Page 279 of 611 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281289329379 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,790 of 6105

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page 279

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Wanted to add that even if you don't feel confident enough to stick to whole30 for 30 days, pick ONE THING and obstain from it for 30 days. Be it run, wheat, sugar, whatever... obstain for 30 whole days and see how you feel. Then assess how things are, then move on to the next.

One of the trends I see is that you pick something and you see it through for a few days, but then you move onto something else right away without really giving anything a chance to. Think of it like your workouts - which you are doing GREAT with, by the way. Find something to do diet wise and stick with it for an extended period of time and see how it works before moving onto something else.

These are just my thoughts... I've been in the weight loss game since 2000 thanks to the Army and I see how I used to be in a lot of your posts. It took an extreme change and commitment to that change for me to FINALLY see lasting results (Thank you Primal Blueprint).
    good thoughts, Jenn Thanks for the insight I'm giving up rum for sure!!! The pitfalls are certainly not worth whatever bennies I think there are.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

me and the jump rope found a kinship this morning.............. so far 180 jumps. More to come. But first - I must meet with Sadie at Barre3 online.

Edit: 12 minutes with Sadie. Intensive leg work!!
    Last edited by tomi; 07-31-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm impressed with the jump roping. I'm not a fan so I've never given it a fair shake. And I don't think there's any way in he!! I'll be able to do double-unders!! Too much coordination required! lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    The inflammation in your body is likely doing 2 things to you. First, it is hanging on to excess water and thus "weight". By cutting out the foods that you react poorly to, you will cut down on inflammation and thus lose some weight. There is also some research that suggests that inflammation in the body can cause depression. So the fact that the rum/diet coke is causing you to feel depressed isn't too far out of line. The book I mentioned discusses this in terms of cancer patients and the treatment actually causing depression since it induces inflammation to kill the cancer cells. In your case, there's no cancer to kill. I think you should definitely pick 1 thing to eliminate at a time. Once you're able to successfully abstain (21-30 days), pick your next battle. Perhaps by trying to do everything at once you are setting yourself up for failure. The final goal is the best health possible, no matter what path you take to get there.

Not even try the double unders!

I keep getting the same advice from everyone........... pick one thing and win that battle before moving on to the next. Good advice - except ---- multiple things are causing issues.

Rum
    fodmaps foods
    nuts

eliminating them all is necessary but difficult. I think I need to find those big girls panties again. Must have slipped off somewhere over the past few days!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Not even try the double unders!

I keep getting the same advice from everyone........... pick one thing and win that battle before moving on to the next. Good advice - except ---- multiple things are causing issues.

Rum
    fodmaps foods
    nuts

eliminating them all is necessary but difficult. I think I need to find those big girls panties again. Must have slipped off somewhere over the past few days!
    I don't think you can pinpoint what is causing your issues because there hasn't been enough time between "hits" of any possible offender to have a clue as to the cause. I think anything can irritate an already messed up gut.

I have had your tummy troubles. It took months of no grains, no alcohol before my diarrhea issues were not a routine thing for me.

You've been given some good advice. I would add that working on the all/nothing/absolute thinking might be helpful.

You've done very well implementing routine exercise into your life. I think you might benefit from appying the same strategy to food-- start small and change things in increments.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    You've done very well implementing routine exercise into your life. I think you might benefit from appying the same strategy to food-- start small and change things in increments.
    I keep trying to do the elimination part of the fodmaps protocol. What I've read says to cut out ALL sources of fructose (even the safe list items) and then add them back in one at a time. I need to remember its a cumulative effect. So I need to game plan for adding - and a time before deciding if that item is safe or not.

I guess MONTHS just seems toooooooo difficult and I keep screwing up.

What do you all think of doing this.............

Elimination and healing time: 2 weeks ........ nothing but eggs/meat/fish. No condiments. ONLY water. Olive oil for cooking.

