato, I will be trying broccoli over the weekend.

I've been trying to get this figured out for about 2 years now. Its taken me this long to build up the fortitude to work through the tediousness of the elimination work. But, I believe I'm on the right path now. I'm feeling much better just by cutting the SOY, sweet potatoes and dairy.

I have a lot of plans for my future that don't include being slave to the toilet for 3 hours every morning!!!! And I have plans to be at a healthy weight for the rest of my life.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

[QUOTE=kmarie;1383341]
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Hi Kmarie! Welcome to my world.

Thanks, Tomi!

How much dark chocolate is okay? I started with a square or 2, but if hungry while out (which is always these days I grab a bar and eat way more! I get soy free, 85% +, but probably too much;(
    I think I need to get over the mindset of NEEDING something to eat while out or just on the way home from the market (blush...I'm only 5 min away).

I believe I read you're eliminating FODMAPS as well. I am too save for a few on the low list, like some avocado.
    Here's a great table showing FODMAPs in PRIMAL foods:

http://66.147.244.139/~thepale8/wp-c...DMAP-Table.jpg

Have a great day!
    K
    Well - I limit myself to one or 2 squares of soy free dark chocolate per day. Once in a while I will have more - but only to stop myself from going for a far worse option. My goal is to keep it at tops - 2 squares. That's been my rule of thumb for a very long time now - I have just recently found the soy free is necessary.

Changing our "mindset" is difficult! We get into patterns of snacking or munching or nibbling........ we have all kinds of words that make it sound so innocent! I'm working on NO SNACKING between meals - that's a part of Mark's primal rules. I'm an evening snacker - and a just got home from work snacker. I'm working on breaking those bad habits. If a quick bite is needed - keep it whole and healthy. Like a piece of fruit or some carrots. Dark chocolate tastes wonderful, and it has its benefits - but compared to an apple or an orange it probably doesn't hold up well. On the other hand............ even Mark says a square or 2 a day isn't going to hurt anything - so I'm allowing myself that ONE indulgence while I'm working on eating 100% primal and finding my unsafe foods that cause gut issues.

As for the FODMAPS foods........... a breath test told me I don't have fructose malabsorption, so I'm just going at it slow and easy to figure out what foods are triggering my gastric distress. Sweet potato and soy are the first very obvious ones to top the list.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

chrismas 2013.jpg

Christmas 2013 has arrived at our house!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Tomi, that's lovely! Are those colored lights or just a trick from t he ornaments reflecting?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thanks colored lights, white lights that twinkle, and LED larger bulbs Plus all our wonderfully collected ornaments!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to give the WHOLE challenge a try! Started today!
    2 org eggs, org spinach w Kerry gold butter! Yum! Salad w mixed super greens, a piece if wild salmon (w skin) w ev olive oil dressing. An 85% choc bar (no soy), 2 squares for snack at 2 and now at 4:00, 2 more. We have been running around playing at the park for 3 hrs and still here. I'm chasing kids and flung a kite so pretty much a lot of moving!
    I grabbed the EVOO at home and then picked up the salmon and salad at publix to bring to the park instead if grabbing something like Skinny Pop (non GMO popcorn I love and say I'm really getting for the ducks & squirrels
    Wish me luck
    !
    K

You can do it, Kmarie!

My day 3 is going well.

30 minutes on the treadmill with various inclines. goes fast when done while watching Despicable ME!
    3 eggs and bacon for breakfast.
    chicken/rice casserole for dinner - home made so I know what's in it
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Your home is beautiful! Enjoy that lovely tree!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold