Page 302 of 611 FirstFirst ... 202252292300301302303304312352402 ... LastLast
Results 3,011 to 3,020 of 6107

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page 302

tomi is offline Senior Member
    got the front porch pillars and window painted - and the front door jam. Not as much as I wanted to get done - but better than nothing.

Went to the lake and got rained out.................. bummer. Now we're home watching movies............. still fun cuz we're together. Stayed primal.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

weight 181.

Not feeling so good today. Since re-introducing fruits and veggies I've had gut issues every other day. Its been 10 days since I've gone back to eating a fully primal diet - and I've had 5 days of pain and diarrhea. Prior to that I had 15 days of the FODMAPS elimination diet and only 2 days of bad gut issues. One following the ice cream cake treat and one following a dinner heavy in onions and garlic. Today is especially bad. I ate chef salad yesterday -- and now its making a second appearance before getting flushed down the drain. Undigested greens don't feel so good going through the intestines. I think cantaloupe makes me sick as well because I was sick every day after eating it.

Not sure I'm going to do this much longer. I feel much better eating a diet heavy on protein. I'll just eat fruits and carbs in very small amounts and see what happens for a couple more weeks. But if I'm still getting sick this often then I'm going back to protein only.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Still sick. Been to that bathroom 5 times in 3 hours and I'm flushing undigested food down the toilet. I don't think I made the right move going back to eating fruits and veggies.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Its nearly 1 pm. I've been sick since 6:45 am. 6 hours of pain and running to the bathroom. I don't think there is anything left in my intestines now. I ate eggs and bacon just to get some food in me.

This totally sucks! and now I have to go to work.

Do they do intestinal transplants? I'd like to put in my order for entirely new GI tract.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Nope, just the poop transplants, which effectively repopulates your gut. I believe there's actually a clinic in Oregon that does this, one of the few in the States. I have only read positive things about fecal transplant.
    Fecal Transplant Doctors The Power of Poop

Okay, maybe marcadav will come in with some wisdom, but here are my thoughts on recovering from this most recent battery of digestive mess. Un-asked for, but the severity of your gut issues frightens me and I want to just say this anyway.

-You should have chicken stock/bone broth daily, at least once a day (a bowl or mug). Just cook the whole chicken in water, even without any veggies (though I'd recommend carrots), and then take out the skin & bones, shredding the meat, when it's all cooked. I cooked mine for about 4 hrs.
    -Continue with kombucha (no more than 1/2 bottle a day, it is possible to have too much of a good thing) while doing the broth & protein diet
    -Start taking digestive enzymes with each meal (Enzymedica Digest Gold is what has been recommended to me), this is esp. important because you do not have a gall bladder & need assistance breaking down the proteins for healing & muscle growth
    -After a few diarrhea-free days, try incorporating some pureed vegetables with your diet, like squash
    http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/fo...tolerances.pdf (this was linked by Chris Kresser) I know you have your own guide that you're referring to, but there are so many varieties, I think it might be helpful to make your own & go through any discrepancies to suit your own sensitivities.
    -Avoid raw foods & nuts (in any form)
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Tomi, as I see it, your all or nothing thinking/doing continues to create problems for you. This month alone you have gone from just protein, intermixed with chips, alcohol, and other treats, but no fruit/veggies to primal foods and fruit/veggies in abundance..

Several types of fruit together, in more than serving size portions
    Starches in addition to the fruits
    Kombucha-- in quadruple portion sizes. This, after I mentioned that a half of bottle was too much for ME.

My gut, which is I think is farther down the healing path than yours, would react violently to the swings and quantities you are subjecting yours to. Not to mention gut flora that handles fruit/veggies is probably low from your protein only days. Then you quickly add grapes, cantaloupe, potatoes, squash, bottles of kombucha. No wonder you are sick..

So, my suggestion is to reboot. Stay on the primal path but cut down on the quantity of fruit, veggies, starch you start with. Also slow down on the kombucha. I am not saying take these things out.

Your body needs time to heal. Even good things can be problematic when they are over used or added too quickly..

I'll grab a chicken on the way home and start it cooking in the crock pot. It does sound soothing - and my gut needs some soothing for sure. The kombucha is actually very soothing. As soon as I started drinking a bottle of GT's Gingerade when I sat down at my desk the pain and tension in my gut went away.

I am currently taking a very powerful probiotic from Melaleuca:

FlorifyŽ Probiotic Five billion colonies of flora from two probiotic strains support optimal digestive health, enhance your immune system, and boost vitamin and mineral absorption.

I take it with my morning cocktail of vitamins and supplements.

I have that list from the IBS Group saved on my computer. that is the list I was using when I first started the FODMAPS elimination phase. But I found a different one that uses the research from the doc in Australia that discovered fodmaps sensitivity, or at least made it more well known through her extensive research.

I can't say I'll be looking into the fecal transplant --- that's just too gross to even think about. EEEWWWW!!!!

I'm probably just pooping out all my vitamins.......... I wish I could just get them in injections - at least I would know my body was getting what it needed instead of wondering if I'm flushing all my money down the toilet.

I'm going to grab a bottle of plain kombucha at the store today and get started on my first scoby.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Tomi, as I see it, your all or nothing thinking/doing continues to create problems for you. This month alone you have gone from just protein, intermixed with chips, alcohol, and other treats, but no fruit/veggies to primal foods and fruit/veggies in abundance..

Several types of fruit together, in more than serving size portions
    Starches in addition to the fruits
    Kombucha-- in quadruple portion sizes. This, after I mentioned that a half of bottle was too much for ME.

My gut, which is I think is farther down the healing path than yours, would react violently to the swings and quantities you are subjecting yours to. Not to mention gut flora that handles fruit/veggies is probably low from your protein only days. Then you quickly add grapes, cantaloupe, potatoes, squash, bottles of kombucha. No wonder you are sick..

So, my suggestion is to reboot. Stay on the primal path but cut down on the quantity of fruit, veggies, starch you start with. Also slow down on the kombucha. I am not saying take these things out.

Your body needs time to heal. Even good things can be problematic when they are over used or added too quickly..
    I think you have the wrong idea of the quantities of things I have been eating. There certainly has been no abundance aside from the 1/2 cantaloupe I ate over a sat-sunday at the lake. Perhaps I should be eating a bite or 2 of the fruits and veggies. I buy a bag of grapes that is about 1.25 pounds and they last 4 days between my husband and myself, and the geese that love them too. I haven't eaten anything non-primal since Aug. 14. The acorn squash was small and I only ate about 1/4 of it. I drink one kombucha a day except for this last Friday when I had 2. I thought putting healthy stuff back into my gut was the goal.

Maybe it would easier to just tell you exactly what I've eaten in the past 11 days.

Aug 15: Eggs, chicken, fish Total gut elimination
    Aug 16: chicken, very small white potato, 1/4 acorn squash, butter and cashews
    Aug 17: eggs, chicken leg, hamburger, nuts, a few grapes and 1/4 cantaloupe
    Aug 18: hamburger, chicken, grapes, 1/4 cantaloupe, nuts, eggs
    Aug 19: eggs, cashews, chef salad, honey mustard Total gut elimination
    Aug 20: egg, chicken, nuts, steak, potato, butter, grapes
    Aug 21: egg, cashews, grapes, 1/8 cantaloupe, paleo meatloaf, cauliflower
    Aug 22: egg, cashews, grapes, 1/8 cantaloupe, paleo meatloaf, cauliflower Total gut elimination
    Aug 23: eggs, cashews, steak
    Aug 24: eggs, steak, sweet potato, grapes Total Gut elimination
    Aug 25: eggs, bacon, potato, chef salad w/honey mustard
    Aug 26: eggs, bacon, fish, shrimp, potato Total gut elimination

the gut elimination all happened in the mornings - before eating the food listed for that day.

Each serving of fruits and veggies is small because I've been trying to be careful not to over do it. Even the quantity of lettuce in the chef salads was maybe 3 cups lightly packed. There was a dusting of shredded carrots and TB of green onions.

Honestly - when I was eating the protein diet and threw in the occasional treats of corn chips, rum and a piece of ice cream cake I was still sick less than I have been for the past 11 days.

This is what I ate for the days prior to returning to a normal primal diet:

eggs and bacon, a salmon fillet, 3 small wild boar chops
    eggs, roasted chicken, burger patty, 1 boar chop
    eggs, chicken breast, ketchup and ranch dressing
    eggs and bacon, chicken, corn chips
    salmon, jerky, hamburger, hotdog, corn chips
    eggs and bacon, corn chips, nuts, potato, ice cream cake
    3 eggs, burger, nuts, corn chips, shrimp, ketchup, butter
    3eggs, burger, chicken, shrimp, ketchup, butter, nuts, chips
    3 eggs, bacon, nuts, steak(w/onions & garlic), honey mustard
    3 eggs, burger, ketchup
    1.5 eggs, bacon, corn chips, nuts, sushi

I had rum twice during those 11 days.

I had only 2 days of diarrhea during that time. Once following the ice cream cake and once following the steak with onions and garlic. Otherwise I was feeling good. Yes, I was having corn chips nearly every day - but the quantity was maybe 10 chips. I'm afraid you think I binge on a 1/2 bag a day. I don't binge on anything. Even when I eat "off" primal stuff my total calories never go over 1500. I will say having something non-primal everyday has a cumulative effect - and I have taken that into account. It could be the non primal build up is what caused the 1 day of sickies and not the onions and garlic. Most definitely the ice cream cake caused the sickies the following day.

I'm going to continue with eating small portions of fruit and veggies each day for a while longer - but I don't expect this to fix my gut. I know you fixed your problems this way - but that doesn't mean my gut issues are the same as yours.

I have to do what I believe is the right thing for me. FODMAPS seemed to be the right path - eliminating foods high in FODMAPS and slowly reintroducing things that are low in fermentable saccharides. Yes its restrictive and yes its difficult to follow --- but if it works then its worth it.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I hope you're feeling better soon. I can definitely understand your desire to go back to protein only. I can't say whether or not that's the right thing for your gut as I don't know. I just hope you find what works for you long term soon.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You're right, we all must find what works for us. I hope you find your path and feel better soon.