Experimental time: 1 week of adding only 1 single food. If I'm good at the end of the week then its safe - but if I'm not it goes on the Maybe or Hell NO list --- depending on severity of the reaction. If I get a definitely bad reaction then the experiment for that food is over and it goes on the Hell NO list.

I will start with the items on the safe list of this fodmaps guide.

So --- does this sound reasonable???
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Jump rope - 264.

My goal is to do AT LEAST one more than the day before. Or the time before, cuz I'm sure I will skip a day here and there.

Barre3 - 12 minutes.

Today one my co-workers, who I have worked with since 2001 told me, "Tomi, you are losing weight, I don't care what you're scales say, you are much smaller through the hips" I needed that today. I'm still the same size pants - but I think I'm reshaping what goes into them. Something is working - even if it isn't showing on the scale.

I will start the elimination phase as of today. I've eaten eggs and bacon and a piece of salmon. I'm planning pork chops for dinner. Will add something for hubby. I will also eliminate bacon for the time being. There could be something in the curing process that is irritating my gut.

I'm trying to help my mom with some stuff she needs for her re-evaluation of her rent. She is on a HUD program that gives her very reduced rent. She's on a limited income. I need 2 forms from Social Security that I can only get by setting up a user account online for her. I tried this morning and was put on 24 hour suspension because the information I gave them did not match their records. GRRRR.......... I also need a letter from her doctor saying he has prescribed a list of OTC medications. The doctors office is being stubborn about providing it. The meds are not listed in her MEDS LIST so the staff is arguing with me. I really hate doing this kind of stuff - and I hate it even more when it becomes difficult!!!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    The jump rope really reshaped my hips and thighs. I'm glad that not only did that person notice but that they commented on it. Validation for all your hard work!

(must get busy on the jump rope before Tomi leaves me behind. Shhh....)
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    I keep trying to do the elimination part of the fodmaps protocol. What I've read says to cut out ALL sources of fructose (even the safe list items) and then add them back in one at a time. I need to remember its a cumulative effect. So I need to game plan for adding - and a time before deciding if that item is safe or not.

I guess MONTHS just seems toooooooo difficult and I keep screwing up.

What do you all think of doing this.............

Elimination and healing time: 2 weeks ........ nothing but eggs/meat/fish. No condiments. ONLY water. Olive oil for cooking.

Experimental time: 1 week of adding only 1 single food. If I'm good at the end of the week then its safe - but if I'm not it goes on the Maybe or Hell NO list --- depending on severity of the reaction. If I get a definitely bad reaction then the experiment for that food is over and it goes on the Hell NO list.

I will start with the items on the safe list of this fodmaps guide.

So --- does this sound reasonable???
    I don't know about your plan. Eating just eggs/meat/fish would drive me crazy-- I dislike fish and only tolerate scrambled eggs with add ons/ins.

My go to breakfast when I started was scrambled eggs(more whites than yolk) topped with reduced sugar ketchup and bacon. Lately it's been scrambled eggs with a small amounts of diced ham, diced potato, mushrooms and topped with cheese.

If it were me I would come from the angle of grains, alcohol, sugar, being the gut busters. I would avoid those 3 things for at least 30 days. I would not be super restrictive in terms of fodmaps, in the hope that problem foods under this umbrella are not causational.

I would not expect the tummy troubles to stop immediately but lessen over time as long as grains, alcohol, sugar are totally absent. I would not let tummy troubles lead me off the plan I established. After the predetermined time frame has passed I would re-evaluate and consider stricter measures if NO improvement in tummy issues is being seen.

If issues are improving but still occurring I would stay the course for another 30 days and evaluate again.

My rationale-- You can always tighten things up. But starting with severe restrictions is IMO a recipe for disaster. You have tried that and not been able to stick with it.

So my suggestion-- start with basic primal, stick with it, and see if staying the course brings tummy relief/success over time. And, use the success you are having in your exercise routine as a motivator, guide, and positive incentive to stay the food course you set.

You can do it!!!!
    Last edited by marcadav; 07-31-2013 at 10:58 PM.