Page 361 of 611 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363371411461 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,610 of 6105

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page 361

AutumnTiger is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    My personal belief is that you should, until you have it all dialed in, pick a plan and stick with it. ISWF/Whole30 is very good. The standard medical elimination diet (JJ Virgin) is a good starting place, but it is hard to implement without a lot of guidance. The good thing about a plan is that it is all laid out for you. If you try to go by what people say here, you will get pulled in a lot of different directions. Everyone is right in their own way. What works for me might not work for you. For me is was fairly simple - eliminating all grains worked. Everything else was just a detail. But that doesn't work for everyone.
    Huge +1 on this, as from my brief foray into the forums I have already been exposed to heaps of new ideas that could have me totally flummoxed if I wasn't sure how and which way I wanted to tackle this. Very sound advice.

Congrats on two great days - I hope the winning feeling continues

Pedidoc is offline Senior Member
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone - and hello AutumnTiger!

I will get the book.

Virgin Diet Day 3

Doing great so far on the Virgin Diet. It is definitely tough though. I need more variety in meat sources. Chicken, ground beef and fish. I will take out some steaks. And I think I will buy a turkey - tis the season! My tummy has been better - but still having a little pain and "looseness" I'm thinking if I have a true sensitivity to soy then last weeks multiple dives into the salad dressing caused irritation and inflammation and it will take a bit to heal.

I'm having ground beef and potato with ghee for breakfast.

Talked to my doctor/boss about my shoulder - and have done LOTS of online research. All sources tell me the same thing. Rest and NSAIDS and gentle movement -- and LOTS of time. Six months to a year of babying the injury. So - I guess I need to stock up on IcyHot and Arnica cream.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Or find an Active Release Techniques chiropractor! I kid you not! It speeds healing like you wouldn't believe!! The tendonitis in my foot went away quickly with zero rest, remember?

Here's the link if you want to look for one in your area: Active Release Techniques: A.R.T.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Active Release Therapy

ART is a patented system of soft tissue treatment that is the #1 choice for conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome, whiplash, back pain and other muscle, nerve and joint conditions. It has become the world wide gold standard in the treatment of such conditions. This year at the 25th Ironman Triathlon World Championship over 1000 Active Release Techniques treatments will be given in the week of the race. Why? Because elite athletes know that ART works fast, gets rid of the pain and improves performance.

ART is a procedure that reduces adhesive scar tissue that is formed when the body repairs injuries it suffers because of repetitive motion, bumps, falls, or blows. The formation of adhesive scar tissue in the tendons, ligaments and joints is often the primary culprit in long-term pain. Although muscles get injured most frequently, they also heal more easily on their own. Tendons, ligaments and joints, on the other hand, often take months or years to heal and often stay injured for a lifetime.

Adhesion is the medical term for scar tissue. Scar tissue is abnormal tissue that can form during the healing process. Scar tissue inside the body often connects two parts of the body that are not suppose to be connected, which can result in pain. Dense cohesive adhesions connect two pieces of tissue together tightly, similar to gluing two pieces of wood together. There is no space in-between the two pieces of tissue.

When the tissues of the body are injured the body repairs the damage area by laying down a fibers that surround the affected area; this is adhesive scar tissue. It's called "adhesive" because the fibers stick to the affected tissue and protect it while the injured tissue heals. That's the good news. Unfortunately, because the injured party often doesn't sufficiently rest the affected parts, the adhesive tissue is laid down in a chaotic fashion. The result is that the adhesions are not always laid down in smooth, even layers, and do not follow the direction of muscle action. The fibers thus are laid down against the grain, tightly constrict the tissues, and limit the range of motion. When motion beyond the range is attempted, pain results; avoiding pain therefore requires that one live with much reduced range of motion of the affected parts of the body.

Adhesive scar tissue can lead to pain in virtually any part of the body that's been injured, including the neck, back, shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand, hip, knee, ankle and foot. If you've been told you have tennis or golfer's elbow, rotator cuff tendonitis, heel spur, pinched nerves, sciatica, to name a few, then the chances are good that the cause of this pain is adhesive scar tissue.

Healthy soft tissue is healthy, it is smooth and slippery, allowing the muscles, nerves, blood vessels, and organs to move freely and function properly. When adhesions attach to muscles, their ability to work properly is decreased. When you have an adhesion on a nerve, numbness, tingling, or pain result.

Imagine a piece of scotch tape, the smooth side is healthy fascia, the sticky side is scar tissue or unhealthy fascia. Try rubbing both sides of the tape along your skin. The smooth side slips easily across your skin. The sticky side drags across your skin. The drag that you feel, the "pulling" sensation is how an adhesion affects the smooth functioning of your body.

Because Active Release Techniques (ART) is able to resolve chronic injury and pain that have not responded to other forms of therapy, it one of most sought after soft-tissue treatments in the world today, and is widely used on to treat sports-related injuries. Indeed, a variety of Olympic athletes from many countries cite the technique as one of the factors that help them win gold medals.

Removing adhesive scar tissue associated with soft tissue injury the primary goal of Active Release Therapy. Call the office today for an appointment to meet with Dr. Layman to learn more about the therapy, and to determine how it can help you.

Interesting.............. not sure it applies to my injuries though. But I'm willing to try it. Will check and see if they take my insurance. Layman Chiropractic. Its very near my office. Thanks for the tip.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    very interesting! When my mom fell & broke her hip earlier this year & after surgery & her hospital stay she started physical therapy & one of the things they did was massage that area where the incision was. Supposedly that helped break up the scar tissue that was forming & keep that area "soft". She hated that part of the therapy because it hurt so bad when they would touch that area. But I guess it worked cause she has very little scar tissue, that she can feel anyways.

So all that you posted makes such sense!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

my injury (I believe) is a torn or stretched tendon - or possibly several since I have pain in multiple areas of my shoulders. I'm certain I have done damage to the bicep tendon on the right because I have pain that radiates down my bicep.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    my injury (I believe) is a torn or stretched tendon - or possibly several since I have pain in multiple areas of my shoulders. I'm certain I have done damage to the bicep tendon on the right because I have pain that radiates down my bicep.
    You should really get that checked out with an MRI (or talk to your doctor about options?) to identify the issue if you haven't already. When Hulky tore his shoulder, we learned that people with labral tears will often feel pain going down the bicep because of how the tissue connects. It can only be repaired through surgery. Maybe this is not your situation, but waiting on pain seems like a bad idea to me.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Could also be a pinched nerve. MRI will help make that determination. MRI will tell if it's torn. If not, could just be a pinched nerve, in which case, ART can help immensely.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    so - back to seeing the doc for diagnosis......... I found (link deleted) I'm gonna give it a try.

Today I'm doing great - very little pain

Edit: Oooops - that link didn't work.......... try this........
    Last edited by tomi; 11-20-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation