Page 226 of 511 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 5102

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page 226

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Any time I go for a long hike my weight goes up only to drop a few days later.

Maybe the diarrhea isn't food or supplement related.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

kalli889 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Any time I go for a long hike my weight goes up only to drop a few days later.
    Good to know!
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing some research on IBS and other digestive issues this morning. I came across Fructose Malabsorption and the use of eliminating FODMAPS. I may give this a try. I printed out a chart of safe and unsafe foods. Interestingly I see that FODMAPS stands for "Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides, and Polyols". My new supplements state they are based on "OLIGO technology". Could this be why I've been sicker since I started taking them? It could be the very structure of the supplements that are making my stomach issues worse! GRRRR!

So - these supplements are going back to Melaleuca for a refund! I also will stop using the protein shakes as they contain INULIN - said to be harmful for Fructose Malabsorption sufferers. Although for whole30 I've cut those anyway. Hubby will have to use up the rest of it. I'll go back to my old supplements. I don't seem to have any trouble taking my vitamins on a empty stomach - sometimes the B's get to me. Generally I take the morning ones before I eat and the night ones shortly after dinner, so empty morning, not empty evening.

I know Mark has talked about INULIN - but I can't remember if he said it was good or bad........ need to look at that.

Yes - whole30 says not to weigh but I chose to ignore that "suggestion" They want you to focus on eating properly ONLY - but I'm still going to weigh everyday. I'm not letting it get to me when I see an increase because I do see the patterns and understand the cause.

I've had so many tests to try to find out what is causing my digestive issues - blood tests, stool tests, endoscopy, colonoscopy - is there anything else I can try except the process of elimination?

FODMAPS is my next experiment. I will have to say goodbye to some of my favorite foods.......... like broccoli, cauliflower and watermelon! UGH! I think at first I will simply go total fruit and veggie elimination, for a couple weeks, to see if there is an overgrowth of bad bacteria in my gut. Doing this will starve off the bad bacteria - then I can begin to re-introduce the low-fodmaps foods and see what happens. Luckily sweet potato/yams are on the approved list! As is squash and several other of my favorites. I'm not a big fruit eater as almost all fruit tends to give me stomach aches so that won't be hard - except for the watermelon....... I do LOVE watermelon. Last time I had a glass of orange juice I swear they added a box of ex-lax to it!

So --- today I start my elimination diet.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Phew that is tough, but since you plan to do whole 30 anyway, Now is the time.

I am going to try not to weigh and measure for June, but it will be tough.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Tomi, it is my humble opinion that not weighing for 30 days and not worrying about calories are the most important lessons W30 may offer-- for you. I would like to see you to really shift your focus from weight/pounds and size to health and positive/healthy daily choices.

As the "people pleaser" in me reads your posts about not weighing ---- I want to say "ok, for you guys, I won't weigh myself for the next 29 days" but - I'd be lying.

I really am focusing my attention more to healthy living - food choices and exercise/movement/play. The scale is just one measurement of how I'm doing in those areas, and I'm working on making it a very small measurement. I am making progress in that area - otherwise the 2 pound gain this morning would have set me into a tizzy! I will get to the point when the number on the scale means very little - but I'm not there yet. Please don't give up on me though - please stay with me and encourage me to be moving in that direction.

The more I think about the Fructose Malabsorption - the more it fits - and I'm excited to see if this experiment of ZERO carbs for 2 weeks is going to help me feel better. It just makes sense to me since I'm so sensitive to so many fruits. Apples, watermelon, oranges - all have almost immediate effect on my tummy - pain and gas within minutes of eating them. Last night I had a large portion of roasted veggies, heavy on cauliflower and broccoli, and this morning I in pain and running to the bathroom. Those are all foods on the don't eat side of the FODMAPS chart. I have to say I'm not looking forward to a diet of only healthy fats and protein for 2 weeks - I may have to add in some really safe veggies - green beans are supposed to be one of the really safe ones. I found it interesting that the only form of alcohol listed on the DON'T eat was rum. I definitely don't have an immediate reaction to rum, but it could one of the things that don't have effect for 24-72 hours after consuming. Makes it hard to pinpoint when there is such a large window of time.

Food for today:
    3 eggs fried in ghee (I think I'm supposed to give up ghee also - have to use olive oil only)
    8 oz Kokanee
    a few pieces of pork rinds.

That's only ~700 calories - so I'll need to eat something else when we get back from putting the boat in the lake. I guess if we stop to get something I can try to order a chicken sandwich and ditch the bread. Between here and the lake there is nothing but a couple of little burger joints. Better go to the freezer and figure out what to thaw out for the next 2 weeks. I was looking at a couple of turkey legs at the store the other day - maybe I'll buy that? I have fish, chicken, ground beef and steaks in the freezer. I also have shrimp, and maybe some pork loin. Bacon is out unless I can find some that has not been cured with sugar. I'll buy some ground pork and fry up some patties for dinners. I could make curry and eat it with green beans instead of rice.

I guess this sorta forces me into a state of ketosis huh? I feel like I'm going all Atkins Induction for 2 weeks.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Don't forget to get enough sodium. By about day 4, you will need to get about 5000mg / day. Unfortunately you will not be able to use bouillon cubes on W30.

I'll just season all my meat with lots of salt. That seems like a lot of sodium. Isn't the suggested max something like 2500 mg? I don't know much about that - so please help me on this one.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

That is the suggested max if you were eating normally, but when you are NK, you lose a lot more sodium through fluid flushing.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Tomi, it is my humble opinion that not weighing for 30 days and not worrying about calories are the most important lessons W30 may offer-- for you. I would like to see you to really shift your focus from weight/pounds and size to health and positive/healthy daily choices.
    AGREE!!! (Although I don't abide)

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Bacon is out unless I can find some that has not been cured with sugar.

What about looking for an uncured bacon? I get Farmland brand (it's a midwestern company so in a sense the meat could be considered local for me b/c most of the farms are in Iowa or Illinois). It uses a small amount of turbinado sugar (which is a form of brown sugar, I believe), but there is zero grams per serving (3 slices is one serving).

You could also get bacon from Wellness Meats. It's 100% Whole30 approved, but costs like $10 a pound. Pricy stuff, but I think it was Kalli that bought some and said it's so good. She used to call it Gold Plated Bacon.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)