1. Getting your head firmly in the game-- decide what you know you will do and what you know you wont.write it down.think about it. Commit
2. Decide on a eating protocol--ie 3 meals, one snack all primal foods, planned treats. Then decide to stick with it for a predetermined time frame without tweaking. 4-6 wks is imo a good time frame.
3. Decide on an exercise plan. For example--walking 3 times a week + a dvd. Do this for a predetermined time (the same 4-6 wks as diet) adding walking minutes or days when you feel like it but always doing the initial decided upon number of days.
4. Decide how the things you enjoy--rum/coke, cheesecake, ice cream, etc will fit into your life. I believe thinking things we love must be banished sets us up for failure. Knowing you can have them under predetermined circumstances lets you have them under control.
5. Find success in the doing of #1-4. Not by the number on the scale
6. Do not weigh for the predetermined eating plan/exercise time frame. Take measurements at the start of the time frame and end. Weigh at the end if you can see it as a measuring tool, not as an indication of success/failure.
I hope this helps. If you'd like to preview the dvds i have before buying you are more than welcome to come over. If you'd like, we could do dinner on one of your husband's study nights.